Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertcamper View Post
It would be interesting to see a list of brands and models that have plug wire burning issues. For example do Southwinds not see this problem, or am I just lucky?
dezertcamper, If it hasn't happened by now it's all together likely that it'll never happen. I have a 38ft Winnie 38G (read heavy) and I have not experienced a failed plug wire. What I see is that different models from the same manufacturer may exhibit this problem and short of running these environments in some type of computer simulator that can analyze air flow characteristics (read very expensive) I just can't figure it.

Good news is that Chris Christy figured it out and helped in the design of the vent kit from a NASCAR application where disk brakes are passively vented by use of hoses. All that's required is a small temperature reduction below the threshold of where the wire fails. The vent kit works with the stock GM wires BTW. Using a Taylor makes that connection all the more robust.

Although I never had a plug wire failure with the OE wires, I upgraded to Taylors for the performance benefit. So if someone needs Taylors they get a BOGO on the benefits.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The dam was on a 98/6.5 Trek and was built out of sheet metal. I also added a 4"x30" scoop across the bottom. When finished all air was forced through the radiator. I'm still in the planning stage for our 07 Trek and have not decided on the materials. There is no overheating problems with this one so it is not a high priority, hopefully, sometime this winter.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyk View Post
Since I've done this-- no more water problems. I haven't experienced the burnt wires either.
Woody,
Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Although I never had a plug wire failure with the OE wires, I upgraded to Taylors for the performance benefit. So if someone needs Taylors they get a BOGO on the benefits.
This year I replaced my OEM wires with Borg Warner Extreme Duty wires for a whopping $40 at the local Kragen Auto Parts. I know some will say I need a better wire (Taylors), but I have yet to burn one or have one come apart when pulling it off the spark plug. And these wires have a lifetime warrenty. So as long as the outside does not show being burnt, then I am covered. Just a thought for those people who are not having burnt plug wire issues and might want to save a few bucks.
dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more thing for the DIY you can build your own air duct system for a fraction of what it cost to buy and install the WH system. One example is a place called pitstopusa.com. You can order the 3" air ducts for $17 each. These are identical to the ones in the WH kit. Allstar PN# ALL42141. They also have many different sizes and configurations so you can make it fit you grill if this one does not work for you. Then you can get the hose from them or buy it from a local hose shop. I got mine from a local shop as it was cheaper, under $5 a foot. The hose I used was rated for 325 degrees.

Then if you want to put heat sheilds around your plug wire boots or if you want to cover the whole wire, you can buy those at pitstopusa.com also. To cover 8 plug wire boots will cost you $16 and these can be added to any wire. Their made by DEI PN# DSN010409.
dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertcamper View Post
This year I replaced my OEM wires with Borg Warner Extreme Duty wires for a whopping $40 at the local Kragen Auto Parts. I know some will say I need a better wire (Taylors), but I have yet to burn one or have one come apart when pulling it off the spark plug. And these wires have a lifetime warrenty. So as long as the outside does not show being burnt, then I am covered. Just a thought for those people who are not having burnt plug wire issues and might want to save a few bucks.
Another vote for the "Borg Warner select" wires.....
I've got 18,000 miles on mine with NO problems...

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #35

Quote:
I've had the engine misfiring in heavy down pours and found that the air filter was soaked with water especially when water was splashed up from a passing semi. I put a 5 inch curved piece of heavy duty plastic on the front of the tuba intake and held it is place with platic tie raps. This prevents the water from being dumped down the air intake. Since I've done this-- no more water problems. I haven't experienced the burnt wires either.

Woody
Excellent point - glad you mentioned it!

Our '88 Winnie has a short and direct cool air intake running from the air cleaner to an open port at the front engine bulkhead/air dam - I had cleaned out a small mouse nest from that area, and had planned to install a screen at the opening to close out varmints - but now will consider a water baffle as well - thanks for the head's up!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Thank you all for all the GREAT information! I am ordering the Taylor extremes to make it home , then I will install the vent system. I am believing the new wires will be ok for the distance home as the originals (second set) lasted 5K .

