Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2008, 03:32 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Give me a call 512-856-1127 and I will fix you up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Give me a call 512-856-1127 and I will fix you up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give me over the weekend. Trying to decide if we're going to trade up to a Meridian or Journey. The new 34 is really nice, albiet a bit expensive...oh well, it's just another payment
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

What was it saying when you tried sending us an E-mail? Haven't had anybody else say our email's weren't working...
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonBrazel:
What was it saying when you tried sending us an E-mail? Haven't had anybody else say our email's weren't working... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looked like a SQL server error.

BTW, was looking over the install instructions for the Ultra and Tiger, and both frame brackets mount to the right side frame rail. My exhaust pipe passes over the axle in that exact location. What are Winn/Itasca owners doing for that? Re-running my exhaust system will add quite a bit to the install cost.

The other thing I couldn't figure is the build costs for these track bars look to be about $100. Why are they $500. $295 would make a lot more sense. I've been building cars and trucks for 30 years and have bought a lot of accessories. Seems like a very excessive cost for a simple steel part. I thought building a rock crawler jeep was expensive, this is ridiculous.

Thanks!

EDIT: Took a couple'a pics. Looks like the bend in the bar may just clear the exhaust. Take a look here and let me know what you think:

Old 11-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I built mine own and published the patterns and a number of folks copied them. Did mine work? Yes but it was no where near as heavy as the UltraTrac. Had I had to do it over I would have use a heaver bar... like a center link off a tractor. I believe that Steamerman did one like that.

Why the expense.. Well:
1) Size - size does matter!
2) Quality of the steel.
3) Welding - consistency & done by a pro or machine.
4) Heat treating/bending.
5) Large greased & pressed in bushings.
6) Powder coated.
7) All necessary adapters for both Metric and SAE rear ends.
8) All necessary nuts, bolts, washers, thread locker, cable ties etc necessary to install.
9) Support & Life Time Warranty

Now how many do you have to buy to get a good price? What is your cost if you don't sell then right away? Lot's of money tied up in inventory. That cost is passed on to the consumer in ANY business.

Lastly I believe the bend in the bar is there just for those rigs that have an over the axle exhaust.

The bottom line is, "You get what you Pay for."
Old 11-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the height of the bar over the diff?
Has anyone installed one of these on a 2005 Winnebago with the single exhaust behind the drivers side rear wheel?
Mine has about 3" clearance between the pipe and the top of diff at rest, or about 6" at an angle from the pipe to the diff.

How much vertical movement does the axle have over the road? The air-shock has about an inch clearance from it's pad. Mine is a Spicer 110.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #21

Support With or without Track Bar. Good miles, Dale
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Support With or without Track Bar. Good miles, Dale </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So...what kind of support?
What does support have to do with the track bar??
What exactly are "good miles"?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I installed the Steer Safe system as soon as I bought this rig. Even with my 2000 35U with SS, I did not notice the tail swaying. I just wonder if I'm not paying attention or is it just the SS taking care of any problem. I just can't see spending the money for a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Finhawk:
I installed the Steer Safe system as soon as I bought this rig. Even with my 2000 35U with SS, I did not notice the tail swaying. I just wonder if I'm not paying attention or is it just the SS taking care of any problem. I just can't see spending the money for a problem that doesn't exist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our 31w has a 190" wheelbase. It will go down the hiway at 75 without a hint of trouble. But put the car behind it and it's a handfull over 60. In fact, anything over 60mph is just plain scary. Must be the car pulling the coach around, my hope is a track bar will cure the handling problem. We pull a scion Xb, they're about 3000lbs, or a 20' Grady-white sport fisher, no problem with its tandem axle trailer and it's about 4600lbs. So it must be the way the car pulls on the back of the unit.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:18 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Finhawk:
I just can't see spending the money for a problem that doesn't exist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Finhawk, Spend more time with your motorhome and save your money. There is no need to go out and spend money to fix perceived problems that may not exist.

If you can clearly determine what your needs are, then we can advise you further. If there is a clear and present issue that has made itself known to you then you can make an informed decision about what to do about it.

Collectively we have a lot of seat time with these issues and I believe you came to the right place for solutions. If you don't have a problem, then I don't see where the problem is.

Personally, I would not have spent the money and installed the Steer Safe simply because I ran it on a MY 2000 motorhome.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:23 AM   #26

Dear Geez
Dale, supports me all the time whether with or without the trac bar. He helped with my ABS system.
Good Miles are miles put on the odometer without any problems versus Bad Miles. Problems occur on some of our trips and the trips without problems are the ones that have Good Miles. Safe Miles.
I can define Safe Miles if you like. Just have fun.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I drove this rig for the first time in wind and it was not fun. Steer safe took care of that. I'm a firm believer in it. I tow my Subaru and I've had no problems. So it is Safe Miles and fun
Old 11-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the Steer Safe system as soon as I bought this rig. Even with my 2000 35U with SS, I did not notice the tail swaying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the things I wonder about is "Why do we have to modify our rigs by installing Trac Bars and such? (This includes your Steer Safe)
"Why do they not install at the factory?"

Fact is.. Some may well do that. Or otherwise design a suspension system that does not need the support of a trac-bar