Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Question Sloppy steering

Hi Folks
New guy here. Just acquired a 2007 Tiffin gas MH on a Workhorse chassis. I've searched this forum looking for information on how to tighten the steering box if possible. The only thing I've found so far is a reference by Brazel to the fact WH changed the steering in 2007 which made highway feel less positive and I'm afraid I am a victim of that change. I've haven't taken possession yet as the dealer has a couple of items to fix. After my test drive, I was not satisfied with the highway steering and the salesman recommended the Truecenter steering control to improve it. I went along with that and have not driven it yet since that add on. I discovered that it had a Safe-T-plus I believe but went ahead with the Truecenter. It has a substantial rear track bar that appears to be OEM and some shims in evidence under the front springs. I will weigh it as soon as I take possession and adjust the tire pressure accordingly. The rears seem over inflated now. (about 115psi on my gauge). I previously have been towing a TT with a Ford excursion, which is notorious for wandering steering. From a Ford forum I learned we could judiciously adjust the steering box a little at time and make great improvement in the wanderlust. So, I was wondering if that might be possible on the Workhorse. I spoke with the suspension tech at the dealership and he thought it had some play in the steering wheel but without some specs. for tightening he would not attempt it. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Ben
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the same issue with my W22 biggest improvement is getting the tire Preassure correct for your weight. Too much air is not a good thing!!
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The only way to truly fix the sensitive steering on the 06+ model years is to retrofit back to the older model steering gear. We have a kit available to do this, you can give us a call or email if interested.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
The only way to truly fix the sensitive steering on the 06+ model years is to retrofit back to the older model steering gear. We have a kit available to do this, you can give us a call or email if interested.
Hi Jon,

I have an 05 on a 04 W22 chassis - is there an adjustment I can make to reduse the sensitivity - It seems a bit loose. I have no add on but am meticulous with my air pressures and wheel weights

Thanks

Preston

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Preston,

No adjustments to the steering gear but you could add shims to your front axle to increase your caster. We have found increasing caster from the factory 2-3 degrees to around 5-6 degrees to make a big difference.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
Hi Folks
New guy here. Just acquired a 2007 Tiffin gas MH on a Workhorse chassis. I've searched this forum looking for information on how to tighten the steering box if possible. The only thing I've found so far is a reference by Brazel to the fact WH changed the steering in 2007 which made highway feel less positive and I'm afraid I am a victim of that change. I've haven't taken possession yet as the dealer has a couple of items to fix. After my test drive, I was not satisfied with the highway steering and the salesman recommended the Truecenter steering control to improve it. I went along with that and have not driven it yet since that add on. I discovered that it had a Safe-T-plus I believe but went ahead with the Truecenter. It has a substantial rear track bar that appears to be OEM and some shims in evidence under the front springs. I will weigh it as soon as I take possession and adjust the tire pressure accordingly. The rears seem over inflated now. (about 115psi on my gauge). I previously have been towing a TT with a Ford excursion, which is notorious for wandering steering. From a Ford forum I learned we could judiciously adjust the steering box a little at time and make great improvement in the wanderlust. So, I was wondering if that might be possible on the Workhorse. I spoke with the suspension tech at the dealership and he thought it had some play in the steering wheel but without some specs. for tightening he would not attempt it. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Ben
BEN: WELCOME to iRV2 and the Workhorse forum. If the coach is in fact on a W-24, then I suspect you DO have one of the few built with the "sensitive" steering gearbox problem. As I understand it, simply replacing it with another gearbox with a less sensitive ratio isn't easily done (bolt pattern issue), so the "kit" Jon mentioned may be your only option. I think the kit actually reduces the gearing ratio to lessen "power".

Also, replacing the Saftey-plus dampener with a Tru-Center unit isn't going to make much difference, IMO, because about the only difference in them is the adjustment feature of the TC.

I do wish you good luck getting this coach under control, and again, WELCOME!
ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Jon
Thanks for the reply. I will contact you in the near future.

Visually I can see wedges under the front springs that I estimate are about 1/2 inch thick in the rear and about 1/8 inch thick in the front. Is that what you are referring to as the 2-3 degrees of factory caster?

Ben
Old 05-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ed

The sixth character in my vin # is an "A" which I found somewhere here should confirm it's a W 24. Is that correct?
Ben
Old 05-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Ed

The sixth character in my vin # is an "A" which I found somewhere here should confirm it's a W 24. Is that correct?
Ben
YES, it is. And, the tenth Vin character will confirm the WCC model year.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Tenth character is 7.

Ben
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Tenth character is 7.

Ben
It appears you have a 2007 W-24 chassis