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok I installed the Tayor Extremes, thought I would make it home then install the vent kit,or have it installed. The original wires as I said before lasted 5K before the miss happened again. Well here I am 600 miles down the road and the last two wires on the drivers side I think #5 & #7 are already burnt. I replaced the two burnt Taylor Ex, with the good originals I saved. I put the originals on the way I found them ,with the original heat tubes. The remaining Taylors are (as I was told) without the metal heat shields. Looks like I really need the vent kit!!! There is nothing worse than having stuff go wrong every time we hit the road. One would think Workhorse, or Winnebago would do a recall instead of letting the customer get upset with the unit, and manufacturer.

Equinox Toad
Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
One would think Workhorse, or Winnebago would do a recall instead of letting the customer get upset with the unit, and manufacturer.
stearn, There is no recall announced for this problem which only affects a small number of coaches. Workhorse on the other hand has provided a fix for this problem by producing and installing a vent kit under warranty. That said I have seen where a vent kit was not effective and a wire still burned out and this was also a Taylor Extreme. This was on an 05 Trek P-32.

Do not discard the Taylors because I believe they are warrantied and may be able to be replaced.

In the majority of retro fit Workhorse Vent Kits, the cooling strategy appears to be working quite well. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Ok I installed the Tayor Extremes, thought I would make it home then install the vent kit,or have it installed. The original wires as I said before lasted 5K before the miss happened again. Well here I am 600 miles down the road and the last two wires on the drivers side I think #5 & #7 are already burnt. I replaced the two burnt Taylor Ex, with the good originals I saved. I put the originals on the way I found them ,with the original heat tubes. The remaining Taylors are (as I was told) without the metal heat shields. Looks like I really need the vent kit!!! There is nothing worse than having stuff go wrong every time we hit the road. One would think Workhorse, or Winnebago would do a recall instead of letting the customer get upset with the unit, and manufacturer.
I, too installed a set of 409s with the fiberglass boots, plus I transferred the OEM aluminum heat shields to the new plug boots and still developed a miss that would'nt become evident until I had been on the road for 30 or 40 miles. So, here I climb under and double check all the wires for a secure connection and as I attempted to reseat one of them, the wire pulled off the plug, but the metal collar stayed on the plug -just great. I guess Made in the USA isn't what it used to be. Now I have to buy another set at $150 for 1 plug wire. I would have thought that at that price, they would hold up a little better How about it stearn, do you want to split the cost on a set so we will both have extras?

BTW 2 emails to Taylor tech service remain unanswered.Here's one of them:

----- Original Message ----- From: Seminole Collision
To: jaskren@taylorvertex.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:50 AM
Subject: Extreme duty plug wire

Hello -Hope you can help. I have a 2007 Winnebago motorhome based on the Workhorse [8.1 L] chassis. I had installed a set 0f 409 wires PN # 99615 and attempted to remove a plug wire and pulled off the plug terminal. My question is, which repair kit do I have to buy for this application? thanks, Gordon Louderback 850-547-3405
Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Gordon,

If you don't get any help from Taylor... let me know and I will break a set and sell you a couple of wires for cost plus S/H.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I called Taylor and talked to a rep. he is sending me two new wires to replace the ones that burnt. "Simcoll" I would think they would do the same for you. In my conversation we talked about using the original heat shields then sliding the sock over it. It sounds like you did that and it did not make a difference. My coach goes to the shop tomorrow, they said they will talk to the WH rep, and don't expect a problem getting the vent kit. I sure hope to get this problem fixed !! I will post an update later.

Equinox Toad
Old 04-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #42

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Gentlemen, as I have said before.... Fix the problem not the symptom. Burnt plug wires are a symptom and poor air flow is the problem.

There isn't a plug wire made that can take prolonged heat without damage.