RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ScanGauge

Is this the ScanGauge I need to order for monitoring my engine temperature?

http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Comp...0847295&sr=1-1

Thanks,

Ron

Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Yes, ScanGuage II is the latest model. It would be nice to monitor your transmission temp, however I believe your units model year won't send the info.

ScanGuage has lots of info, read the booklet and decide what is important, program in the info.

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks,

I'll probably have more questions after I get it installed. I should have it in a couple of days.

Ron
Old 04-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Is this the ScanGauge I need to order for monitoring my engine temperature?

http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Comp...0847295&sr=1-1

Thanks,

Ron
i got mine from mileage pros online for $155. if you buy it from oemy, he will have all the x gauge items applicable to your rig installed when he ships it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i got mine from mileage pros online for $155. if you buy it from oemy, he will have all the x gauge items applicable to your rig installed when he ships it.
Dan L,

What do you mean by x-gauge items, could you please explain?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Dan L,

What do you mean by x-gauge items, could you please explain?

Thanks,

Ron
if you look at mileage pros website or the scan gauge website, you will find a better explanation than i can provide. but, here goes:
each scangauge comes with a trip computer, about 14 engine and chassis functions, diagnostic codes and the ability to "learn" several other functions. the learned ones are the xgauge items. they are different for each moho, depending on manufacturer and year.
my moho uses the gm vpw setup only. my xgauge functions are: allison trans fluid temp (5 SPEED ONLY), engine running elapsed time, knock timing retard degrees, barometer, air-fuel ratio, engine torque (indicates 0 on my moho but it is supposed to work), remaining oil life (doesn't work on my moho, reads 0), horsepower, fuel trim for each injector, and other info. to install each of these functions, you have to input 4 strings of alpha-numeric codes. the codes are found in a pdf file on the scangauge website. it is kind of tedious for want of a better word inputting these codes. if you are too slow, the codes do not take and sometimes you have to start over.
an example is torque: TRQ
TXB: 6C10F12219DE(01)
RXF: 0462851906DE
RXD: 3010
MTH: 000A00020000
that is the one i have input 4 times and it still doesn't work. i get a 0 reading. linear logic, the manufacturer is supposed to get back to me on that. i also asked them about why there is not an xgauge function for engine oil pressure for my machine. still no word on that either.
OEMY is making some codes himself. he recently posted a code for the mass air flow sensor. i haven't tried to input it yet.
my dw read me the codes while i input them.
when everything is installed correctly, the unit mostly works very well.
the main reason i bought it was for the allison temperature readout. for me, the rest are "gravy" so to speak. that one works great. my ally ran 137-142 deg f with dex lll. i recently installed amsoil synthetic tes295 fluid and i want to compare the trans temperatures.
the engine coolant temperature, tachometer, and speedometer are other functions i use a lot. you can display 4 functions at any one time. you can change the display functions at will.
you certainly get a LOT of operating info from the sc2 for the price.
i hope this helps.
good luck
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Dan,

Looks like I will have a lot to learn, and that may take some time since I'm a slow learner

Right now the main thing I will be looking for is the engine temp. The rest will have to come later, probably much later

Ron
Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
If you go to my FREE Web Site Tech TipsScan Gauge II for more info and How To input Xgauge parms. But, if you don't want to spent the time to input 14 gauges that I have them available pre-program.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Or you can get a http://www.aeroforcetech.com/ All features are already functional including trans temp.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #10

ScanGuage Forums

You may also want to take a look at this ScanGuage Forum. Another interesting vehicle computer is the Kiwi which monitors driver habits to provide instant graphical feedback to improve mpg. Similar to today's hybrid computers found in cars. A Youtube video of the Kiwi can be found here. They also offer a iPhone version, and a basic mpg trip computer ($89.) for those who do not have this function built into their coach.

Explore America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Or you can get a http://www.aeroforcetech.com/ All features are already functional including trans temp.
From what I know about the Aeroforce Gauge it lacks any updating by the end user (you have to send it back for updates), no Xgauge (extra gauges) function and it does not work with a 6sp Allison.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

I should receive my ScanGauge some time today, and I'm sure I will be back with more questions, since I'm not to good at reading or following direction

Ron
Old 04-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

I should receive my ScanGauge some time today, and I'm sure I will be back with more questions, since I'm not to good at reading or following direction

Ron
Step #1-Take a deep breath, sip another cup of coffee, or better yet a cold one and slowly read the instructions.

Step #2- GO TO OEMY's site listed above, this is the best visual walk through there is.

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote