Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So what was the problem that made you have to stop and restart it? If it was OK to drive after you stopped and restarted, why was'nt it OK to just to keep driving, even if it set off the check engine light? Another false panic alarm?
Whats better than having a company fix it after the warranty is up? A company that build an instrument panel that never, or at least nearl never goes out. It can't be that hard, no other IP or odometer has ver gone out on any of my other vehicles.
It ai'nt no fun taking the MH to a WH svc cntr and it ai'nt free either. Time and gas, somebody to follow you and take you back can be costly in time nd gas.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
So what was the problem that made you have to stop and restart it? If it was OK to drive after you stopped and restarted, why was'nt it OK to just to keep driving, even if it set off the check engine light? Another false panic alarm?
Whats better than having a company fix it after the warranty is up? A company that build an instrument panel that never, or at least nearl never goes out. It can't be that hard, no other IP or odometer has ver gone out on any of my other vehicles.
It ai'nt no fun taking the MH to a WH svc cntr and it ai'nt free either. Time and gas, somebody to follow you and take you back can be costly in time nd gas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MAX. All I could do is crawl along on the shoulder in reduced engine power mode and not much else.

DriVer is right about the Ford Triton "limp Mode. I had a 03 f350 v-10 that had a failed leaking water pumped that kicked into some kind of "limp mode" to get me to service safely. My wifes 04 GMC Denali had an engine sensor fail and it too had some kind of "limp mode" just enough to keep the engine running according to the GMC mechanic.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have seen comments of diesel powered motorhomes going into limp mode.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:58 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I realize other vehicles have limpmode also, even my boat engine manual mentions it but the WH limp mode seems to come on when nothing is wrong except the computer that activates the REP.
The only good reasons I can think of for the computer to ruin your trip and leave you barely able to move to the shoulder of the road is if it's imminent failure that's about to happen anyway, like losing oil pressure or severe overheating. Even then, we should have the choice as to where is a safe spot to stop.
Sometimes our families safety is more important than that dumb hunk of iron under the hood or in the doghouse.
Altho other vehicles may have the REP , I'v never heard of it happening on other vehicles and most people don't even realize that their engine has it.
Denver, Colorado
Old 07-08-2007, 05:12 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
I realize other vehicles have limpmode also, even my boat engine manual mentions it but the WH limp mode seems to come on when nothing is wrong except the computer that activates the REP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, How can you continue to trumpet that reduced engine power (REP) will occur if nothing is wrong. I think you're "Chicken Little'ing" this thing to death .... The sky is not falling!

Your Workhorse powered motorhome will not generate a code or enter a REP mode if there isn't anything wrong. If this were the case we would all be sitting on the side of the road. Comon Max - Just because you've never heard of a vehicle entering an REP mode does not mean that it does not happen and there isn't a purpose for the process.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Driver , you read what you want and ignore the rest and respond to what you want, that's chickenlittle!
What was wrong with yours, that it was so imperitive to stop , that it sent you into limp mode?
Mine did it, turned the engine off and back on, and it was fine for 1600 miles but the check engine stayed on. Svc cntr could'nt find any thing wrong and reset the light , and told me to see if it come back on.
True, maybe another brands REP has come on, but I have'nt heard of it. Please post a link about another brand going into false REP
Denver, Colorado
Old 07-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How can you continue to defend Actia, when they have made the only odometer, IP that gets unreadable? What about the fuel and temperature gauges going 'off the chart?"
Any links to other brands doing this????
It's a lemon and even tho you saY THEY CONTINUE TO IMPROVE, I have'nt had a vehicle speedometer fail since my '56 Chevy's speedometer cable broke after 150,000 miles.
Denver, Colorado
Old 07-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Max - I'll meet you half way and we can talk about it. See you in Branson ... I gotta go and start packing my motorhome.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:06 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wish, That sounds like fun but maybe when I retire . Have a fun ,safe trip.
Denver, Colorado
Old 07-08-2007, 10:12 AM   #24

