Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #1

3000 mile Newmar Canyon Star on W22 Chassis. Went to move unit today noted a oil spot, looked in rear pass side wheel and found pool of about an ounce collecting in the rim. Looked on the inside and found an oily streak going down the tire. Looking at the posts appears to be differential fluid from a rear axle seal leak.

Nearest service ctr 25 min away, they say they cannot take us until Oct 1. Can I drive it , or ill advised??

Some posts talk about applying a silicone bead. I am definitely technically challenged, but is this something I can do to avoid further leaking until I get it in for service?? Or do I have to have some major tools, jack up the MH etc??

We are being put out 3 weeks before they will even look at it. Thanks for any help
doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #2

3000 mile Newmar Canyon Star on W22 Chassis. Went to move unit today noted a oil spot, looked in rear pass side wheel and found pool of about an ounce collecting in the rim. Looked on the inside and found an oily streak going down the tire. Looking at the posts appears to be differential fluid from a rear axle seal leak.

Nearest service ctr 25 min away, they say they cannot take us until Oct 1. Can I drive it , or ill advised??

Some posts talk about applying a silicone bead. I am definitely technically challenged, but is this something I can do to avoid further leaking until I get it in for service?? Or do I have to have some major tools, jack up the MH etc??

We are being put out 3 weeks before they will even look at it. Thanks for any help
Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
doko... The concern I would have is if the oil is leaking on and saturating the brake. Also if it's just been sitting you may not see any brake contamination. If it's truly leaking while driving then you'll see it slinging it around the inside of the wheel and that's not good. If neither of these conditions exist then you might be ok till you can get it in.

I'm not an expert here, and I'm sure there will be more experienced advisers to chime in. Just my opinion.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #4

Hi, I have a 2003 w-22 Mountain Aire,I had this problem last year. I discovered a puddle of gear oil on my right rear wheel. I made an appointment with my dealer and ordered the inner wheel seal and the end of axle gasket. Took it in and they were done in less than hour did not have to pull the wheel just changed the gasket. I think a little silicone would be a better fix than the thin plastic gasket they use. I also have had to replace both front wheel oil hubs.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doko, You can take your rig to any Truck center close to you and have them check it out. If it is leaking and you let them fix it, they will include the charge for diagnosis in the repair charge. If it is just the rear axle seal that needs replacing you are looking at an approximate cost of no more than $125, and probably a lot less if it is just the outer Axle gasket. You can then ask workhorse to re-imburse you what they normally pay for the repair. You may have to eat some of the cost, as warranty repair is usually very low pay, but you would have your rig fixed and ready to use . This may be worth it to you rather than have to wait around for weeks for some warranty approved center to get around to looking at getting you going again.

Good luck - Glenn
Old 09-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dan B.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also have had to replace both front wheel oil hubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was the situation that caused this? I recently had front wheel hubs leaking a little on a trip in 100 degree plus weather, but I think they were overfilled and it was expansion. They have been ok the last 200 miles with cooler weather.
Thanks,
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #7

I have a recent post on here where we had a rear axle seal, and the Workhorse Dealer removed the "gasket" and used a bead of silicone, which they said was "much better than the gasket".
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #8

Streamerman, The first one failed at 18000 miles noticed oil on the tire when I removed the hub cap the center rubber plug fell out on the ground. 2nd one failed at 23000 mi. This one got hot don't know if it got hot from the brake or wheel being hot but the clear plastic sight glass turned white and could not see through it. changed them both my self and OK for the last 6000 miles. Dan B.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #9

Thank you to all for your comments/suggestions/help.
I took the unit over to a place 5 min from my house, they work on freightliners but were very nice about helping out.

I was happy to see that it was an axle flange gasket, as some of you had suggested. Interestingly the gasket is just a piece of hard plastic that has very little seal, and it was so brittle that it had broken. I had them check the other side and it was cracking as well.

They replaced both with silicone gasket former in about an hour and total cost was $150. Spoke to Workhorse and they indicated that if the receipt was submitted there would be no issue.

I am very disappointed with our local Workhorse dealer as they would not even look at it for 3+ weeks.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #10

I had that same problem on my Volvo after hitting one of those jolting ditches that the PA turnpike thinks is normal road surface. We pulled into a Freightliner shop and it turned out to be the outside gasket. I had my mechanic replace all my bearing and seals just a few months before and he informed me that they were using the silacone sealant now days. Well I think this jolt broke the sealant loose causing the leak. The freightliner dealer pulled them out and cleaned it up and put the old fashioned cork gasket in. I feel this will take a little more jolting without causing a leak knowing it has a little give to it.

JMHO

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had my right rear seal go at 2200mi "big time" threw oil everywhere and left a huge puddle on the ground S&K Chevrolet in Cerritos did the repair and didnt clean anything. Not a very good shop, but that was the closest one to the breakdown. Cleaned the wheels myself, couldnt stand the smell.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote