Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #1

Problems galore-HELP

I folks I have a 2004 Bounder on a W22 Chasis. We don't use it much- a few years ago after leaving it sit for a year (with double Stabil in it) we made a run from Phila. to the Outer Banks. Stopped in Md for a break and when I started up the engine backfired and sputtered and died--I restarted and it did this a couple more times. Got off the highway and refueled--guage siad we were down a 1/4 but ended up pumping in around 40 gal (over half). When I returned I took it to a WH dealer and they checked the fuel guage and made some sort of repair. Folks on the forum said I must of had water in the fuel lines and to replace the fuel filter (which I did ) and add dry gas (did this as well). Used the MH last year on a shorter trip with no problems--this year we went to the Outer Banks and then down to Myrtle Beach. Stopped at a rest stop in VA and when I started up she popped and sputtered. Limped off to the closest gas station and fueled up (~35 gal)--problem dissapeared. When I got to the outer banks I changed fuel filters (this one had about 500 mi on it) and went to a NAPA store to get some dry gas--ended up with Sea Foam. Stalled when I refueled on the way to MB but thought nothing of it. Went to auto store in MB and bought 4 cans of Sea Foam (to treat the 75 gal). On the way home today stopped on I95 at the Maryland House didn't refuel and she died --popped backfired sputtered on the merge back on to 95 --lucky for me people were kind enough and let me get across the 4 lanes--dumped my 4th can of Sea Foam and limped off the next exit and refueled (hit the cement island at the station and bent 2 doors-not my day) -- she ran all the rest of the way home fine. Seems that when I drop to a guage reading of 1/4 or a bit more down and stop the problem pops up. There is no hesitation or indication of a problem unless I stop--plus the fuel guage is way off as I'm filling up with about a half or more tankful. Are your guages this far off? Could I have 1/2 a tank of water?
Don't know what to do.
Sorry for the long diatribe but I'm ready to pack it in.

Bill
Dr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #2

Sounds like a leak somewhere in your fuel line - most likely the pickup inside the tank, since it seems sensitive to fuel level. In such a case, the fuel pump can take care of pumping enough fuel as long as the leak isn't too large - but once the engine is shut down, the leak allows the gas to flow back into the tank, leaving a long section of the fuel line empty, and the fuel pump can't catch up. Once you fill the tank back above the point where the leak is, the fuel pump can get gas thru both the normal point, as well as thru the leakage point - and away you go!

And as for storing gas for longer periods of time, especially with Ethanol - NO WAY, "Stabil" or otherwise!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bill View Post
Are your gauges this far off? Could I have 1/2 a tank of water? Don't know what to do ..
Bill, What a weird set of circumstances! What condition were the fuel filters when you replaced them? Did rust flakes come out .. was there any dirty gas ... did you blow through the filter?

I might be tempted to pull the tank and see what's going on with the sender and pickup tube but I don't want to recommend that route unless you're convinced it's a fuel delivery thing.

My gauges are not often right but I'm accustomed to them. Just so long as they do the same thing each time I fill, I'm good.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I guess it's possible to have a half a tank of water but I doubt it. When you stop for gas and loosen the gas cap do you hear a giant sucking sound? I could be the vent cap is not working and causing a vacuum in the gas tank starving the engine of fuel. If you can, it would be a good idea to stick a plastic tube to the bottom of the gas tank and try to siphon some fuel(maybe a pint) to determine the water situation in your tank.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #5

Re sputtering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Bill, What a weird set of circumstances! What condition were the fuel filters when you replaced them? Did rust flakes come out .. was there any dirty gas ... did you blow through the filter?

I might be tempted to pull the tank and see what's going on with the sender and pickup tube but I don't want to recommend that route unless you're convinced it's a fuel delivery thing.

My gauges are not often right but I'm accustomed to them. Just so long as they do the same thing each time I fill, I'm good.

I shook the 500 mile filter out to see if there was anything there was some orange colored droplets almost like a gel --when the gasoline evaporated there was a tan dust--I saved the filter and will take another look at it tomorrow.
Thanks for the input.
Bill
Dr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #6

It's not all that uncommon for the arm of the fuel level float assembly to become bent or misaligned, and then rub on the fuel pickup or other tank innards, causing the gauge to read inaccurately, and an eventual hole in the pickup - when that happens, you usually end up with *2* problems at the same time...

Quote:
I shook the 500 mile filter out to see if there was anything there was some orange colored droplets almost like a gel.
YUP - there's that bad gas symptom - potential bad news, if any got inside the fuel delivery system. carb or injection system...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Some units were plagued with a problem of the returned fuel from the regulator heating up the fuel pump and causing it to fail. The fix (I think) was to remove the fuel pump and relocate the return line so it doesn’t flow onto the pump. A temporary fix is to keep the tank on the full side so more of the fuel pump is immersed in fuel.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First a lot of the gas you buy today has around 10% (or less) Ethanol in it (The pump should tell you) I mention this because this amount of alcohol in the gas generally insures you DO NOT have problems with water in the tank, so long as you buy good gas that is..

That said.. I know of one gas station where my English Ford did not run on what they pumped...... Turns out the owner was topping off his storage tanks with a garden hose.. He has a new job now supplying a different auto part. Or rather making it (FRAUD conviction)

But Dry Gas.... Just so you know... Is Ethanol.. IF you are getting 8-10 percent out of the pump.. I would not add more.

Letting any engine sit for a long period of time.. NOT GOOD.. I might add this also applies to the brakes on the Workhorse (And several other vehicles too, like all of them)

However.. If I had to take a guess.

Electrical problem. likely the ground on the gas tank.

This would affect both Fuel Delivery AND the gas gauge.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dr Bill, I'm no expert but I had to have the fuel pump on my 460 Ford Cl C and also the fuel pump changed on my current MH with the 8.1 . Prior to changing them the fix was to keep the tank above half full. The more gas you have, the more coolant your fuel pump has.

I never had any more problems; but I kinda learned my lesson and always try to keep gas tanks with a pump inside at half full or more now
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote