Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
DriVer... its in reference to the above quote.
I still don't see the reference to a DP. (diesel pusher???)

Quote:
OBTW - Has the "R" chassis made any money yet?
You would have to contact Gulfstream RV for that information. I don't have access to sales information. People that have them have told me that like them unless you have heard otherwise.

Expect to see more Workhorse RDP chassis going forward.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I still don't see the reference to a DP. (diesel pusher???)

Expect to see more Workhorse RDP chassis going forward.

Go read the article... the tests were run on DP's.

Hummm... same answer you gave in 04 when the R series came out. As I said back then they are fighting a uphill battle with Spartan, Freightliner and even the UFO (maybe). Not a bad chassis just ill conceived in my opinion. The service issue might be a non issue IF Navistar steps up to the plate. After seeing some of the Workhorse Service Centers and asking about the R series DP and hearing things like "What is an R series?" I have my doubts.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I am one of the few Koni dissenters. I installed four FSD Konis' several thousand miles ago on my 35N in place of the OEM Monroes and while they made a big improvement in side to side sway, the ride is very harsh.
I am loaded close to the max GVWR and have the tire pressure set per the Michelin chart.
I don't know why my experience is different from others but I guarantee a ride on anything other than a very good road in my rig will shake your eye teeth out.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clay L,

I have a set of front and rear (almost new) Bilstein shocks in my garage if you want them. They have been replaced by Koni FDS shocks. Big difference with a much softer ride without the sway and front end up and down movement.

Ed Hessemer
WCMC - VP Rallies West
Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I guess I am one of the few Koni dissenters. I installed four FSD Konis' several thousand miles ago on my 35N in place of the OEM Monroes and while they made a big improvement in side to side sway, the ride is very harsh.
I am loaded close to the max GVWR and have the tire pressure set per the Michelin chart.
I don't know why my experience is different from others but I guarantee a ride on anything other than a very good road in my rig will shake your eye teeth out.
No your not. I have nothing against koni's but I love my blistens and the ride I get. Now if I could get brakes to stop me.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #20

Do the OEM Bilsteins have a "lifetime" warranty? If so, whose or what lifetime? And what condition would constitute an adjustment or replacement if warranted?
To the folks who have installed Koni's and swear that the sideways bobbing is reduced, I would need to be real sure. Has Brazel done some kind of objective test between the two so that they can recommend them with conviction? I have no issue with my Bilsteins other than the bobbing, and I an really skeptical that Koni's will be the cure. BTW, our local Camping World will get and install Koni shocks with no hassle. In fact, the shop guy was quite neutral on the brands.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner

Bilstein Shocks

There’s a reason why Camping World carries only one line of shock absorbers

Lazelle D. Jones
RV View
Monday July 29, 2002

Camping World’s reputation rests squarely on the quality of the products it offers at its 30 store locations across America and through their catalogs. Nowhere is this better evidenced than with the shock absorbers it offers. Because of the high quality and long operating life they afford, Camping World has elected to offer Bilstein shock absorbers—exclusively.

two2go-I checked online again and the above (although dated) is still on the CW website. I couldn't find any mention anywhere offering Koni's. I didn't check yet but I believe my clapped out Bilsteins have the same OEM warrentee as Koni-the aftermarket units are lifetime-all OEM are limited in mileage or years.

oemtech-I'll have to admit I didn't consider that test unit being a DP. In my application however the Koni's are so superior to the Bilsteins it is not even close.
Gene

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Go read the article... the tests were run on DP's..
OH! Is that what you're talking about ... I agree! I think however they should have compared the shock absorber package to a Boeing 747's. I think "that" would have helped us a lot more than a an across the board endorsement and comparison using an RDP as a baseline.

Navistar's service centers are well equipped to work on heavy equipment and I expect that as soon as the etiquette is in place to work on rolling houses instead of commercial vehicles, Navistar will be able to provide along with the existing service centers the largest service organization for RV chassis anywhere. It is expected that in time this will come to pass.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Clay, I would like to know the end result on your problem and what you do to fix it.
Thanks,
Al DeVinaspre
2002 32H Bounder W22
aldevinaspre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The information I have read the lifetime warranty does not apply to OEM shocks and I believe that is industry standard.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster47 View Post
Clay L,

I have a set of front and rear (almost new) Bilstein shocks in my garage if you want them. They have been replaced by Koni FDS shocks. Big difference with a much softer ride without the sway and front end up and down movement.

Ed Hessemer
WCMC - VP Rallies West
I appreciate the offer Ed but a main part of my reason for changing shocks was to better control the side to side sway. The Koni's do a good job of that.
I think for now I will keep the Koni's and hope they calm down a little as they break in.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldev View Post
Clay, I would like to know the end result on your problem and what you do to fix it.
Thanks,
Al DeVinaspre
2002 32H Bounder W22
At this point I guess I will put up with the ride because of the improvement in side to side sway.
With the Monroe's I had to be very careful going in and out of gas stations and many campgrounds because it took very little in the way of an uneven surface to cause a huge sideways roll.
We had dishes held in place (we thought) with spring bars come crashing out of the cabinets. That is well controlled now.

P.S.
Back in 2005 I did change the original 2003 chassis model year 2 inch front anti-sway bar to the 2.5 inch that WH started using in 2004 (or late 2003), so that isn't part of the problem.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
P.S. Back in 2005 I did change the original 2003 chassis model year 2 inch front anti-sway bar to the 2.5 inch that WH started using in 2004 (or late 2003), so that isn't part of the problem.
Right after you did yours I did mine! I think that was a good upgrade to do and it bolted right on. Now getting a 5 foot long torque wrench was another thing!

In order to get that done, I went to the "CAT Ring Power" in Ocala, Florida to borrow one and I actually did all the pulling. The tech just held the wrench on the nut. There was no "charge" (for the wrench) BTW - I don't believe.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We replaced our stock Bilsteins with Koni's at 25K miles. They dramatically helped with sway and especially tippiness in turns. No more flopping down the street after pulling out of the drive.
The ride itself is a good bit firmer though, where the Bilsteins would float over bumps, the Konis react with quick thuds. No poirposing though.
We still had a bit of front end wander and vague steering feel, so we broke down and stuck on a trackbar and set of sway bars.
Now I can actually feel the front tires through the wheel. Much, much, easier drive.
That said, everything is so firm now I think we may want to switch back to a softer shock to even out the ride.
Anybody else find themselves in this predicament?