RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #1

I recently became the owner of a 2000 Fleetwood Flair 25Y on a P30 chassis. The engine shifts nicely upon startup, but after driving about 25 miles, shifting becomes rough. For example, when it shifts from 3rd to 4th, it will give me a pretty good jerk in the driver's seat. It does this in all gears. It is like a short hesitation before the higher gear kicks in. I have had the transmission flushed and serviced and then driven 300 miles. No change. Do you have any ideas on what the problem is and what the solution would be? Thanks.

laborinvainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #2

I recently became the owner of a 2000 Fleetwood Flair 25Y on a P30 chassis. The engine shifts nicely upon startup, but after driving about 25 miles, shifting becomes rough. For example, when it shifts from 3rd to 4th, it will give me a pretty good jerk in the driver's seat. It does this in all gears. It is like a short hesitation before the higher gear kicks in. I have had the transmission flushed and serviced and then driven 300 miles. No change. Do you have any ideas on what the problem is and what the solution would be? Thanks.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like maybe the valve body is sticking after warm up -- a transmission shop should be able to diagnose this for you.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Dump a bottle of Lube Guard in. It can't hurt and might save you a lot of money.

LUBEGARD® ATF PROTECTANT:
· Reduces operating temperature, allowing transmissions to perform more efficiently.
· Increases thermal & oxidative stability of ATF for stop & go driving, heavy loads & towing.
· Reduces transmission wear, extends fluid & transmission life.
· Maximizes over all transmission performance.
· Helps reduce comeback & warranty problems for shops & mechanics.
· Insures proper & smooth shifts.
· Prevents clutch chatter & torque converter shudder.
· Eliminates objectionable noise (squawks) during shifts.
· Keeps valves free. Frees stuck valves in valve bodies.
· Prevents hung governors.
· Modifies harsh shifts & makes them quicker in duration.
· Can be used with all ATFs: OEM, Synthetic or Mineral-Oil Based.
· Contains LXE (synthetic esters & synthetics).
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #5

I'd be leerly about "dumping" additives into my 2001 Allison. I just changed the fluid with the two step process to Mobil 1 Synthetic and it runs strong.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:45 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by abarkl:
I'd be leery about "dumping" additives into my 2001 Allison. I just changed the fluid with the two step process to Mobil 1 Synthetic and it runs strong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I hear that! The original poster does have the GM transmission and as Full-Timers suggested it might not hurt to try given the year and current performance of the motorhome.

I do know that there isn't any such thing as a mechanical fix in a can however perhaps this could be low-cost option to try. If the tranny improves perhaps the effort was justified.

The best option is to have the transmission serviced because most likely there is something wrong with the tranny or communication between the PCM and the tranny. The problem could be as simple as a poor electrical connection.

I do not want anyone to think that they should add any additives to their Allison Transmissions. Please don't even go there!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Actually I first heard about LubeGuard from an authorized Allison Technician.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 AM   #8

My vehicle is at the transmission shop. It turns out that mice had eaten through some electric wires on the transmission. I am happy that it will be a relatively cheap fix ($300-350) Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the mice nest out of my dash HVAC. I'm serious! What a stink!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 AM   #9
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Try putting a few mothballs on top of your motor and tires when you are parked for a while. It helps me with the little rodents - keeping them away.

I know you must catch a few moths first and make sure that they are male but one must do what one must do to protect their coach. Have fun.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #10

When we first got our coach (used) we had a terrible stink from the dash air. Turned out to be soured coolant from a leaky heater core. Out of warranty, naturally. :-(

Cisco and Pancho,
DickNJo is offline   Reply With Quote