RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Some very (very) basic questions

I have always depended on service centres to keep me on the road. I am going on an extended trip to Mexico so I want to do a couple of things myself before I go:

It had a recent oil and oil filter change ok there.

I want to check the air filter - where is it?

I have the gas filter conversion kit - where is the gas filter, can I put it on myself and what filter do I get from Walmart (or elsewhere).

How do I test my chassis battery - it is about 5-6 years old.

As you can see I am not a mechanic but I should be able to manage these few things.

Thanks for any help.

Bob & Dawne
2005 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
Workhorse Chassis

Bgillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgillies View Post

Thanks for any help.
Bob & Dawne
Workhorse Chassis
Bob & Dawne
For battery testing see: Battery Testing, Test Methods and Procedures

BTW...most auto parts stores, (Auto Zone, O'reilly's, Advanced Auto Parts, etc.), will "load test" your chassis battery for free.

I don't know the answers to your other questions,
Sorry.
Mel
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the air filter. It is likely in a black box near the battery.. Find the "Tuba" (the big black tube with some screen over it's mouth that air goes in) and follow it down to the underside, there you are.

The spare is in my basement (Well ok, you have to order it) .
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I want to check the air filter - where is it? Turn your wheels hard left and look up behind the passenger wheel. It has hard to find clips along the top and tabs that get inserted along the bottom. Stay away from the MASS Sensor that is in the tube after the filter unless you really know what you are doing.

I have the gas filter conversion kit - where is the gas filter, can I put it on myself and what filter do I get from Walmart (or elsewhere). You want to be sure there is no pressure in the system so if you are going to do it do not start the engine for 24 hours. Have plenty of rags on hand as there will be some gas spillage. It is located along the chassis rail on the drivers side. You have to get on your back behind the rear wheel and look up towards the outside.

How do I test my chassis battery - it is about 5-6 years old. Get it replaced before going to Mexico!

Here is a good reference point for DIY projects: Oemy's Web Site -
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgillies View Post
I have always depended on service centres to keep me on the road. I am going on an extended trip to Mexico so I want to do a couple of things myself before I go:

It had a recent oil and oil filter change ok there.

I want to check the air filter - where is it?

I have the gas filter conversion kit - where is the gas filter, can I put it on myself and what filter do I get from Walmart (or elsewhere).

As you can see I am not a mechanic but I should be able to manage these few things.

Thanks for any help.

Bob & Dawne
Workhorse Chassis
BOB: It is a LONG way from Sevierville, TN to Mexico, so you'll have plenty of USA travel to get things "right". How was the CG below Memphis?

Answers by ROCKY above are "almost" correct, except that the air filter box is in front of the passenger-side front tire. There are Three (3) clips on top, and be sure to put the bottom tabs back into their slots before trying to re-apply the clips. Its a dirty job, but you can do it.

Your gas filter adapter "kit" should have included a filter, and they are available at most any parts store. Use two wrenches-one to hold and one to turn.

I agree with Rocky's suggestion to replace a 5 YO chassis battery, or at least buy a spare and carry it with you.

Safe travels!
Ed
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #6

Thank you

Thank you for your thoughtful and very useful replies. This is a great resource and I appreciate your time and consideration.
Bgillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Rocky Larson said, Omey' s is a great site. He has picture of the fuel filter & even tells you what size wrenches to use. I just did mine. EASY.