Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Stay tuned I will have more to write about this soon. Workhorse "is" aggressively pursuing a solution and it's just about "in the can" as the filmmakers would say.

It does appear at this time that the solution is not in hardware. GM's position in this matter is that the water pumps and technology that makes the whole thing work is fine just the way it is .... keep checking back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A riddle!

A water pump on a sepentine belt with a self tension system where the water pumps fail at the shaft and it is not hardware related. Is this correct?

Shade tree mechanincs 101: If a water pump fails and the belts are not overtightened, are properly aligned and the fan/clutch assembly is not out of balance then you have a defective pump or a design defect.

Any more hints on the new wrinkle? ECM software? Ultrapower upgrades? :O Operator error?

No complete trailer just the tease? Do we have to wait until the premier?

Just having a little fun with this. ;&gt;

I know it is not fun if you own one of the affected coaches. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're at a campground in Pismo Beach, next door to friends of ours that have a Winnebago Destination gas UFO. Last night they were regaling us with the tale of how their water pump failed, had to be towed to a Workhorse service depot in Hesperia, California. The blade assembly on the first replacement then "blew up" and shredded the radiator. At this point Coachnet and Workhorse agreed to tow to a larger Workhorse shop in Riverside where it was repaired again. No problems since then but they are nervous and considering trading the Destination for another coach.

They told us that Winnebago has offered them a cash settlement that would include waiving any continuing warranty coverage on the water pump. I'm a lawyer in my spare time, and I urged them to refuse and instead insist on lifetime coverage of the water pump and related cooling systems. Plus cash....

I'll suggest that they check out this thread and perhaps they will contribute more details.

Driver - I am sure that the UFO owners out there will be interested to hear what Workhorse may be offering as a fix!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why would Winnebago offer a cash settlement because of the water pump failure? They don't have to warranty it in the first place. Workhorse does that. We all know that the chassis is warrantied by the chassis maker and the house by the house maker. Isn't that the way it is?
https://www.dcmrblueridge.com/
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gramps - You are absolutely correct, it was Workhorse that offered our friends a settlement and not Winnebago. Just checked with my friends this morning; perhaps I had too much wine last night.....
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can say what you want but this doesnt look good. What would happed if one failed several months out of warr?My gues and its only a guess would be sorry, out of warr and I assume they have every right to say that. I was considering one of these. Not now. I have another question. If wh does come up with a fix, would the miles/ time warr start at the time of said fix. safe travels
Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One significant difference between the front engine WH and the UFO is that with the front engine a constant flow of air is usually available to assist in cooling. I don't know the exact design of the cooling system on the UFO, but it seems that there would be more stress on the fan/clutch/water pump assembly because of the lack of natural air flow. I've been fascinated with the UFO since I first saw it at the the Union City Rally, but have been leery of "New Ideas" since I bought an Oldsmobile Diesel back in 1979. When I finally got rid of it I would not drive it any further than I was prepared to walk.
TAMU62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #21
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a constant flow of air to the UFO as well. If you check out the UFO site you will see that the air is scooped from the front of the coach to the engine. I am not a mechanic but I think the air flow has a greater psi than the front engine gasser because it is funneled to the engine as opposed to passing through a radiator first. I know that some have suggested that this pump failure is caused by the reverse pitch of the blade which (I am guessing) puts an opposite pressure on the fan bearing than it would have in a font engine gasser. I don't think that is the problem. My guess is that the engine computer or some thermostat runs the fan at too many rpms for too long too often or trys to run the fan when it shouldn't (instead of letting it blow in the breeze so to speak) until it fails. I bet the replacement pumps fail for the same reason.(Once again I am not a mechanic and don't know a thing) This is just my therory. I do not speak for Workhorse.

I am not all that worried about my coach. I have put too many miles on the road in many different vehicles and have had plenty of unexpected breakdowns for many different reasons. Stuff happens. I don't like it when it does, but I know it can happen. To things mechanical and things living. I do hope, however that WH does put this concern to rest for all involved.
https://www.dcmrblueridge.com/
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It took 2 months and numerous phone calls but I finally received a copy of the work order for my water pump repairs. If I am reading correctly, the first water pump they installed has a different part number than the second one. Don't know if that is significant or not.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #23
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
Don't know if that is significant or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It may not be. Part numbers change all the time. The Pn# could have been updated or you may have seen a Pn# for an OEM part vs a Retail Part re. your 2nd pump. It's not unusual to see at times different part numbers for the same component.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are probably correct. I believe the first replacement came out of Reno, probably an after market piece. The second pump came from back East or so I was told. It was/is probably OEM.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
wthomas1, I believe the lemon law states, if they can't fix it within 3 tried, you get your money back. Just a thought.

I sure hope Workhorses fix for this is not a band-aid like the plug wire burning issue. Even thought the "Vent Kit" worked on my plug burning issue I am not happy with the fix.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I sure hope Workhorses fix for this is not a band-aid like the plug wire burning issue. Even thought the "Vent Kit" worked on my plug burning issue I am not happy with the fix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The burnt plug wire problem is really not a Workhorse issue. It is more of a coach builder issue as they restrict the flow or the amount air that is directed back to the engine with slick designs. They really look good but not enough air gets to the engine compartment.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #27
Official iRV2 Sponsor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
You are probably correct. I believe the first replacement came out of Reno, probably an after market piece. The second pump came from back East or so I was told. It was/is probably OEM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Workhorse has part warehouses in Reno,Nv. & Chicago,Il. So the part could have come from either one.
Did they ever check or replace the fan clutch itself??
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The repair order shows:
1 Pulley Assembly
1 Water Pump
2 Serpentine Belts
1 Fan Clutch
1 Fan Blade
1 Water Pump
1 Radiator
1 Fan Shrould