Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
recall cost?

How many people have had recall done on vehicles and did it cost you anything? I have had two or three and there were no charges. Am I missing something. $1500. hell their making money off this recall!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
Am I missing something. $1500.00 hell their making money off this recall!
Ron, If you have read my post I wrote that I wore out my brake pads. Why would anyone expect Workhorse to pay for that? This is a caliper recall first and if the components on the wheel end are collaterally damaged by a bad caliper those will be covered too. This is why I provided the photographs that I did because all of the collaterally damaged parts that I showed were covered.

It is however the intention of Workhorse to extend an opportunity to the owners of older W Series motorhomes (all) to save on the average $1,000.00 off the retail price for a complete renewal of all the major brake components.

I believe that you are alluding to the possibility that there maybe a greed factor involved in all of this on the part of Workhorse.

This program is "totally" optional and there is nothing that will compel anyone to participate in it. An owner could come in, have the campaign parts installed and cleared and leave the center without spending a nickel.

If I were eligible to receive 4 new calipers for my car, I would no doubt wish I had the opportunity to invest in new pads and rotors if I needed them. Like it or not these things do wear out.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I checked with the dealer here in CO where we are right now and he said if I wanted him to replace the pads when he did the recall work he would only charge for the pads - no labor, about $170.
I have 46,000 miles on the rig so I think I will have him do that.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I checked with the dealer here in CO where we are right now and he said if I wanted him to replace the pads when he did the recall work he would only charge for the pads - no labor, about $170.
Optimizing the opportunity to do the right thing for yourself and your rig is something that I also would want to pursue.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, I have 14,000 average miles on my MH at 2004. I have an appointment at the WH shop, next week, trying to gain as much about all this as possible.

My thought is that the brake pads, should not be worn out, Your Thoughts?

Thanks

Johnnie
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I'm hoping for the same results at my local Service Center, Clay. I have an appointment this coming Weds. to do the recall. If my old pads are more than half worn (31K miles) then it would probably be prudent to replace them. I DO NOT however think the SC should charge labor for replacement of the pads. They're being paid by WH to put pads in the new calipers and whether they're my old ones or new ones out of the box it's no difference in their labor to do so.

Sorry to be a skeptic, but I guess I'm still tender from being charged a $139 "inspection fee" to look at my brakes when I had a caliper failure about a year ago. IMHO we shouldn't have had to pay anything when an actual covered defect is found.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1hog View Post
Driver, I have 14,000 average miles on my MH at 2004. My thought is that the brake pads, should not be worn out, Your Thoughts?
Johnnie, You need to take a look at your pads when the calipers are pulled and check them against the back plate. I kept my front pads which had 21,000 miles on them.

Now sure what you mean average 14,000 at 2004? Is that 14K per year since 04 or total miles. Regardless take a look at the pads on both sides and compare them. if one set is complete worn out that might suggest collateral damage if the other side is not.

If both sets are equally worn or within 10% I would expect that they may be exhibiting normal wear and tear. Out of all the things that you might choose to buy, the pads are the least expensive items other than the brake fluid.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver thanks much for the info, for clairification the MH is a 2004, with 14,000 total miles.

Thanks

Johnnie
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJeeper View Post
I DO NOT however think the SC should charge labor for replacement of the pads. They're being paid by WH to put pads in the new calipers and whether they're my old ones or new ones out of the box it's no difference in their labor to do so.

Sorry to be a skeptic, but I guess I'm still tender from being charged a $139 "inspection fee" to look at my brakes when I had a caliper failure about a year ago. IMHO we shouldn't have had to pay anything when an actual covered defect is found.
I totally agree. Why should we pay for the labor when it takes the same time to put old pads on as well as new. I guess they have to open the box. I posted here over a year ago that wh and its ser centers will make a ton of money off owners that dont know any better. BTW, all this hype about flushing the fluid and now when its on wh dime they dont auth it. AMAZING
Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJeeper View Post
I DO NOT however think the SC should charge labor for replacement of the pads. They're being paid by WH to put pads in the new calipers and whether they're my old ones or new ones out of the box it's no difference in their labor to do so.
When my front calipers were replaced on my motorhome, the old calipers were removed and the new caliper were installed. The pads never moved an inch, they just sit there.

On the rear axle the pads were replaced and I was not charged any labor although they did replace the slippers with new ones. Again the slippers are replaced, the pads are placed on both sides of the rotor and held in place by the anchor plate. The caliper is installed over the top of the pads and secured by the mounting bolts.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Cat

Oh come on. You are correct the pads will not move an inch . But Once you have removed the tires and the caliper. The brake pads are just sitting there in the brackets. The amount of labor to remove them would be less than 5 minutes.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
The amount of labor to remove them would be less than 5 minutes.
I'm not sure about the point you are making, there was no charge to replace the pads.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I thought when you put pads on you always turned the rotors to keep from having pulsating of the pedal
Noleakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is great that the recall has finally started, it took way too long.

I believe it is penny wise and pound foolish NOT to take advantage of the $1500 deal. You will have essentially an entirely NEW brake system except for the Master Cylinder and hoses. You might even consider all new ABS sensors. I know it all sounds anal, but I am when it comes to brakes and tires.

Driver, even though you only had 21K on your brakes, I would have done the whole deal on yours, also.