Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I received my Scan GaugeII back from having the Update installed in hopes of being able to read Trans Temps. Didn't work. I talked with a technical rep. Joey, at Linear Logic/Scan Gauge, we did the manual reload again for his info. and was told they were not able at this time to support the Allison and were receiving calls from other's that did the upgrade mainly for the Allison temp. reading ability.
I was told by Scan Gauge II, before sending mine in for upgrade, that it Would work on the Allison Transmission.
I also told the tech that I thought I had read here on iRV2 that some else did the upgrade and it did work on the SGII with the Allison????
If someone does have a SGII that does measure Allison Temps they would like to talk with them. Hopefully SGII will have this solved soon, they said, and apologized for the misunderstanding.
The Tech., Joey, said he would review iRV2 Workhorse forum and post what Scan GaugeII info. he had regarding the Allison issue.

You can contact Joey, SGII rep at.joey.snyder@linear-logic.com .
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I received my Scan GaugeII back from having the Update installed in hopes of being able to read Trans Temps. Didn't work. I talked with a technical rep. Joey, at Linear Logic/Scan Gauge, we did the manual reload again for his info. and was told they were not able at this time to support the Allison and were receiving calls from other's that did the upgrade mainly for the Allison temp. reading ability.
I was told by Scan Gauge II, before sending mine in for upgrade, that it Would work on the Allison Transmission.
I also told the tech that I thought I had read here on iRV2 that some else did the upgrade and it did work on the SGII with the Allison????
If someone does have a SGII that does measure Allison Temps they would like to talk with them. Hopefully SGII will have this solved soon, they said, and apologized for the misunderstanding.
The Tech., Joey, said he would review iRV2 Workhorse forum and post what Scan GaugeII info. he had regarding the Allison issue.

You can contact Joey, SGII rep at.joey.snyder@linear-logic.com .
FMCA 212171
Old 10-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FreshAir:

You can contact Joey, SGII rep at.joey.snyder@linear-logic.com . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. I just received mine new. There's a small slip of paper that came out of box that says: "To add vehicle specific gauges like transmission temperature, go to: www.scangauge.com/support/xgauge.
I'll watch this post to see what other forum members with ScanGauge II and Allison Trannys experience with the display.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
Interesting. I just received mine new. There's a small slip of paper that came out of box that says: "To add vehicle specific gauges like transmission temperature, go to: www.scangauge.com/support/xgauge.
I'll watch this post to see what other forum members with ScanGauge II and Allison Trannys experience with the display. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pubtym, when I plugged mine in after the update there was not a refference to Trans Temp. I called and they went through the entire manual setup with me and we entered a Trans temp name, TFT, "trans fluid temp". After that the TFT when selected showed the number 32 and stayed that way, 32, engine running. They didn't know what 32 meant??.
I think the new ones like your's tells you to go to their Web Page for additional instructions. Just wait and see, I guess.

Aditional info. Just hooked the SGII to my 06 Silverado 1/2 ton, not an Allison trans. It worked perfect on the Trans Temps. Why's the world getting so complicated?
FMCA 212171
Old 10-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The W22 did not have a temperature sensor for the transmission. I do not know if the W24 has sensors.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
The interceptor gauge from http://www.aeroforcetech.com/ shows the transmission temp as well as 28 other paramaters - I run with the coolant temp and the transmision temps showing. Its oil pressure confirmed the failure of my oil pump and probably convinced me to shut down the motor before I had bearing dammage.
It will also read errors and clear them if necessary. I am running a 2003 W22.
It simply plugs into the info port by the stearing wheel.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It simply plugs into the info port by the stearing wheel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>....................................... ........................................
The "Interceptor" also reads the data listed by JCM from the Allison 1000 in my '04 W20. I know that isn't exactly the question posed here, but I thought the info might be of interest to other W 20 owners...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JCM:
The interceptor gauge from http://www.aeroforcetech.com/ shows the transmission temp as well as 28 other paramaters - I run with the coolant temp and the transmision temps showing. Its oil pressure confirmed the failure of my oil pump and probably convinced me to shut down the motor before I had bearing dammage.
It will also read errors and clear them if necessary. I am running a 2003 W22.
It simply plugs into the info port by the stearing wheel.
Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JCM, thank's for the post and the information that the "interceptor" will read the Allison Transmission temperature.
I forwarded your post to Scan Gauge II and they replied saying that if the "interceptor" can do it then the Allison is sending the proper info. and they will get busy and fix their product.

This was their reply:
If they can do it then that means it is possible so the ScanGauge can do it. Next week we will be at the SEMA show, the following week I will try and get someone local with an Allison transmission to let us play in his truck and figure it out. This is good news that means they can be communicated with via the OBDII port.
Thank you very much for sending this to me.
Joey
FMCA 212171
Old 10-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FreshAir:

Pubtym, when I plugged mine in after the update there was not a refference to Trans Temp. I called and they went through the entire manual setup with me and we entered a Trans temp name, TFT, "trans fluid temp". After that the TFT when selected showed the number 32 and stayed that way, 32, engine running. They didn't know what 32 meant??.
QUOTE]

I am reading the same steady "32", glad to hear ScanGuageII is working on this. I received a trans temp warning on the small digital dash panel, so there must be temp sampling going on.

BTW can you sample Horse Power? I just a blank reading.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r2dillon:
The W22 did not have a temperature sensor for the transmission. I do not know if the W24 has sensors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Allison 1000/2100mh series of transmissions does have a temperature sensor but it is located in the sump. This sensor can be read using Allison's proprietary PC-based diagnostic tool software (and apparently by the Interceptor gauge). The normal operating temperature range for the sump is 160F - 200F.

The temperature that is of most interest to the driver is the converter-out temperature. To read the converter-out temperature a sending unit has to be installed in the line from the "to cooler" port on the bottom of the transmission to the cooler and as close to the transmission as possible. The normal operating temperature for this sending unit is 180F - 220F.

[Source: Allison Mechanic Tips 1000 and 2000 Products Families]

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Installed mine today. Nice looking gauge. Mounted it on the upper edge dash...left of steering wheel. Ran connecting cord down left of dash by CB radio then under dash to OBDII Connector. Wire tied extra cord out of the way under dash. Setup was easy. I'm not towing dinghy so I'm not terribly concerned about tranny and water temps.

I'm more interested in maintaining a speed and power condition that gives me optimum range for the travel day with optimum mpg for that range.
With this in mind, I setup my 4 gauge display for "RPM", "Mpg", "FIA" (Temperature of air going to engine-..inlet air), and "LOD" (Engine Loading-the percentage of the maximum power currently being generated.

Took the rig out on Interstate and local roads.
Observation #1: a 50-70% LOD...,maintained mostly by my foot on the throttle
, consistently gave me speeds of 60-70 mph on level and slightly rolling terrain with an mpg ranging from 7.3 to 13. I was surprised to see an accel to 70mph then, I could adjust LOD back to 50-60 % and still maintain the 65-70 mph. It was almost like "leaning out" the selected cruise. Observation #2. From a dead stop, maintaining a 60-70 % LOD through all gears, gave me a fairly good accel rate and mpg.
More play with the toy tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JCM
Did you get the PT201 ??
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #13
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have no idea what the model number is but it is the one for the Workhorse - is listed on the web page.
I got the red on and reversed the text and background colors so that it has a red background and black letters - much like the dash lights.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Wanted to bump this back to the top to see if anyone has talked anymore with Scangauge to find out if they've fixed the Transmission Temp issue.

Like was said on one of the earlier posts here if Aeroforce can do it then Scangauge should also be able to do it.

I like some of the extra features in the Scangauge, but if they can't get the transmission temp figured out then I'm going with Aeroforce.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote