RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Replace shocks and springs?

We have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral on a W-22 workhorse chassis. The springs on the passenger side our almost flat according to my husband. Had a truck shop look at it and gave us an estimate of almost $2500 to replace springs and shocks. My husband is wondering if it is just the shocks that are so bad that the springs are so flattened out? Anybody have an idea as to whether this could be the case?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Remember shocks do not carry or hold up weight. They just control how fast or slow it moves! So if your springs are flat they need to be re arched or replaced.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbe View Post
We have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral on a W-22 workhorse chassis. The springs on the passenger side our almost flat according to my husband. Had a truck shop look at it and gave us an estimate of almost $2500 to replace springs and shocks. My husband is wondering if it is just the shocks that are so bad that the springs are so flattened out? Anybody have an idea as to whether this could be the case?
How much distance is there between the springs and the bump stops?

Restoring a 1968 Firebird, my other money pit... LOL
akpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
There is no space between the springs and the bump stops.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

You could always add Air lift, or Sumo Springs. Each air bag is designed to lift 2500 LBS. IF you really need a lot of lift, you could put air bags in the designed location and put sumo springs between the frame and the axle. I think there should be about 6 inches between the frame and the axle at normal ride height.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:26 PM   #6

Look up super steer .com they sell what your looking for . You need new springs in front.
I replaced mine and got rid of the air bags .smartest thing I ever did . Rides like a car.
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
SO we need new leaf springs, shocks and sumo springs?
Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbe View Post
SO we need new leaf springs, shocks and sumo springs?
Bite the bullet and "do it right" the first time....
Your suspension has worn out..
Your base suspension needs to be fully replaced first...........then add the after market items if needed..
Leaf springs in the rear, Up graded coil springs (without the OEM air bag inserts) for the front axle and new shocks all around..
Also replace ball joints,tie rod ends and basically tighten up the front end..Also a good alignment fore & aft ...
As I suggested... Do It Right the First Time...One & Done.
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
Look up super steer .com they sell what your looking for . You need new springs in front.
I replaced mine and got rid of the air bags .smartest thing I ever did . Rides like a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Bite the bullet and "do it right" the first time....
Your suspension has worn out..
Your base suspension needs to be fully replaced first...........then add the after market items if needed..
Leaf springs in the rear, Up graded coil springs (without the OEM air bag inserts) for the front axle and new shocks all around..
Also replace ball joints,tie rod ends and basically tighten up the front end..Also a good alignment fore & aft ...
As I suggested... Do It Right the First Time...One & Done.
The OP has a W22 chassis and does not have coil springs/airbags or ball joints.

It has, leaf springs and kingpins.

Although it does have tie rods, those should be replaced when worn, not as a preventative maintenance item.

OP, is the $2500 for all 4 leafsprings and all 4 shocks and is this with labor included?
Old 12-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post

Although it does have tie rods, those should be replaced when worn, not as a preventative maintenance item.
I was being "generic" to cover those "other GM chassis" that may be having the same issues.. And our former GM chassis coach (p-30) did have coils springs with the mini airbags.
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post

OP, is the $2500 for all 4 leafsprings and all 4 shocks and is this with labor included?

The quote is actually 3100 for front shocks (the back were just replaced 2 years ago) both leaf springs on front, rotate tires and alignment and labor.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Im not sure how much a spring shop would charge for making the springs, but Ultra RV has the front leaf springs for $650 a piece

So unless you can get a cheaper spring i would think that quote is not out of line.

Are you sure you actually need new leaf springs, the reason i why I ask is, these springs are pretty flat anyways.

I've read about people replace the leaf springs because they broke, or the coach is leaning to one side.

Here is a link to Ultra RV site with an actual picture of a leaf spring not on the chassis. You can see there is very little arch.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/W000...c,-Front-RH-LH
Old 12-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #13

Go to 3-4 shops for Quote . But research spring or leafs up front you need so they can't over charge for parts witch they like to do . You will be surprised what a good Google research for leafs and or springs
Will do for your project . It's nature of the beast heavier motorhome more money it takes. Remember big Dog big bucks.

Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:06 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ok any chance someone can take a picture of their leaf springs on their coach so we can compare to what ours looks like?

Tags
ace, replace, shocks