I realize other vehicles have limpmode also, even my boat engine manual mentions it but the WH limp mode seems to come on when nothing is wrong except the computer that activates the REP.
The only good reasons I can think of for the computer to ruin your trip and leave you barely able to move to the shoulder of the road is if it's imminent failure that's about to happen anyway, like losing oil pressure or severe overheating. Even then, we should have the choice as to where is a safe spot to stop.
Sometimes our families safety is more important than that dumb hunk of iron under the hood or in the doghouse.
Altho other vehicles may have the REP , I'v never heard of it happening on other vehicles and most people don't even realize that their engine has it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

max49;

Probably doesn't really count, but late-model Harley's have a limp-mode due to engine overheating. Motor runs really rough, fuel is reduced, but you do have power to pull off the road. Typically doesn't happen at speed, but slow, stop-and-go type traffic...

I agree with you; in almost all cases that I have heard of, simply restarting the motor caused the 'fault' to go away and the motor ran perfect afterwards, though a Check Engine light may stay on. Soooo... I haven't seen a post saying WHY a motor goes into limp-mode and then by simply restarting it, it's out of limp mode... at least with my Harley, I know that it reset itself because I pulled over for a period of time and let the motor cool down...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:
.... I haven't seen a post saying WHY a motor goes into limp-mode and then by simply restarting it, it's out of limp mode...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Richard 34A, We are practically driving a mobile computer. If any anomaly such as a transient spike, open ground, under or over volt occurs on the bus of the vehicle this could trigger a (reduced engine power) REP code.

My REP was directly related to the TCM (Throttle Control Module). A code was retained that pointed to it. The TCM is a silver (in some vehicles) box mounted directly to the lower left of the steering column. I shut down the vehicle and waited for all about a minute and restarted the engine. The RPM came back on line and I was able to rev up the engine. I put the vehicle in gear and drove away.

The basic fundamental here is that whatever upset the ECM was recorded in the memory and turning the key on essentially rebooted (reset) the computer and it was able to function normally. If the fault is persistent at this moment if would indicate a more severe hardware failure is evident and most likely the hardware may have to be replaced to allow the vehicle to proceed. Such a continued failure may require that the vehicle be towed to a service center. I simply like it a lot when the computer brushes itself off and comes back on-line and allows you to proceed.

Have we not all had to reboot our home computers at one point or another?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say this about limp mode.

I'd rather have it than not have it. I am a retired police dispatcher, in my 25 years on the job I had calls about many cars dead in the road. The car just flat quit. In fact it has happened to both myself, my wife and my daughter. now, so far when it's happened to me, I like to keep my options open when I drive and I had enough speed to find my way to the shoulder.

When it happened to my daughter, She too kept a cool head and coasted to the shoulder, called me, called AAA and I came out and put out the triangles. Waited for the hook, retrieved the triangles and took her on to class, returned to the dealer and arranged to have the wiring harness replaced (Major job, grounds failed)

My wife stopped dead in the left lane. I responded and since the car was not now rolling... Had no choice but to spread the triangles and wait on AAA. She took my car on to work, I picked her up and we picked up the car on the way home from the repair shop (Threw a belt)

But a "Limp off the road" Mode... Well, should I ever need it, i'll be glad I have it.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #27
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have we not all had to reboot our home computers at one point or another? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me! I run Windoze.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you're missing the point. REP will not keep your engine going at limp speed if it quits because of another failure. REP does not protect the occupants and is only there to protect the mfgr warranty. Especially for people who don't pay any attention to the warning lights and gauges. WH likes beepers and buzzers, they could just put a couple more of them on instead of limp mode til they get all the problems worked out. Don't forget, we have'nt heard from a single WH owner who says REP saved his engine. Just practice 'fire drills'
I'd rather have the choice whether I needed to drive with broken belt or not.
REP mode does'nt come on before you break a belt, at least I hope not. REP , if working as intended, is only to protect the engine before a catastrophic failure like no oil or extremely high temperature.
Denver, Colorado