Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rattle type engine noise on hills

I have a 8.1 workhorse 2007 W24 chassis on a 2008 Winnebago 35L Adventurer, when I am pulling a hill I get a low rattling noise from what I think is the right side of the engine. I do not have it during normal operation and no codes or warnings. Anyone have a idea as to the cause.

Mike Grimes
Winnebago 35L
Mike Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

First thing comes to mine is spark knock. When going up a hill there is more engine load and cylinder pressures. I would be looking at stuff like engine coolant temps, proper airflow, good quality gas. Check for any stored DTCs. Maybe the PCM has triggered a fault for a knock sensor that is supposed to prevent this from occurring. Try downshifting to see if it goes away with higher engine RPMs. Maybe someone else will have some other ideas also.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

If you know your going to pull some hills, try mixing on some higher octane gas. I always use half 87 and half 89. This advise was given to me by the previous owner. He sai using all regular would cause engine knock. Pulled some really tough hills with no problems
Robertandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #4

Sounds like pre ignition (pinging) to me. Could be an exhaust leak also. ECM is supposed to detect pinging and adjust timing accordingly. Try higher octane fuel. Unresolved pinging will result in the piston ring lands being hammered and eventual engine failure.

Good luck !
rlancast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I appreciate the information, I will try increasing the fuel and a fuel additive to increase octane and see if this solves problem. I thought the anti knock system was suppose to adjust the mixture to keep it from pre ignition pinging. If that fixes the problem temporarily is that a indication there is something wrong with the injection system or sensors?
Mike Grimes
Winnebago 35L
Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike,

It sounds like pre-ignition or pinging which should be avoided at all costs. If the o2 sensors are adjusting the fuel/air mixture correctly and there is not a lot of carbon build up, the knock sensors should adjust the timing to stop the rattle. One way to clean out the engine is to use Techron fuel additive. At the Workhorse Chassis Motorhome Club rally in Ohio a couple of years ago the WH tech strongly recommended using Techron once a year in the prescribed amount to keep the engine running clean. It takes several bottles to treat a full tank and it will clean everthing in the fuel system and combustion chamber. Is the air filter clean? It could cause a lean condition as well.

Another thing to check is the actual coolant level. Don't trust the overflow tank as it will not read correctly if the radiator has gotten low. The radiator cap must be removed to check the level. Also remember the temperature guage does not move to hot unless the engine gets very warm. Has the clutch fan been running a lot? It comes on when the air temp thru the radiator reaches 158 degrees. Before I changed to a 180 degree thermostat Mine would come on at 206 and go off at 200. Now I never go over 200, even today when it was 95 degrees out.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 09-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have since getting back from Alaska trip discovered I have a leaking exhaust gasket which may be the cause, I am going to have that replaced and then if problem still there followup on other suggestions. Thanks for all the help I did go to higher octane fuel on return through Canada and believe that was a good measure of insurance as their fuel is not as high octane as we have in Oklahoma.
Mike Grimes
Winnebago Adventurer 35L
Old 09-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will jump on the pre-ignition ping bandwagon as well.

However the exhaust manufould is a good idea too.

Easy to tell.. Run your tank down below 1/4 full, put in about 20 gallons of PREMIMUM, if that fixes it. PING.

Have the engine looked at by someone who knows modern engines better than I.. Since it should NOT do that on a modern computer controlled engine.

That is.. Less you bought 85 octaine gas in the mountains and are now in teh 87 mninimum valley. (in which case 20 gallons of high test is the cure)
Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will jump on the pre-ignition ping bandwagon as well.

However the exhaust manufould is a good idea too.

Easy to tell.. Run your tank down below 1/4 full, put in about 20 gallons of PREMIMUM, if that fixes it. PING.

Have the engine looked at by someone who knows modern engines better than I.. Since it should NOT do that on a modern computer controlled engine.

That is.. Less you bought 85 octaine gas in the mountains and are now in teh 87 mninimum valley. (in which case 20 gallons of high test is the cure)
Old 09-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Could be a lifter needs to be adjusted if it is a rattle .

Thanks,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thinking outside the box we had to have the tips of our exhaust pipes (side exits) angled down slightly because when climbing a steep incline the tips would pull up and rattle against the underside of the side compartments. Once the tips were angled down slightly we never had the rattling sound.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote