Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
wthomas1, It's not nice to try and fool mother nature!
I wouldn't do it again but circumstances dictated that we be home yesterday.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #30
Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have them on special all next month! DesertCamper you are correct Ralph Andrews builds them for Brazel's and Blue Ox.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazels RV Performance View Post
We have them on special all next month! DesertCamper you are correct Ralph Andrews builds them for Brazel's and Blue Ox.
Good to know. I thought they both looked very similar. By far the Ultra Trac and Blue Ox trac bars looked to be the nicest quality compared to the competitors versions out there. If I did not make my own I would have bought one of those two brands. I still have to get my DIY designed trac bar pictures to Oemy to put on his site.

So I take it the Ultra Trac front trac bar is also the same as Blue Ox? Because if I decided in the future to add a front trac bar I would like that design. I do prefer black paint vs red. Are all Ultra parts red or do you also offer black powder coated painted parts?
dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #32
Official iRV2 Sponsor

All of our's are red, that's our color. Our price is better, so you can buy some paint LOL.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #33

I can't believe in this lengthy discussion nobody has mentioned the word "DRAFT". Are any of you guys NASCAR fans? Thats all that it is! Sure you can make chassis changes and modifications to help it, but the only way to get a "HANDLE" on this is for the driver to be aware of the "cause and effect" of the air being pushed by the passing vehicle. This is not a problem with just UFO chassis. We have a Dolphin 5320 front engine and when on Interstate highways, I drive looking in mirrors as much as looking out the windshield. I believe all RV dealers fall short on educating there customers on driving these rigs.
In response to 'Guyman Hall' (4-26) reply, you have less push on the rv when towing a trailer because after the draft of the passing vehicle hits the trailer, the passing vehicle gets inside the draft of air coming of of your vehicle and no longer has the push against your rv when along side of you. Have you noticed that when you pass another rv or semi you will get a slight push to the left after getting even with or just ahead of the passed vehicle? You at that point are leaving the draft of that vehicle. Another note on this is that when towing a trailer you also have a pivot point(trailer hitch) for the push against the trailer to correct itself before affecting the rv.
Someone also mentioned that the push in more noticed when being passed by a flat front semi. Of course, they are less aerodynamic and therfore push more air.
? Do they cover this at any of the RV education seminars at some of the rallys???
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazels RV Performance View Post
MIKE B:
Does THAT mean that I need to order one during MAY to take advantage of the savings?? Thanks,
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
MIKE B:
Does THAT mean that I need to order one during MAY to take advantage of the savings?? Thanks,
ED, IDEA!!!! I'd remove the Henderson Bar and re-use what I already have!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Turn on Your Headlights

I find that the Passing Semi drivers will give a lot more Room on the Pass if you have DTRL or Headlights on as They pass You. It just gives them a better perspective of where You are!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #37

Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield's Avatar

I didn't see if your motorhome has an air suspension, but when I first got my Expedition with the Freightliner XC chassis, I had the same uneasy feelings as you've experienced.

After reading a number of posts about this situation, I noted a number of people had recommended a fix offered by the Henderson Company that specializes in big rig handling. The fix was a device called a "Motion Control Unit".

I put one on each corner of the suspension, and the difference is dramatic. I now have a very stable ride even when encountering the big rigs.

2016 Thor Tuscany 40GQ
Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield View Post
After reading a number of posts about this situation, I noted a number of people had recommended a fix offered by the Henderson Company that specializes in big rig handling. The fix was a device called a "Motion Control Unit"
PiBDB, MCUs are very popular with the air suspension population because they work. Just about everyone I know has installed them including our iRV2 Founder "Warpath."

MCUs may also be installed on the Workhorse R-Series.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
ED, IDEA!!!! I'd remove the Henderson Bar and re-use what I already have!
Sorry, but I'm not that energetic, and I figure the new owner of the old one will appreciate having the stability the SS302 provides. Heck, I'm not even moving the hand-held CB......I'm such a nice guy!

Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
......I'm such a nice guy!
U da man!