Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEBOP View Post
... the spare GY G670 has been in the basement since I bought the motorhome new in 2004 so i will keep it for a spare. It has never seen daylight so it should be ok.
Hopefully the spare has never had air in it and has been covered during its life. Pull the tire down and check it carefully for checking and cracking. Spare tires once inflated are not immune to aging. The clock is running.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Hopefully the spare has never had air in it and has been covered during its life. Pull the tire down and check it carefully for checking and cracking. Spare tires once inflated are not immune to aging. The clock is running.
Even tires that have never been inflated or seen the light of day are not immune to checking and cracking.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #17

Tires

My tire experience has been as described. When you call on the phone for a quote you are given several brands and price quotes. Then when you go to the same place in person you are given some more choices in tires. Our last truck tire purchase was the same brand as were currently on our truck. They had to be brought in from the dunn tire wearhouse. Maybe they make more profit on the higher priced tires. It pays to go in person.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Our last truck tire purchase was the same brand as were currently on our truck. They had to be brought in from the dunn tire warehouse. Maybe they make more profit on the higher priced tires. It pays to go in person.
I don't like to be baited and switched either. There are a good reasons however why RV owners should buy tires that are specifically designed for RVs. Due to cost, a customer needs to exhaust all possible options before buying any tires however I would not be inclined to buy tires that are specifically for trucks.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My tire dealer is a Good Year and also Cooper/Hercules. He understood well about the over priced GY and reccomended the H902 hercules. He has put them on many motorhomes and no problems. Hercules also reccomends them for Motorhomes. They are a steer tire, 75 mph and handle way more load then my 22K pounds. Everyone that has posted here as users likes them and also on Good Sam and FMCA forums.
DRIVER, I didn't think a tire would deteriorate in the basement having never seen sunshine or smog that deteriorates it. It is mounted and always has 100 PSI in it. why won't it make a better spare then on of the 6 take offs?
thanks to all for your help and comments.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I don't like to be baited and switched either. There are a good reasons however why RV owners should buy tires that are specifically designed for RVs. Due to cost, a customer needs to exhaust all possible options before buying any tires however I would not be inclined to buy tires that are specifically for trucks.
I didn't know Cooper made RV specific tires? I replaced GY's with Firestone truck tires on my W20 last year and am very pleased. Thanks.
chili's trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEBOP View Post
I didn't think a tire would deteriorate in the basement having never seen sunshine or smog that deteriorates it. It is mounted and always has 100 PSI in it. why won't it make a better spare then on of the 6 take offs?
if I were in a position of carrying a spare tire for years on end and since I have an on-board compressor, I would favor not having any air in the tire at all. From what I have been told by tire dealers, tires begin their ET counter the day you put air in them. Granted that your non-exposed tire may appear better than the tires you take off the wheel ends however maybe I'm crazy but I think that a tire that has been exercised on an axle and has a known operating profile might not be a bad candidate for a spare.

I would think it important to assure that the spare and the installed tires are the same size especially in a dual configuration.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili's trip View Post
I didn't know Cooper made RV specific tires? I replaced GY's with Firestone truck tires on my W20 last year and am very pleased. Thanks.
I am not sure about the Cooper tire line for RV applications however they worked well on my toad.

RV tires should have truck tire characteristics in that we rely on them to carry heavy loads and we want them to be relaible for the long term. RV characteristics add value in that, ride comfort is built into the design of the tire. RV tires provide the RV owner with excellent UV protection and other benefits otherwise I don't see why an RV tire would exist at all.

The information that I am sharing can be heard at RV seminars where the tire manufacturer lectures.

I'm sure that you'll be fine with your choice.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
thanks to all for your help with replies.
I have decided to buy the Hercules H902 tires that are the same spec as the GY that came on it. These tires are used for steering and trailer axels on 18 wheelers. I like the 5 rib also, and the specs. I found a difference of 600.00 on the set between calif and oregon. Cal has 8 .25 sales tax included. Also interesting is that other tire shops in the same Oregon town are quoting Calif prices, 600.00 higher then their local competitors. I have had two fiends in the tire business and have some insight into the tire racket :( BUYER BEWARE!! :(
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #24

I just put a full set of Cooper/Hercules 245/70/19.5. My take offs were the GY G670. I purchased them for $199 a tire. The other tires were around $350 - $425. My tires will time out before they will wear out. My friend that I went to school with from elementary school works at the tire store and said these are a good tire. Even at another 18 wheeler tire shop, they said that with the miles that I put on, this tire would be fine. I am willing to try them. I think they are safer than 8 year old tires. Just my 2 cents.
1lukeduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lukeduke View Post
I just put a full set of Cooper/Hercules 245/70/19.5. My take offs were the GY G670. I purchased them for $199 a tire. The other tires were around $350 - $425. My tires will time out before they will wear out. My friend that I went to school with from elementary school works at the tire store and said these are a good tire. Even at another 18 wheeler tire shop, they said that with the miles that I put on, this tire would be fine. I am willing to try them. I think they are safer than 8 year old tires. Just my 2 cents.
i have the same takeoffs and I just confirmed my order for those Herc tires and will have them put on as soon as they come in.
Bebop
Old 06-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #26

Talking

Well we will see. I feel good about it, as I feel that you do also.
1lukeduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
my 2005 rig came with micheliln 19.5 rv tires and they checked and cracked. In 2010 I replaced them $2200.00 with the same michelin tire and 10k miles and all 6 are cracked and checked again. They have been covered when not underway and I keep 303 on them, so much for the great michelin tire. I going back to the Cooper Dealer where I purchased them today but I don,t have any faith in getting them replaced under any kind of warranty. I have run 85psi and check the pressure before ever move.
My rig is 2005 and the tire date was 2002 and 2003 now these new tires are late 2009. they sould not have cracked. I think the michelin rv tires have a problem
Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
My tires are 4/2002 production date and are GY 670RV 19.5. They are in perfect condition. Always covered and run at 100 PSI all the time. They are made of quality rubber in my opinion. I will keep running them until next year. Then I will change out the fronts for 2 new GY's. They will have my business again. BTW, never rotated them since new. 30k now and 80% left on rears and 70% on fronts.

Tags
tires