Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

Rough ride '04 National Dolphin

Hey there anyone. I have an 04 National Dolphin 34 on workhorse chassis with 22.5 wheels, just added air suspension to the front and rear. Helped the handeling quite a bit but the unit still sounds like a coffee can with loose change in it when I hit bumps.
Someone sugested I lower the air pressure on the tires to 85lbs. I will try that today and see how it feels.
Post43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

Rough ride

Just lowered the air pressure from 100 in the back to 80 cold. and from 85 front to 80 cold. Will test tonight.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

Rough Ride continued

Test drive proved a slight difference but still horrible noises when over bumps and rough road. Off to the Workhorse dealer tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Two suggestions. Get your coach weighed at all four corners, if not possible, at least each axle and set tire pressures per the tire manufacturers' table.

Second, consider Koni FSD shocks.

I still continue to believe our coach rides rough, however this is a truck chassis not a car.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post43 View Post
Hey there anyone. I have an 04 National Dolphin 34 on workhorse chassis with 22.5 wheels, just added air suspension to the front and rear. Helped the handeling quite a bit but the unit still sounds like a coffee can with loose change in it when I hit bumps.
Someone sugested I lower the air pressure on the tires to 85lbs. I will try that today and see how it feels.
Please explain what this "air suspension" consists of and who makes it. Is the noise you find unacceptable coming from the chassis or from "stuff" inside the coach???

FWIW, arbitrary lowering of tire pressure absent actual loaded weights and use of inflation table from your tire manufacturer isn't a good idea. Under inflation for the load being carried is the single biggest cause of blow outs.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Rough ride

Thanks all for your sugesstions. I have spoken to a Workhorse service center and they confirm that these chassies ride hard because of the big leaf springs. But we have all come to the conclusion that the shocks that came with the truck are not great quality and after ten years and 35,000 miles they are most likely shot. I also spoke to the Koni people and they suggested the FSD shocks would help quite a bit. So I have ordered them and will install next week. Someone had mentioned them to me here in this blog as well, thanks for that!
I also installed, several months ago, a Kelderman Air Ride suspension system in the front, it mounts to the back end of the two leaf springs, that helped with stability and rocking very well and completely stopped the bouncing that comes from having only leaf springs. (Another reason I think the shocks are worn out). THE Koni people were very interested in the Kelderman system and want me to call back after their shocks are installed.
I also installed a very simple air system on the rear of the coach and that was a good improvement as well.
So next week I'll put the tires back to 90lbs and put the new shocks in and see how it goes.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #7

Sound advice from Fred & Bonnie. Weigh the 4 corners or at least the axles and adjust tire pressure according to the manufacturers recommendations. As for the Koni's, you're gonna love them. I did mine in July and kick myself for not doing it sooner. A lot of the banging noise we heard going over expansion joints and other irregularities in the road have been reduced to practically zero. The other thing I had Brazel's do was an alignment where they added 6 degrees of castor. Instead of herding the motorhome down the road, I point it where I want to go and it does it. I can relax and take in the scenery now.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post43 View Post
But we have all come to the conclusion that the shocks that came with the truck are not great quality and after ten years and 35,000 miles they are most likely shot. I also spoke to the Koni people and they suggested the FSD shocks would help quite a bit. So I have ordered them and will install next week.
The original shocks on the 2004 were medium duty Monroe truck shocks and IMHO pure junk. I'm surprised yours made it 35,000 miles.

Installing the Koni shocks worked well for me and I'm sure they are the best solution to your problem.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #9

Thanks all..... the shocks are being installed Wed.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #10

Shocks

Hey there All..... installed the new Koni FSD front shocks and they have made a significant improvement in the front end noise. The coach still rattles on bigger bumps and potholes, but on the good roads with smaller imperfections and joints in the road the noises are almost gone. Much better overall as the old shocks must have been shot!!!!
I also spent some time under the dash and tightened EVERYTHING since nothing under there was tight any more. Used zip ties to help stabilize things and changed screws over to bolts and lock washers.
Any other suggestions would all be appreciated. David
Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

David,
Glad to hear there has been an improvement but don't forget, this is a solid front axle like Henry Ford used in the Model A. You'll never get the quality ride and quietness of an independent suspension with coil over shocks under a unibody assembly. Unfortunately, the rather dated but more economical design transmits some of the harshness to the coach. Maybe others have nice quiet rides in their W22 and 24s but we've learned to live with the occasional squeak and slight bang going down the road in our rig. I just keep in mind it's not our Buick Enclave. Sorry, I know that's not much consolation.
Keith
Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What Rocky68D says ^^^^^ X2. Its a medium duty truck chassis, not a Cadillac.

Tags
national, dolphin