RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #1

Have read many posts about this addition to a MOHO.

I have the Koni's as well as the Steer Safe both do a good job.

My main concern is the "push" from the 18 wheelers and just wondering if the trac bar really performs as advertised and worth the expense. Thanks as usual

ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #2

Have read many posts about this addition to a MOHO.

I have the Koni's as well as the Steer Safe both do a good job.

My main concern is the "push" from the 18 wheelers and just wondering if the trac bar really performs as advertised and worth the expense. Thanks as usual

ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:33 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Install mine about 2 years ago. Well worth the money. I install it in my driveway. Need a grinder (4"); hand tools and a toruqe wrench. Just follow the great instructions that come with it.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Yes, they really do work. Check my web site for more info. Link Here

I sent you a PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does a trac bar work as well as advertised?

No... They work way better than advertised!!

True story (I should know. It's mine)

I have driven from Detroit to Las Vegas twice, both times in the same motor home, both times pulling the same Lumina APV

Trip one when I got to LV it was a relief to drive the Lumina.. Then I came home (Again a relief to drive the Lumina) and had a trac bar installed.. I'm told a rear unit is better than a front one but messed up and bought a front track bar.

Then I made a 2nd trip to LV.. Man was that lumina hard to drive I mean it was white knuckle time when I drove to the store the first time after parking (The second trip I'd re-adjusted to it)

It made a BIG and I mean BIG difference

If it's on your travels drop in on Brazill's RV. (Member of this forum) and ask him for a price.. I've shopped around a bit and when I finish my rig by putting on a rear Trac bar I'm going to have them do it.. Better price and if I can believe the photos. top quality. (I need to look at the product first though)
Old 11-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've been running with a Henderson SS302 rear trac bar for a couple of years now. It definitely stopped the semis from pushing me over. No more tail wagging the dog! Now it is like driving a big ole SUV.
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #7

I have the same Henderson rear trac bar also. Bought it at Redlands RV and installed it myself. (Gave me an excuse to buy some more tools.) I learned something in the process. If you do install it yourself, drive the rear wheels up on some blocks. Any additional clearance is really helpful.
As for how it works, a lot more than I had hoped for. My MH has a really long rear overhang and it made a HUGE difference both towing and not towing. Well worth the cost and effort to install. I didn't need a grinder like Bigdaddy did. Just a couple of large sockets, wrenches, a 250 Ft-Lb torque wrench and a long breaker bar. If you have access to air tools, they do help make things go quicker.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV 4 2:
If you do install it yourself, drive the rear wheels up on some blocks. Any additional clearance is really helpful. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I wrote an article here about 4 years ago regarding installing the SS302 or equivalent track bars and I do not recommend that the bar be installed other than on the deck. In the instructions it says that the bar must be installed (finished) with the full weight of the vehicle on the ground. If the vehicle is up on blocks you can not assure that the full weight of the vehicle is on the ground.

Clearance is great to have however I was able to work my way around the vehicle and accomplish the install and I think I'm a pretty big guy.

I did use my jacks to extend the distance from the bottom of the coach body to the top of the tires. You do need to open up a little room there to get at the like-air spring mount bolts. It has to be removed and longer bolts need to be fitted to the mount so the track bar frame mount can be attached.

Once the track bar frame mount was installed and torqued, I raised the jacks.

Additional clearance might be helpful while installing the riser plate on the banjo however I wasn't challenged in installing that piece with the vehicle on the ground.

I finished installing the bar by fitting the top bolt and tightened it somewhat. I made up the length of the bar by turning threaded end of the eye bolt on the bar and inserted the bolt through the ears and eye. This bolt can only be inserted when it's exactly the right length. The bar needs to be adjusted and the bolt fitted with the full weight of the vehicle on the ground.

Once I had both bolts in place I tightened the track bar bolts and tightened up the jam nut on the threaded end of the track bar. After that I torqued both track bar bolts bolts and checked the tightness on the jam nut.

That's the best way that I know of to install the track bar and what conforms with the installation instructions.

Now the way this should be done is on a drive on lift and up in the air.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #9

You can download the instructions from my web site. Link Here
Old 11-02-2008, 05:25 AM   #10

Another testimony for the benefits of the track bar. I drove the mh up on blocks to gain the clearance for installation.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oemy,

Seeing as we have been talking about installing one of these on my coach clear this up for me, is there a problem with driving the coach up on some blocks to gain some height for working room, it seems all the weight of the coach is on the blocks and the coach wouldn't know the difference.

Thanks,

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seeing as we have been talking about installing one of these on my coach clear this up for me, is there a problem with driving the coach up on some blocks to gain some height for working room, it seems all the weight of the coach is on the blocks and the coach wouldn't know the difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you raise the front the same as the rear otherwise you have just shifted some weight to the front. Me, I just raise the coach as high as the jacks will allow, block the frame, do the install of the brackets, tighten the bolts "finger tight", lower the coach, install the trac bar to locate the brackets, tighten the bolts, re-adjust the trac bar and torque everything to spec.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ichn2go,

The rear track bar is one of the very best things I have done to the MH. It is well worth the time and money to install it.

Dave
Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where can I order a ultratrac for a W20?
Brazel's site doesn't seem to offer it and their email contact doesn't work.
What gives?

Get a BlueOx instead?

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote