Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Safety Recall 61101-C Fuel fill hose leak

As I reported earlier this year on my leaking fuel hose on the pass side of the fuel tank. This 3 inch hose has a steel cap, hose, and two clamps. This is used to plug the not used fuel tank fill nipple.

The hose material failed after approx 18 months of use.

Attached is a pic of the cracked hose and the recall notice[IMG]aolemb://73597FDC-4D89-4F53-ACAA-096C3E7A5D8E/DSC04916%20crack%20hose.jpg[/IMG]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pic of hose

[IMG]aolemb://3EE50CA0-A1FC-4DDD-96BE-A372EE24DB25/DSC04916%20crack%20hose.jpg[/IMG] leaking fuel through cracks
Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Notice dated oct 2010 received 25th Oct 2010.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wh Scan.pdf (1.79 MB, 399 views)
Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

See our website for more in detail information regarding Safety Campaign 61101-C along with a .pdf file that goes into more detail.

Brazel's RV > Workhorse Recalls
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
See our website for more in detail information regarding Safety Campaign 61101-C along with a .pdf file that goes into more detail.
There you go 1st paragraph 75 & 100 gallon gas tanks.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exact wording from the notice I received:

"Workhorse Custom Chassis (Workhorse) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain W22 and R26 motor home chassis built from February 5, 2007 through May 24, 2010 equipped with optional 75 gallon dual fill fuel tanks."

No mention of 100 gallon tanks in the notice I received. Thanx to Jon Brazel for providing the correct info.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #7

I got the recall notice in the mail recently and don't understand whether the recall applies to us or not.
We have a 2008 W-22 with a 75 gallon tank. I don't recall it being a manufacturers option and it has a single fill on the driver side.
Do they mean that the tank had options for filling on either side and one side is used and the other is capped off?
The motorhome manufacturer (Newmar in our case) may have ordered the chassis from Workhorse with the optional tank, but the tank was not listed as an option to us.
Can anyone clarify?

2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Kraft Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraft Crew View Post
I got the recall notice in the mail recently and don't understand whether the recall applies to us or not. We have a 2008 W-22 with a 75 gallon tank. I don't recall it being a manufacturers option and it has a single fill on the driver side. Do they mean that the tank had options for filling on either side and one side is used and the other is capped off?
Kraft Crew, Workhorse on has 1 SKU for 75 gallon gas tanks and they give the OEMs a dual fill capability on all these tanks.

Most likely you have a driver's side fill. There is a 2nd port on the passenger side which is capped. It's that cap that needs to be replaced because of the condition of the materials that was provided was not to Workhorse specs. The problem as you know can manifest as a gasoline or vapor leak especially when you fill your tank.

If you got a recall letter - make no mistake you need to have that campaign cleared.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I was asked to put up this picture for you guys. The material has cracked and this is not in compliance with the requirements set out by Workhorse. If you have received a recall notice in this regard please have it checked and the condition resolved.

Photo provided by: Gerry (gg)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04916 Cracked Hose.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	6438  
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #10

That reminds me... my 2003 Newmar Scottsdale was built with heater hose for the fuel tank vent, which rotted apart in five years creating a fuel leak. It was also cut too short, kinking the hose at the bends and making the situation worse. Replacing it with proper fuel hose of the proper length of course solved the problem. The fill hose on the other hand was the right stuff. Go figure.

Note that this was a Newmar issue, not Workhorse.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuel Leak Vent Hose

I had a bad fuel leak from the rotted fuel filler vent hose. 2003 Tiffin Allegro Bay W-22. I hope that this is not a trend

Happy Motoring
John
John350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by John350 View Post
I had a bad fuel leak from the rotted fuel filler vent hose. 2003 Tiffin Allegro Bay W-22. I hope that this is not a trend

Happy Motoring
John, On your 2003 motorhome I don't see it as a trend but "Old Age." The concern and safety recall is being applied to a narrow band of vehicle VIN# whose auxiliary fill port was capped using out of specification materials which were only recently discovered to be defective.

Knock on wood here but ... all my original rubber stuff is still in place and working. I don't recall changing any failed or rubber hoses. Mileage now is 87,400. It is getting to the point now where I am more observant in regard to my hoses but as of today, they are still hanging in there.

My gas tank has been out of my vehicle 3 to 4 times that I'm aware of. When my tank was replaced, there was trouble with the cap on the aux fill port which caused the center to drop the tank again, find and repair the leak.

The tank was just dropped again to replace the fuel pump and so far so good!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
vent hose fuel leak

Thanks for the feedback.

John
John350 is offline   Reply With Quote