Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Requesting experience/info for Cooper/Hercules Tires for W22

HI ALL,
It is tire time at 8 years and 15,000 miles. I came from factory with Goodyear G670 Tires 245/70R19.5 G. They are pretty expensive for an old retired dude watching the dollars. Dealer quoted Kelly Springfield also from Goodyear as a little cheaper and just as good. He then tells me to think about Cooper/Hercules tires as they are being purchased by a lot of class A owners he services. they are a lot less expensive about half of Goodyear price. He tells me RV tires are specialty tires with low distribution while the other two I mentioned are Trucking tires in high distribution so a lot less expensive.
Can I get some of your expert opinions and experiences here to help me make a decision. I am going on a 2000 mile trip in about 5 weeks so have to decide and get on with it. I usually am towing so seldom drive over 55 mph. I check tires every morning for air pressure. I keep them covered when not traveling.
Thanks to all for any advice and experience, you are appreciated. Bebop Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Check this site out perhaps you can get a pretty good deal of these tires.

KUMHO TIRES® - KRD02 (245/70R19.5 G)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
those strange name tires are higher then the cooper tires at 245 and regional for summer and 55 mph only. No thanks. I don't want Chinese tires anyway unless they are under a major US manufacturer.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEBOP View Post
No thanks. I don't want Chinese tires anyway unless they are under a major US manufacturer.
There you go! You can always pay less but there's no substitute for quality. Like you, I am not very much not on-board with western Pacific rim tires.

Depchief bought 19.5 (F) rated tires for his rig and I think they were a BFGoodrich if I'm not mistaken. Firestone brand.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have roodmaster by cooper on my w22 very good tire. Used on a towing company trucks in southeran AZ. thay do not hav the wear rating of goodyear but I wont wear them out any way thay will time out first. In this climat I will not run tires over 5 years old. one blow out is all i care to have. Good luck with your tires
06workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard that a lot of people are using the Cooper tires and well satisfied with them both on 18 wheelers and Class A motorhomes.
I once got a Cooper tire when I blew a tire in front of their factory down in Georgia or Carolina somewhere down south while full timing 1982 and on. I went to their office and they put a new tire on my rig and charged me dealer cost only no install. Nice folks been in business here over a 100 years. Can't be all bad. they bought Hercules a few years back.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
He then tells me to think about Cooper/Hercules tires as they are being purchased by a lot of class A owners he services. they are a lot less expensive about half of Goodyear price.
My father owned/ran a small town service station for 39 years and both sold and used Cooper/Hercules with great results. Just be sure to buy tires with the necessary load rating for your chassis.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen45 View Post
My father owned/ran a small town service station for 39 years and both sold and used Cooper/Hercules with great results. Just be sure to buy tires with the necessary load rating for your chassis.
I remember back in the day when I was a kid that I used to see a lot of cooper tires on cars. I still look at their tires now but can't pronounce most of the tire names anymore.
Since I started researching motorhome tires I have run into a lot of postings like yours where folks have been running or selling Cooper or Hercules tires for years and always were pleased with them. Maybe this is the best kept secret around now days. I am getting more and more inclined to try them this time.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06workhorse View Post
I have roodmaster by cooper on my w22 very good tire. Used on a towing company trucks in southeran AZ. thay do not hav the wear rating of goodyear but I wont wear them out any way thay will time out first. In this climat I will not run tires over 5 years old. one blow out is all i care to have. Good luck with your tires
thanks for sharing. MY thinking is that if the tires are half the price of the GY G670 a guy could afford to replace them at 5 years instead of 8 to 10. I have only pudt 15000 miles on my rig in 8 years. Most of my trips are 200 miles each way. Last year I made a 2100 mile trip and will again this summer but that will be the last of my long road trips due to advancing age. Wife is 11 years younger so she will be doing more driving after this year and it will be shorter tripping.
I am looking to buy the Cooper/Hercules H 902 tire. It looks right for the motorhome.
Thanks to all for replies and your experience.
Bill
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks to all for replies and your experience.
Bill
No, thank YOU Bill

I'm an RV tech and I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from people like you on this forum. Naturally, the people here are the type I seldom see in our shop because you take care of your stuff.

Discussions like we have here provide valuable info for my memory bank so thanks to all of you for participating.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have purchased Cooper tires from my local dealer and I have recommended them to a good friend who also bought a set. Remarkable wear characteristics! Tires are never inexpensive however they can be cheap. Ya never wanna go cheap.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I have purchased Cooper tires from my local dealer and I have recommended them to a good friend who also bought a set. Remarkable wear characteristics! Tires are never inexpensive however they can be cheap. Ya never wanna go cheap.
your very right Driver.
I want safety as a priority and quality. Price is what it is. I do want the best dealer price though and not just the first offer that might be out of the ball park.
For example: I just had a quote for a lube service of 100.00 plus. I had it done for 65.00. I just had a quote for 100 for smog plus certificate. I just had it done for 50 including smog. Keep those things in mind if you have time and opportunity to survey the market. there are a lot of wolves in the RV market. they come and go and then come again with a different name. Sad but true.
thanks to everyone for their replies. All are very helpful,
Old 05-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
One of the items on the recent purchase of our DSDP was the installation of (4) new rear tires. In the past, I've had good luck with Michelins, and Hankooks for our rv's and personal vehicles. This time the availability of these (2) were back order status for 5-7 days. Our choices then became either Hercules or GY G670's. I chose the GY's, ONLY because they were brand new and the Hercules were also on back order. Of these (2), I would have chosen the Hercules based on high recommendations and price from my trusted tire dealer if they would have been immediately available.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My dealer inquiry shows a quantity of 50 tires in the ware house of the Cooper/Hercules H902 tires I would use. He suggested I give him 2 days to get them in and one day to do alignment if needed and install the 6 tires.
the spare GY G670 has been in the basement since I bought the motorhome new in 2004 so i will keep it for a spare. It has never seen daylight so it should be ok.
thanks for your reply

Tags
tires