Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Service Engine Warning Light......

We took some friends with us over to Port St Joe, FL to the Scallop Festival today...about 35 miles one way....in the motorhome and had a great time.

On the way home, the Service Engine Warning Light (on the right side of the instrument panel below the seat belt light...it is the little engine icon...)came on and shined red. Everything was running fine and temp was normal. I pulled off the road and pulled out my Work Horse Owners Manual to see what it had to say....And there wasn't a whole lot of info in there. I did find the Instrument Panel Cluster diagram in the manual and it called the light 'Service Engine Warning Light' but gave very little info as to cause and remedy.

Is this just the warning to change oil soon? I had just been telling my buddy who was sitting up front while our wives were yakking in the back that I was going to change oil (and lube) in the 8.1 as well as the gennie next week as it has been nearly 3000 mile since last change and right at one year. Hopefully that is all I need to do but was wondering if there was anything else the light might be indicating I need to check?

Thanks for any and all imput....

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #2

Usually there are red lights and yellow or orange lights. Red means stop, yellow means caution. E.g. my rig has a yellow Check Engine light, also known as the MIL or Malfunction Indicator Light; it also has a red Stop Engine light. The latter means low oil pressure or some other major threat that will end in loss of a large sweaty wad of money if not attneded to ASAP.

Because the light is red, I'm guessing its serious. I don't think you have any 3000 mile indicators for maintenance.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Joe View Post
On the way home, the Service Engine Warning Light (on the right side of the instrument panel below the seat belt light...it is the little engine icon...)came on and shined red. Everything was running fine and temp was normal. Thanks for any and all input....
Capt Joe, The SES (service engine soon) on your Workhorse indicates a malfunction with the emission controls. You should be able to proceed to your destination however your engine may not run optimally. The ECM at this point has registered a DTC (diagnostic trouble code), you will need to have that looked at by a service center. A Tech II will pull the code and the center can effect the repair.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there any difference in the "Service Engine Warning Light" and the "Service Engine Soon" light???

In my Workhorse Owner's Manual, I do see info on the SES light under the 5.7 Gas and 6.5 Diesel section on the instrument cluster but it seems to be called a 'Warning Light; in the section on the 8.1 cluster. There seems to be some difference in meaning if the SES light is flashing or steady...my Warning Light is burning steady in a red color.

The manual also indicates the steady burning SES light can mean things like a loose gas cap, wet wiring, low fuel, fuel brands, etc. Does this hold true for the Warning Light?

Thanks to you both for your input....Will appreciate any more thoughts you may have.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Is there any difference in the "Service Engine Warning Light" and the "Service Engine Soon" light???
In your case no there isn't.

Quote:
...my Warning Light is burning steady in a red color.
Yep - That's the way it's going to present.

Quote:
The manual also indicates the steady burning SES light can mean things like a loose gas cap, wet wiring, low fuel, fuel brands, etc. Does this hold true for the Warning Light?
These conditions are related to emissions.

It may even come to pass the the SES may clear itself at some point unless the problem is persistent.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will a regular consumer OBD II scanner pick up emission related problems? Or will it require a trip to a service center?
Thanks,

Old 08-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Will a regular consumer OBD II scanner pick up emission related problems? Or will it require a trip to a service center?
Capt Joe, A Tech II is the best instrument to identify problems and assist the technician in resolving that problem. A few systems on the chassis are only able to be diagnosed with a Tech II however I don't what all of those are.

I have a Scan Gauge II. It will display DTCs and allow me to clear those as well. If the DTC presents again, it would be time to go to the service center.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without more information it is hard to tell what that light means... Yes, it can mean "you are overdue for an oil change"

On the other hand my brother, who as driving a Detroit Desiel Series 60 at the time, (Pulling a trailer load of steel, he's a professional over-the-road driver) had his Service Engine light come on He headed direct for the shoulder (Since he was on an exit ramp at the time) and the guy in front of him was on the radio "Woooeeee, it' s like the clown car at the circuis with the flames shooting out from uner the hood"

He got stopped, inspected the engine and decided a call to DD was in order, The engine was ... split in two. Just that fast, less than 30 seconds from LIGHT to .. Damage. He hopped a ride with his buddy to the truck stop they were both headed for. Called his boss and Detroit Diesel (Engine under warranty) dropped his buddy's trailer and headed back, the plan was to pull his tractor out from under the trailer and then pull his trailer, using his buddy's tractor, back to the Truck Stop till his rig was fixed.

Got back and found the local wrecker called by DD on scene, pulled the trailer back to the Truck stop, registered for a room.. DD flew in a new engine and technician to install it and 24 hours later he was singing "on the road again"

That ....... Is a worst case of "Check engine soon"
Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #9

Joe- There is "generic" OBD2 and "enhanced." Generic coverage is the same for all same-fuel rigs. Generic DTCs are the same for each fuel type. Enhanced DTCs are customized per mfgr's ideas, dreams & needs. In addition, a better OBD2 protocol scan tool will acquire & report certain sensor information (e.g. oxygen sensor readings).

The minimum statutory requirement for an OBD2 scan tool is to report the emmisions related DTC numbers. From there scantools add features (clear DTCs (& shut off MIL), report DTCs in "plain English", report DTCs along w/text explanations..., direct additional testing to isolate problems in a particular VIN based on DTC presented). Some scantools don't do diesel, only gas. So its important to shop around & educate yourself before investing in a scantool.

The Tech2 that DriVer references is a Vetronix product. Vetronix started w/development of the Tech1 for GM to acquire the fullest extent of GM sensor readings and ECM-stored data, and then began modifying it for other brands. Eventually the Tech2 became the standard for GM and for Workhorse's GM drivetrain products. You don't need a Tech2 ($5,000 last time I checked 5 or more years ago w/all the bells & whistles) to read & deal w/DTCs, but it makes life simpler. About $400 for a scan tool can do all that the average DIY'er needs, might even get by for less. Just make sure your VIN is "supported," even if that means calling tech support @ the scantool mfgr, so you'll have a good range of sensor readings available.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Additional Information....

I borrowed a scanner from a buddy and read codes this afternoon. The scanner is a actron OBD II AutoScanner. Had no problems in reading the codes.

There were 2 codes shown. Both of them had the same code number and description with the #2 of 2 code adding a 'Pending' to the description.

The code was:
P0332
Knock Sensor 2
Circuit Low Input
(Bank 2)

Anybody give me any insight into cause/cure for this?

Thanks,

Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low sensor input suggests a bad connection on a wire
Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for that wa8yxm.
I just talked with a friend who owns/operates a big truck repair center who was saying much the same thing. He also said moisture will cause the same but we we haven't driven in any rain, etc for several weeks so I will check the wiring. I also have downloaded a lengthy flow chart for diagnosis and repair of this code and will follow that if I don't find a loose connection, wire, etc.

I know the sensor should be on the passenger side of the 8.1 but do you have the location so I can identify it?

Thanks again,

Old 08-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Knock Sensor Bank 2 Photo...

Is this what the sensor looks like on the passenger side of the 8.1L (Bank 2)? It looks like it is right behind the dip stick tube....Correct?
Thanks,