Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Tech View Post
Every time I test drive a P32 coach at the shop, I have to remind myself to initiate braking much sooner than normal and if I forget...well, let’s just say I’ve had a couple butt pucker events!!!
Jon, would a braking system from a W series fit on a P32? My P32 has always made me nervous on braking. I tow a Jeep, too. Good thing my braking system on the toad works well and doesn't add to the problem of stopping the P32.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #16

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Jon, would a braking system from a W series fit on a P32? My P32 has always made me nervous on braking. I tow a Jeep, too. Good thing my braking system on the toad works well and doesn't add to the problem of stopping the P32.
Unfortunately no. The only system I have ever seen that actually made a huge difference in braking performance on a P32 is a electromagnetic drive-line retarder. Big bucks but holy cow do they work well.

https://youtu.be/5FMoUEmSsdE
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have DRUM or DISC brakes? There is a reason I ask but let's get to that.

I have not checked the law on locking the brakes but last time I checked in Michigan there was a rule abut "Stopping in so many feet from 20 MPH" Let me check Yup This is from section 257.705 of the Michigan Compiled Acts likely 2005 edition

(2) A motor vehicle or combination of motor-drawn vehicles shall be capable at all times and under all
conditions of loading, of being stopped on a dry, smooth, level road free from loose material within the
distances specified in this subsection, or shall be capable of being decelerated at a sustained rate
corresponding to these distances upon initial application of the service (foot) brake.
Feet to stop Deceleration
from 20 miles in feet
per hour per second
Vehicles or combination
of vehicles having brakes on
all wheels ..................... 30 14
Vehicles or combination
of vehicles not having brakes
on all wheels .................. 40 10.7

So if you can stop it in 30 feet. From 20 mph on pavement you are good.

Now the disc brake question:

My first towed was a 1992 Lumina APV Front disc, rear drum. The dealer and I both noticed excessive brake pedal travel. I was worried. 3 times the dealer worked on it and no joy.. No improvement.

Finally I put my trained mind to work,, While sitting at my desk (I had a job with "Down time" where i"m sitting there waiting for something to happen, and UP time when well SHTF is the applicable 4 letters. (All You know what breaks loose) and handle it I must.

I visualized the brake system.. Next AM I went to the tire store and give the write up man one specific instruction "Mic The Drums" (Measure the inside diameter of the drums)

They were WAY out of spec new drums and the brakes were like new.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #18

P32 Braking

Jon, I’m looking into the Thelma drive line retarder. Can’t get a line on the cost so far, but I’ll call them tomorrow. I’ll also call this week to make sure I have the best brake pads available.

wa8yxm, this coach has discs all around, and all rotors and pads were replaced last summer after I bought the coach. It appears the P32 is known for weak braking in the industry. Not a comfortable thought for me... I’ll see if I can pass the 20 mph test next time I take the coach out. If I do meet the spec, I’ll still consider these brakes marginal at best- too many real-life situations- like coming over the crest of a hill and see a line of cars stopped at a red light- are alarming to feel comfortable.
gozierdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes