Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #1

Rear Gas Engine

Browsing around for ideas on our next RV and noticed a 2005 Georgie Boy having the Allison 1000 transmission with a Chevy engine in the rear. I really liked that layout as it placed the entry door in the front and should eliminate the issues of engine noise when traveling. I also like the generator being up front so it should be quieter if on while sleeping.

I know DP's are set up this way but this makes for a nice option in a gas RV. What other models are make this way?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can go to the Chassis section and look in the "Workhorse" forum. Workhorse made them for a few years and sold them to a variety of coach builders. There are people there that know alot about the UFO chassis.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
You can go to the Chassis section and look in the "Workhorse" forum. Workhorse made them for a few years and sold them to a variety of coach builders. There are people there that know alot about the UFO chassis.
I just posted there. Also learned they are called UFO chassis. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #4

[QUOTE=Abnmarine;1242314]Browsing around for ideas on our next RV and noticed a 2005 Georgie Boy having the Allison 1000 transmission with a Chevy engine in the rear. I really liked that layout as it placed the entry door in the front and should eliminate the issues of engine noise when traveling. I also like the generator being up front so it should be quieter if on while sleeping.

I know DP's are set up this way but this makes for a nice option in a gas RV. What other models are make this way?[/QUOTE]

For chassis specs, look HERE: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/workh...ons-20861.html

To answer your question, a total of 5 coach builders used the UFO.

WBGO probably built the most, calling them the Winnie DESTINATION & Itasca LATTITUDE. Both had two floor plans: 37G & 39W. WBGO used the last of their UFO allotment under a Winnie ADVENTURER LIMITED-same Floor plans.

Other builders were Monaco/Holiday Rambler, Forest River-Georgetown, Georgie Boy, and Rexhall.

The 26K GVWR "UFO" (R26) chassis is the best riding & handling gasser ever made, IMO. Unfortunately, just like the other Workhorse gassers, it is no longer being produced.

I'll leave it to other members, and actual owners, to tell you more about this "unique" platform.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Browsing around for ideas on our next RV and noticed a 2005 Georgie Boy having the Allison 1000 transmission with a Chevy engine in the rear. I really liked that layout as it placed the entry door in the front and should eliminate the issues of engine noise when traveling. I also like the generator being up front so it should be quieter if on while sleeping.

I know DP's are set up this way but this makes for a nice option in a gas RV. What other models are make this way?
I test drove a UFO. I wish I had one because it had excellent handling. It was also super quiet with the engine in the rear.

However, I don't think the UFO started into production until somewhere around 2007 or 2008. I know it wasn't around in '05 or I would have had one. Also, the transmission is an Allison 2000 not a 1000. Must be typos on the for sale ad.

Link to overview, specs and manufacturers who built on the UFO HERE.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agnmarine:

Bought my HR UFO new in 2008 and now have 33K miles on the coach. I cannot say enough about the ride, brakes and low noise level. I plan on keeping this coach for a long time. There has been one recall involving the Fan Clutch Assembly and this was handled a few years ago. The transmission and gearing combination makes this coach a dream to drive. If you decide to purchase, you will be very happy with the chassis engine combination. Am getting between 6-7.5 mpg depending on wind and terrain and we tow a Honda CRV with no problems. Set cruise at 60 mph and enjoy the ride.

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2008 Winnebago Destination on the UFO chassis now has 38000 miles and I still rave about the ride and the lack of engine noise. I have had far more "house" problems than I like but that is another story.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #8

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of these chassis models until recently but really like them. Will consider one when we buy if able to find one for sale.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of these chassis models until recently but really like them. Will consider one when we buy if able to find one for sale.
Unfortunately, there weren't a lot of coaches built on the UFO chassis. It was introduced just before the fuel price run up in 2008 which really put the damper on the RV industry. It's a shame because it is really a good chassis.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a UFO like mine for sale in Dalton Ga at Camping World.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
There is a UFO like mine for sale in Dalton Ga at Camping World.
I appreciate the lead but we are still living in paradise (Hawaii) for a few more years.

Tags
gas