Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Replacing front calipers on 2004 w22

Well I have been waiting to hear if Workhorse is going to do something about our brake problems on the W22. They replaced the rear calipers about 1 1/2 years ago under warrenty because of lockup and loss of brakes. Since then on several occasions I have had the left front heat up. I was able to get stopped and set until it cooled off. But now I am wanting to take a trip up to Ohio and other places and don't want to have to worry all the time I am gone about lockup and over heated brakes. So I am considering replacing the front calipers my-self. I was an auto mechanic all my life so I know it will not be a big problem. Only thing I never worked on a wet hub before. So not sure what I will be getting into. Also will have to buy a one inch breaker bar and correct size socket and a piece of pipe to break the lugs loose. Unless I have to I don't think I will have the rotors turned. If I do then I will have to remove the hub and rotor to have that done. Do you drain the oil from the hub or what exactly do you have to do that is different than the bearing that are packed with wheel bearing grease. I still have places in Tampa where I can buy the calipers at dealer cost so if I do it myself it will be a lot cheaper than if I have someone do it for me. Not sure about the size of the socket for the lug bolts, maybe some one can help . I figure a four ft. section of pipe and with me standing on it they will come loose. Any suggestions you can give me will help this old man.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
Well I have been waiting to hear if Workhorse is going to do something about our brake problems on the W22. They replaced the rear calipers about 1 1/2 years ago under warrenty because of lockup and loss of brakes. Since then on several occasions I have had the left front heat up. I was able to get stopped and set until it cooled off. But now I am wanting to take a trip up to Ohio and other places and don't want to have to worry all the time I am gone about lockup and over heated brakes. So I am considering replacing the front calipers my-self. I was an auto mechanic all my life so I know it will not be a big problem. Only thing I never worked on a wet hub before. So not sure what I will be getting into. Also will have to buy a one inch breaker bar and correct size socket and a piece of pipe to break the lugs loose. Unless I have to I don't think I will have the rotors turned. If I do then I will have to remove the hub and rotor to have that done. Do you drain the oil from the hub or what exactly do you have to do that is different than the bearing that are packed with wheel bearing grease. I still have places in Tampa where I can buy the calipers at dealer cost so if I do it myself it will be a lot cheaper than if I have someone do it for me. Not sure about the size of the socket for the lug bolts, maybe some one can help . I figure a four ft. section of pipe and with me standing on it they will come loose. Any suggestions you can give me will help this old man.
If you havnt reported it to nhtsa I hope you will. you can report it here www.nhtsa.gov. Even if its done under warr it needs to be reported.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

Hi Darbyjudy

I too have worked on all type of vehicles for over 50 years, and your motorhome is no different, just bigger and heavier parts.

find a fitting and plug the end of your brake line, even if you are going to flush. Will run out fairly fast, and you do not want air in the system.

the bolts that fasten the caliper top the floating pins may or may not come out easily after breaking the loctite. pull the sliding pins, check the boot for integrity, clean, relube thoroughly with something like staylube, especially where the boot seals against the steel. Do not mix the leading and trailing pins; solid pin leading, "rubber" pin trailing. After install, ensure they slide freely.

Check rotor runout. Correct as necessary. If they need turning, only then will you have to remove the hub cap and pull the hub assembly. Seal replacement depends on whether you re-install a one piece or two piece. Originals were one piece, easier for assembly line work, and doesn't need spindle ring (wear ring) alignment and install tool. I've used the two piece seal on the previously installed spindle ring.

Bearings are typical "no preload" taper. Torque to 100 '# (you better recheck that #) while rolling the hub forward and backward. Back off nut just enough to relieve preload, with no more than a couple of thou end-play.

New hubcap gasket available from International, or parts dealers. Refill the hub with proper oil, let sit, add, let sit, add, roll, let sit add, etc.

Ensure pads are installed properly, inside vs. outside. Clean caliper bolts per Bosch directions, install caliper, install trailing bolt in part way temporarily. Put medium strength (blue) loctite on leading bolt, install and torque to 90-100'# immediately. Then remove trailing bolt, add loctite, torque immediately.

install hose, bleed. Can be done without engine running.

Entire job about 20 minutes per wheel if you don't have to pull the hub.

When I went to do my brakes, the front debris shields had beenremoved. I pulled the rears. Lets lots more air exposure.

