Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #1

Replace belt Vortec 8.1

Has anyone changed the engine belt? I am in a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser with the Chevy Vortec 8.1 engine. It looks worn and is starting to squeal. Also, I believe there are two different length belts a 103" and a 108". How do I determine which one I need?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have had my belt replaced twice in 80,000 miles and the idler pulley replaced once all at the Workhorse dealer.

The idler/tension bearing gets noisy on these engines so I suggest a new one.

Can't tell you the size although if you remove it you could measure it.

I never had one break, replaced them as a preventive maintenance item.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #3

What was the cost to replace the belt. Is this something a shade tree mechanic could do?
Old 05-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
What was the cost to replace the belt. Is this something a shade tree mechanic could do?
The belt should be about $50.00. It is not a bad job, especially if you have two people. One up above with the dog house off, and one underneath.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
As PJStough said about $50 for the belt. I had mine done at the same time when I had all the hoses replaced as well as the coolant.

Lots of guys on here change their own belt so you could probably do it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wrote this last year and changed my belt and pulleys on my W20 Chassis.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/8-1l-...ys-249407.html

If the sixth VIN number is a "3" OR a "5" then you have a P32 chassis. If the sixth number is a "6", then you have a W- series chassis.

P32 chassis = 103" belt
W Chassis= 108" belt
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Replace belt vortec 8.1

Quote:

I can tell you that the cost of not replacing it is far more costly...

My '05 Workhorse serpentine belt broke when I was on a trip. It just happened to break on a Friday night, in the rain, nothing open... What a pain... I had to be towed, after dropping the drive shaft, and leave it at the repair shop until Monday.

When the belt broke, it wrapped around the fly pulley so tight it had to be cut out with a box cutter... It broke the fan housing.... When the Workhorse shop replaced it I had them get a second one as a spare. The shop showed me how to replace it myself. It is not hard, but you should search online for the belt path around the pulleys and print it off. Also, the trick is to loosen the tensioner pulley to allow you to easily route the belt over the pulleys without much difficulty. Two people makes it easier, but you can do it with one person if needed.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #8

I replaced the serpentine belt on our Itasca Sunova last year. Installed it myself but it wasn't as easy as your standard automobile. Was under the rig, then on top through the doghouse, then back under, back on top feeling my way through the process. My main concern was making sure the belt was positioned on each pulley just right and that would have been easier with two people.

The belt i used was the 103 inch Gates K061031, this for my P32 chassis. A quick glance on the net shows them well under $50.
Mudfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced mine with a Goodyear Gatorback belt per recommendations here. I had room to do it from above. Replacing the pulley and having a spare isn't a bad idea either.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 05-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Has anyone changed the engine belt? I am in a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser with the Chevy Vortec 8.1 engine. It looks worn and is starting to squeal. Also, I believe there are two different length belts a 103" and a 108". How do I determine which one I need?

Thanks
The best way is to look at the belt and see if there is a number on it. If so it can be crossed over at any parts store. If not it might be best to buy both belts, remove the belt on the MH now and match it up to the new belt then return the belt you didn't use. This could save a trip or two chasing after parts.
You might have to bump the starter a few times to get the belt into position to see the number. Of course it may be worn off by now also.
If there is no decal under the hood with the belt routing on it you would be well advised to make a sketch of it yourself. This belt replacement is not difficult but the belt has to be routed right or you will have fits.
Lynn
Old 05-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just had a belt start to come apart while on a trip. I have the 7.4, but the lesson is the same - check the tensioner for decent spring pull.
Story: My Belt was 5 years old. I checked the hoses/belt prior to leaving and it looked new. 500 miles into the trip I heard it coming apart and pulled over in the shade.
I have CoachNet so I called them; they sent a mobile mechanic who pulled the old belt and checked bearings/pulleys. He determined the belt failure was due to weak Tensioner spring (tensioner was original and 17 years old). He went and got the parts from CarQuest, was back shortly and replaced belt and tensioner. My cost was $60 for both parts and a $20 tip for the mechanic - CoachNet paid for the service call.
Mechanic did the under the hood replacement work in about 10 minutes with a couple open end wrenches. Like another post stated - there was old belt parts wrapped around pulleys that needed cut out.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, ace