Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

Should I change trans fluid??

We have a 1995 P32 chassis class A with the 4L80E trans behind a 350 engine. The trans and engine was replaced by the PO, one at about 40K miles, the other about 60K miles. I lost the paperwork, (grrrr) so I don't remember which. It now has 93 thousand miles on it, and two of my good friends who work as mechanics say leave it alone... What do you all say? The trans doesn't leak a drop, fluid looks good, (yes I used to wrench for a living, on aircraft, built many a Mopar hotrod), BUT,,, I'd hate to change the fluid/filter just to have it start slipping, and cost us a bunch on money for a rebuild... This RV has never towed anything as far as I can tell,, (I have the original trailer hitch), and the trans works great... But I'm going to change the rear differential fluid in a month or so,,, and no, we don't put a lot of miles on it... Have made 3 trips from Arkansas to Arizona in the last 3 years or so,, a couple shorter ones... So not full timing seeing the country... It sits inside a garage mostly now.,,, except when I get it out to excerise the engine and genny... Should I change the fluid/filter, or leave it be? Thanks for your opinions. Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I follow the manufacturers recommendation for transmission fluid changes. On my Ford coach it's every 30k miles.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Thanks Vince, but this doesn't apply to my case.... Some people says I've waited too long now and I'll run into problems by changing it now... Guess I should have looked before posting, but my Chevy manual says change the trans fluid @ 50,000 miles "IF" in heavy city traffic,, or in hilly mountainous terrain, or when doing frequent trailer towing. Guess all those would apply to pulling a 11,000 lb coach around... So would I be ok you all think changing the fluid now,,, I figure no more than 53,000 miles at most on the trans.... ????
Old 09-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #4

You probably already know your 4L80 E was filled with Dexron III. That "name" is no longer licensed by GM, but there are some aftermarket fluids that claim to be "same as". In your case I think I would do a partial change with new fluid claiming to be Dex III. IOW, just replace the amount of fluid which comes out of the drain, or just the pan contents, if you don't have a plug. That way you will have a blend of fresh fluid that will "improve" what you have, and hopefully not cause any problems that might have occurred with a full flush.

I would caution you not to use the "new" DEXRON VI (Dex 6) because it has the potential to ruin your seals. Allison has gone so far as to issue a bulletin warning owners of their older models not to use Dex 6, stating it WILL damage their seals. Why take the chance? If you can find some Dexron III equilivent, go for it. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never heard of "it's too late to change it." Change it.

Think about it...the first guy had to replace the transmission, probably because he didn't change the fluid.

Mine is an Allison transmission and the manual tells you not to do a power flush as that will cause problems. I change about every 25,000.

So I'd change the fluid but not do a power flush.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Monkey
Transmission replacement is 3-5K. You can buy a lot of fluid for that. The pan has magnets that hold fine metal dust. Any filter residue decreases internal pressure that can lead to slipping and slow engagement. Fluid degrades with time and especially temperature. I burned one out in an earlier 24 ft Fleetwood Flair on a hot day, within the warranty period.
The one in my 2003 Sightseer works like new. At 50kmi I flushed it with synthetic fluid and filled it with synthetic temperature tolerant fluid. At 100kmi changed filter, synthetic fluid and cleaned pan. Now at 125Kmi and it runs like I just bought it. Hope to get 200Kmi out of it.
Bite the bullet and do it to guarantee a long trans life.
Gary
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyspang View Post
Hi Monkey
Transmission replacement is 3-5K. You can buy a lot of fluid for that. The pan has magnets that hold fine metal dust. Any filter residue decreases internal pressure that can lead to slipping and slow engagement. Fluid degrades with time and especially temperature. I burned one out in an earlier 24 ft Fleetwood Flair on a hot day, within the warranty period.
The one in my 2003 Sightseer works like new. At 50kmi I flushed it with synthetic fluid and filled it with synthetic temperature tolerant fluid. At 100kmi changed filter, synthetic fluid and cleaned pan. Now at 125Kmi and it runs like I just bought it. Hope to get 200Kmi out of it.
Bite the bullet and do it to guarantee a long trans life.
Gary
I agree 100%,flush with synthetic fluid.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would recommend starting with getting a transmission fluid analysis done. This is an excellent lab: RV Oil Analysis | Leading RV Analysis Company | JG Lubricant Services
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Trans fluid is cheap compared to a trans rebuild.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #10

Thankyou everybody... This place has such great people wanting/willing to help. The reason I asked was I think it pertains more to newer transmissions,,, if you go to far past the change interval, (sp?) then "they" recommend Not changing the fluid because it could cause slipping... I just spent $200 and a day in my shop changing the differential fluids (front and rear) and the transfer case fluid in my 04 Grand Cherokee,,, guess DW won't let me buy a new 3/4 ton Ram 4x4 right now... Thanks again everybody !!!!

Tags
fluid