Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Reducing body roll on W22

OK, so here goes an idea I've had for a long time, so I planning to do it. One of the things that causes body roll is the fact that the spring on the inside of the corner lifts the coach, probably more than the outside spring collapses. That being the case, I'm looking at installing a reversing or counter spring that engages right at the normal ride height. This will prevent the inside spring from lifting the coach, causing it to lean. For ease of design, I will probably go with a Timbren spring and have it land on the inside of the C-channel of the frame. Timbren as some long narrow spring that may fit inside the rail fairly well.

This idea is not new, its something I thought of back in high school. In college I had an MGB that had leather straps that limited the axle travel. There is a somewhat recent patent on the idea, but I'm not sure how it could be valid, when something similar was done before. Of course since I'm building this myself, the patent is irrelevant.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you replaced the shocks yet? My body roll was significantly reduced with new shocks.
I'm talking about the body roll on surface streets when you turn a corner while going over a drainage dip.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #3

The OEM Monroes were replaced with Bilstiens under a recall when the coach was a little over a year old. They also replaced the front jounce stops with longer ones that rest on the axle. I know that Koni FSDs have a much greater rebound damping, which should help, but I was thinking more dramatic, but less expensive and possibly more effective than an anti-sway bar.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
The OEM Monroes were replaced with Bilstiens under a recall when the coach was a little over a year old. They also replaced the front jounce stops with longer ones that rest on the axle. I know that Koni FSDs have a much greater rebound damping, which should help, but I was thinking more dramatic, but less expensive and possibly more effective than an anti-sway bar.
You must have a very different W22 than me, of course I am not experienced in driving fast cars, but I can't complain about my 21,000 lb W22 turning corners, with bilstein shocks.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #5

At SLOW speeds, such as pulling out of driveways, the amount it rocks back and forth is crazy. On the road, you feel it move even when cars pass, let alone trucks. Even the smallest amount of wind blows it around. I'm hoping to add stability under all conditions, not just cornering.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sway bars removed all the body roll for me. Do you have a trac bar on the coach?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #7

Not yet. It is on the list. Originally I was planning on sway bars, but I think I can do this for substantially less money. In theory, it should ride better than with sway bars, as it does not effect the compression, only rebound and only would engage above normal ride height.

The trick is going to be figuring out the correct spring density. Timbren publishes their compression curves. Sumo Springs are cheaper, but I've not found any graphs on their website.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a 2007 W22 a couple years ago. The ride was awful, with lots of sloshing around. After doing some research it seemed that 2 things needed to be fixed, body roll and that side to side play between the axles and the frame. When I limited both of those the ride became acceptable. I fashioned track bars front and rear to limit horizontal movement of the frame to the axles out of the upper links for a 3-point tractor hookup. I put an anti-sway bar on the front and air bags on the back. The air bags were quite a hassle to install and they tend to lose air but they tighten it up quite a bit at 90 pounds pressure. I feel pretty confident now driving even with a strong side wind.

Ken
kernst52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #9

Thanks Ken for the reply. I'm actually in the process of installing air bags right now. I've got one on, and one to go. Yes, they are a bear. The hardest part is removing the jounce stop and relocating it. I had a stubby drill, and a 90 degree adapter. Even with the wheels off the ground, it was all I could do to get the drill between the frame and the axle.

I find it interesting that it stiffened it up. Are you raising the axle height close to its maximum extension? or does it just limit the compression? Are your bags Airlift, or some other kit?

I'm planning on trac bars, one project at a time.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
airbags

Yes, I bought the AirLift bags. I decided to remove the rear wheels to get them on. I could not imagine making this 65-year-old body do the contortions necessary to get the air bags installed with the rear wheels still on.

I think the track bars will help keep you from getting drug to the side by variations in the road surface or wind gusts. The guy I bought my 35-foot RV from told me that one time he suddenly ended up in another lane due to wind or truck passing and he is a sheriff's deputy and I am sure a much better driver than me. That scared me into fixing the ride and control. The furthest I have been knocked sideways is 4 or 5 feet during the 2 years we have had the rig. I drive about 60 MPH. If a cross wind is bad I slow down and that helps.

Ken
kernst52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #11

I took the wheels off. That was the excuse I needed to buy myself a Dewalt impact wrench. Yes, their biggest one will take the lugs off without a problem. Its a little on the heavy side, but OK. Also ended up with an air operated 12 ton hydraulic jack. Its nice to just push the lever and watch the wheel lift off the ground.

No job is worth doing unless it provides the excuse to buy some new tools.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Daveinet, if you end up doing this, take pictures and post results. A lot of us are experiencing the same thing. I would like to hear from more people about the sway bars and air bags, since that is the direction I’m thinking of going after replacing the Bilsteins with Konis.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #13

I will, especially if it works. The concept has been done by the engineer who designed my previous motorhome. This was done well after his time at Revcon, so not implemented on my previous coach. No personal experience with it yet.

This should compliment the airbags well, as the air bag should be able to adjust how hard you are up against the reversing spring.
I have been daydreaming a lot about how to best make it fit. My original idea of using the inside of the frame channel will not work, as there is just not enough room, especially with all the brake lines and other junk. I'm now thinking of under the leaf spring in front of the axle. The spring stack, and the axle thickness provide quite a bit of height, so I should be able to mount something without loosing ground clearance.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #14

I really like my rear Helwig sway bar they do not effect the ride that is how they work, but they change the handling a lot.
I have a front Roadmaster (Davis) track bar, and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer.

I would still maybe like a front sway bar, but it does drive and handle aceptable so i cannot justify the time and $$ read my comments in this post.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/sway-...ml#post3063386
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
w22