Remember, when retorquing the wheel nuts, the threads must be clean and dry. 475'#'s. I have a 600# click wrench about 4' long. I attached a 2x4 to it with 4 hose clamps untill I can get a piece of tubing. Gives me a 7' lever. Torque in stages. Socket is metric, need snug fit because of the extensions needed to clear the wheels and bodywork(rear). My wife even helps me torquing up by moving the socket from nut to nut while I handle the long heavy wrench. I will never, never, never use an impact wrench, except to remove. Easy.

Pull the ABS sensors (be careful about the lead). May need a 5/16 12 point socket. clean and regrease and install. Push and twist until it jambs up against the exciter ring, then carefull retract about .010" so it clears the metal ring. They are fine up to about .020" from ring. Clean the connector and thoroughly apply dielectric grease to contacts and shell interior. Helps keep moisture out.

Old calipers can be rebuilt as spares. Have fun.

Larry

See The sticky thread for the Bosch brakes.
RetPay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
The lugs are 450 to 475 ft lbs each which (if I remember reading right) is 450 to 475 lbs on a 1 foot breaker bar. So you may need about a 4 foot breaker bar depending on how much you weigh.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
darbyjudy:
the lug nut torque is 475 ft lbs. i use a 3/4 drive 600 ft# harbor freight torque wr, about $150. it is 42" long. i also bought a 3/4 drive socket set from harbor freight, about $50. the wheel cover retaining nuts are 30mm, or 1 3/16. the lug nuts are 33mm or 1 5/16 (loose fit). i bought the sae socket set. hf sells both. the lug nuts are actually metric.
there used to be a harbor freight store in n. tampa.
btw, i graduated from chamberlain hs in 1961.
it is very important to torque the lug nuts to spec upon reinstallation of the wheels and recheck the torque after a few miles.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dan I don't know if you remember but at Bearss Ave and I 75 there was a Gulf Gas Station. I leased that station in 1973 and operated a garage there until about 9 years ago. It finally became a Mobile gas station.
I did report the brake problem to the NHTSA when the rear failed. I was very lucky for I lost the brakes completely, no pedal at all.
I pay real close attention to the brakes now for it scared the crap out of me. I can tell when the front start to heat, I will get a little shutter in the steering wheel, at that point I get off the road and stop. It has happened two times and both times after cooling off I have driven hundreds of miles without any more problem. But I just hate to have that worry all the time I am driving.
Thanks for all the information.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I was very lucky for I lost the brakes completely, no pedal at all.
I pay real close attention to the brakes now for it scared the crap out of me. But I just hate to have that worry all the time I am driving.
I've had 3 failures and lost the pedal twice. Scared is putting it mildly. I use to tell people getting there was half the fun. Not anymore. Still waiting on nhtsa.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Dan I don't know if you remember but at Bearss Ave and I 75 there was a Gulf Gas Station. I leased that station in 1973 and operated a garage there until about 9 years ago. It finally became a Mobile gas station.
I did report the brake problem to the NHTSA when the rear failed. I was very lucky for I lost the brakes completely, no pedal at all.
I pay real close attention to the brakes now for it scared the crap out of me. I can tell when the front start to heat, I will get a little shutter in the steering wheel, at that point I get off the road and stop. It has happened two times and both times after cooling off I have driven hundreds of miles without any more problem. But I just hate to have that worry all the time I am driving.
there was no i75 when i left tampa in 1961 to join the air force.
i installed the tst truck wireless tire temperature and pressure monitor system to keep tabs on the brake temperatures. about $300. it works well.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RetPay2,

That is a great write up on the calipers. Thanks so very much-- I filed it on my computer for future reference.

You know more about servicing them than the local Workhorse folks. They screwed me up bad because my front axles had wear sleeves on them. I guess they were installed when the first brake recall/update was done on my rig in south Texas,

The local Workhorse repair facility, near me in NC, apparently installed the wrong seals and the right front was leaking badly after I had the bearings replaced, at their recommendation. When I came back home after 6 months they said they only warranty their work for 6 months-- I was a few days over that. They quickly reconsidered their position and fixed the problem.

Thanks again,
Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
RetPay2,They quickly reconsidered their position and fixed the problem.
Max, In orther words, you got them to check their six!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver--

"Roger that!!"
Old 03-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Max, great post on the front axle. I had to go get the big sockets and breaker bars also, funny thing around here is we all go through the same stuff at different times and then teach eachother about the lessons learned. You won't get that from a shop you just pull into.

Max best to Cindy from Linda and Me. Are you coming to Maine this year? We hope you do because this will be us->

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good to see you back AL--

Any excitement this past season?? If so, I hope not like '08.

Yup, we're going back to BBH, early May. Maybe we'll see yuh

Best to your lovely bride---