Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Bob,

That is some nice DIY Engineering Work....

What you have done and my system are basically one in the same.

For me the "butt dyno" didn't feel any improvement. But, I did notice less noise. I attribute his to "moving" the air intake opening and thus the sound is now out of the engine compartment. My CAI has also solved the water ingestion problem. I have driven through some very heavy rain and standing water with no ill effects.

The only other mod I can think of is to shorten the air intake tube, move the MAF sensor and air filter so it is as straight as possible to the throttle body. This really depends on how each coach is assembled. Plus we would have to make a before and after dyno run.

One last note.... If we look at what we have done I am sure that WCC would try to void any warranty claims that had to do with a bad MAF sensor or Throttle Body problems.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #16

Corkey,

There is no "Perfect Solution" just the one that works for you.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Corkey,

There is no "Perfect Solution" just the one that works for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>True, and what works for me will most likely come about from some of the really good stuff I'm picking up from this board. An intake/filter mod is in my future and it sure helps to know what "doesn't" work along with the success stories.

The more I see/read, the more I want to see/read.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the comments. I haven't driven it at all since building this particular DIY. Probably won't get it out, other then my once a month warmup down the highway and back while in storage. At least until we leave right after Xmas for Arizona and then Texas for the winter. So I'm not sure how much it will help. As I mentioned earlier though, when just sitting in the driveway and goosing the throttle I hear a bit of a whistle at higher rpm that I didn't hear before. This is probably due to the shape and boxy-ness &lt;-(is this a word?) of the design. Which is why there will be a Version 2 if I feel or hear any improvement at all.

I recall quite a few owners complaining about the water ingestion based on the stock Workhorse "Tuba" design. Although I've never had that problem on the two Workhorse chassis' that I've owned. Gotta admit though I haven't driven too much in heavy rain. So, ingesting water could be a problem, only time will tell and if it does I'll need to come up with a modification. Likewise I'm probably going to put a screen over the opening to keep the bigger bugs and small birds from ending up in the box.

Dale's <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only other mod I can think of is to shorten the air intake tube, move the MAF sensor and air filter so it is as straight as possible to the throttle body. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I too have thought about this modification. As you mentioned, I'm not sure I have enougth room either to do a straight shot. But it seems like we could come up with something alot better then Workhorse did.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #19

In Workhorses defense they had to meet DOT regs, probably Calif CARB regs and OEM coach builder req's (low noise/placement/etc). But, I think, as Bob said, could come up with a "Better Idea).

But on the other hand Workhorse, in my opinion, they didn't take in any customer input or learn much as they use the same air basic filter system and the same fuel filter in the UFO gas version of the chassis.

How many years did it take them to learn that you can't stack a tranny cooler, a oil cooler, an AC condenser in front of the radiator an expect it to cool everything. Yea, they added some fans and offered a very expensive AC add on that doesn't really work.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Update on my latest air intake scoop. Finally got it out on the road the other day. Can't believe how much quieter it is. I guess by just sucking the air in from the grill opening compared to inside behind the grill made all the difference. So my findings are the same as your's Dale, much quieter.

Also, I built a wire cover (same type and size wire the factory tuba has in it) to keep the large bugs and small birds out.

Will be leaving for Texas Gulf Coast in about 3 weeks. Raton Pass between Colorado & New Mexico will be a better test so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

My next step will be to build a contoured plastic molded version, probably next summer.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote