Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone ever had their PCM re-programed on their 8.1 WH? If for what reason and was it done by a shop other than WH.
Father Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone ever had their PCM re-programed on their 8.1 WH? If for what reason and was it done by a shop other than WH.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Mulcahy:
Has anyone ever had their PCM re-programed on their 8.1 WH? If for what reason and was it done by a shop other than WH. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a very unusual question. What's up?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are after market chips or re-programing programs that you can use to either increase your power or gas mileage, just wandering if WH PCM can be re-program to suit your driving needs.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #5

The only re-programers available for the 8.1 are for Chevy/GMC pickups. The last information I heard the Workhorse PMC is custom programmed for Workhorse and is not the same program as in the pickup. Same thing with the Allison computer they are different for the truck and the Workhorse chassis. This is evident in Workhorse did not have grade braking till 2005 the pickup has had it since the 8.1l and Allison was introduced in 2001.

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 AM   #6

I have been trying to find out more information on this topic. Following are two web sites where they discuss re-programming.
http://www.ultradistributing.com/
http://pcmforless.com/
I spoke with Brian at PCMforless and have decided to try their product on my 2002 Winnebago Brave 34D Workhorse 8.1 with Allison 5 speed. I provided the CAT scale weights on my motorhome and weights on my toad - a Malibu Maxx. I am not sure what the the results will be but in reviewing performance charts on different performance upgrades, it looks like a re-program will provide more significant results in the rpm rnage for my actual driving habits. I keep a log in my vehicles and record gas mileage at each fill up. In addition I constantly moitor my rpms as I travel. I plan to test the new module next week if it arrives in time for my next trip and will report results back on this forum if it will be helpul to others. My current intent is not to return my orginal core so that I can have a spare. By the way the Ultradistributing site seems to be directed at motorhome owners. I am anticipating additional HP and Torque and expect to see RPMs decrease slightly and hope for a 1 mpg improvement. After several years of measuring gas mileage, High has been 7.1 Low has been 5.3 and for the last 4000 miles I have averaged 6.3mpg. The 6.3mpg is after I converted to synthetic engine oil - Mobile 1. Other than that change my unit is completely stock. I will provide input after I complete my test.

New Shocks
rwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 AM   #7

rwash, the UltraPower reprogram has been a hot item on the forums here. Suggest you do a seach on "Ultrapower" or "Brazels RV".
Old 03-16-2006, 05:19 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just back from 1.8k FL. trip, With a JESSE BUBB tuned PCM, $75.00 tune with your
PCM or $158.00 and he supplies a puter and you keep your old as a spare. Thats what
I did. But before I left I installe the BANKS AIR INTAKE, $350+shipping. Now I have
ship the puter back to Mr. Bubb in Warsaw IN. and get the unit TUNED for the BANKS
Air. I just pay shipping both ways.

The jury is still out on all the advantages, power is up, as it did not hunt for
another gear coming over the overpasses, as it did in the past. But the valves
wanted to rattle for a couple of seconds, when it did kick down. That was stopped
by going to mid-grade gas. He also turned on both fans when I pull of the interstate,
as I have always let the engine idle for a couple of min. before shutdown.
Did the same with my old P-30 and the 8.1. Also took of the speed limiter, But I
backed out at 80mph. I ran out of B----!!!!!!!!

When I send it back for the Banks adj. I also want him to turn the fans on for a
couple of min. after shutdown, to move hot air out of the engine compartment.

MPG was up to just over 8, but in all honesty I had a lean to the tank opening
on the last fill up. From a previous high of 7.7!

During the winter I did install new MSD wires and NGK Platinum plugs, just cause!

I know this does not compare to Mikes tune, BUT neither does the price!!TENN.VOL.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:00 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
rwash, welcome to IRV2
The thread "Ultrapower evaluation" just below here is one of the biggest since starting Nov/18/05 with 199 replieds and 15076 views on irv2. Just about every question has been asked about the good and bad points of this upgrade, thru this discussion many of us going to the Nat Rally in Tenn. will be having the reprogram done. After hearing and seeing the results from RVers its well worth it with the raising gas prices, and a better performing engine.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> But the valves
wanted to rattle for a couple of seconds, when it did kick down. That was stopped
by going to mid-grade gas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds like pre-detonation, indicating your timing is advancing too far. Not good.

Having to go to a higher octane gas will certainly negate any fuel mileage increase.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Per-detonation, no question about it. I hope to have it solved when he tunes for the
Banks Air Intake. As I had to run Premium gas in my Harley when I opened the air intake
and installled a new exhaust system. But once the puter was remaped all was well.TENN.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:27 AM   #12

Installed the pcm module from pcmforless.com and these are my initial results. First it was not a true test since I had driven about 50 miles on the tank of gas before installing the pcm module. After pulling the RV out of the drive we left it running while we hooked up the tow car and loaded the remainder of the items for the trip - it idled for about 30 minutes. We drove to a rally at Myrtle Beach. Total weight of toad is 3600lbs and weight of RV with toad was 23280lbs. Mainly drove 65-70mph for interstate portion of trip. Once near Myrtle Beach encourted many red lights and in town driving conditions. Observations: RPM 2400@70 mph, 2300@65 mph, 2000@60 mph, 1800@55 mph and when I slowed to 45 to 50 transmission stayed in 5th and experienced 1700 rpms. At idle noticed rpms dropped to 600 rpms. Engine ran smoother and quiter, in fact at stop lights I could not hear engine running. Overall the engine seemed to make less noise and acceleration was smooth. Filled up when I returned to Raleigh and when pump cut off continued to add as much fuel as possible. Traveled 439 miles on tank of fuel and gas milage was 7.3 mpg. Previous 4000 mile average was 6.3 mpg and all time high was 7.1. I will continue to test and provide updates.

New Shocks
rwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #13

RWASH: thanks for your follow-on post and WELCOME to iRV2.com Looks like we failed to give you a hearty hello when you first posted. Please give us more results as you progress down the road with your tune. ED
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #14

Originally posted by TENN.VOL:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just back from 1.8k FL. trip, With a JESSE BUBB tuned PCM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the heck is a Jesse Bubb tune? ED
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote