Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm thinking I should carry spares. When or if the wires go bad, is it usually the same one or two? Is it the plugs that are closest to the driver? Do I need to buy a whole set of wires? If a wire goes bad, does it ruin the plug since it hasn't been firing? Since these will just be spares, and I hope I never need them, I'd rather not spend more money than necessary.
Does anyone know the part # for the fuel filter? Is this still strictly a dealer item or has anyone found an aftermarket fuel filter at an auto parts store that will work? I think I have the new style filter on the '04 P-32.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm thinking I should carry spares. When or if the wires go bad, is it usually the same one or two? Is it the plugs that are closest to the driver? Do I need to buy a whole set of wires? If a wire goes bad, does it ruin the plug since it hasn't been firing? Since these will just be spares, and I hope I never need them, I'd rather not spend more money than necessary.
Does anyone know the part # for the fuel filter? Is this still strictly a dealer item or has anyone found an aftermarket fuel filter at an auto parts store that will work? I think I have the new style filter on the '04 P-32.
Denver, Colorado
Old 01-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
If you are using stock wires there are plenty of spares just laying around for those of us that have gone to the Taylor wires.

The 04 and later fuel filters for the W series are Workhorse only and run $50 to $60 a pop. I made a mod to mine so I can use a $10 standard filter.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OEM Tech, is that an easy mod? Can anyone give me part #'s for the OEM filter, the $10 filter, or the Taylor or OEM #'s for the plug wires.
I just dropped the MH off at Burt Chevrolet, an 'authorized' WH svc. center. I tried to buy a filter for it and spark plug wires. She told me she has no way of knowing because they have to call WH, give them the VIN and WH tells them the part #'s. She said she could'nt do this today, because they are closed on Sat.
It should'nt be so difficult to get simple fuel filter and spark plug wires.
It would be nice if Driver or someone would post part #'s for Filters, plugs, wires especially if Workhorse is'nt using standard Chevy parts for their 8.1. "Workhorse" is not exactly a 'household or mfgr' name at auto parts stores or even Chevy dealers. I was especially disappoited that a Chevy dealer who is also WCC 'authorized' could'nt even tell me what fuel filter or plugs and wires the MH has.
I called WH and she gave me the part # for the fuel filter (W0004996) and W8000518 for the spark plugs but she said I have to go to a svc center Mon thru Fr. and they can call WH and they would give the svc center the part #'s for the plug wires.
I get the feeling WH does'nt want to make it easy for the owner to work on his MH.
Does any one have OEM WH parts 'in stock' in the Denver area or does any have an 'online' store where you can order WH OEM, filters, plugs and wires etc or OEM equivalent? Not just aftermarket glitter accesories. If not there sure seems like there could be market for that.
Denver, Colorado
Old 01-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
max49, Since the Workhorse engine is really a Chevy 8.1 engine, most parts (spark plugs/wires/fan belt) are available from the local auto parts house by looking up a 2003 GMC with the 8.1 engine.
The oil filter is a AC 1218 (one quart).
The fuel filter is only available from Workhorse unless you make the adapter to use the older filter.
Jack
Old 01-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max49, almost forgot, the spark plugs are AC #932, gapped at .045. The fan belt is a Kelly Springfield #1080K6 or Gates 25-061080.. The main thing is that the belt is 108" long. Jack
Old 01-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Husky Jack, I'm going to save this page to "my documents" on the laptop.
That's a great invention you made with the adapter to be able to use the readily available fuel filters. With about 3 times more gas running thru them per mile, I always changed my fuel filter every oil change on my Ford but since I got the WH, I have found that the filter is not only expensive but relatively very difficult to find. I guess it's another WH 'better ideas'.
Oh yea, and your recomendation for the spark plug wires is ?????....
So I will have this in my documents, Workhorse told me the fuel filter is WH# W0004996
She said the spark plugs were AC Delco # 41-983
Thanks again
Denver, Colorado
Old 01-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max49, the direct replacement plug is a AC 41-983 but in recent posts from Mike at Brazels Rv, his recommendation is the 41-932. He claims they work better, expecially when gapped at .045
I went with the Taylor 8.2mm Thunder Volt 50 wires from Summit racing, they were 50 ohms low resistance and cost about $62.00.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HuskyJack:
the direct replacement plug is a AC 41-983 but in recent posts from Mike at Brazels Rv, his recommendation is the 41-932. He claims they work better, expecially when gapped at .045
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
some more info...
41-983 is iridium
41-932 is platinum
parts_expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by parts_expert:
some more info...
41-983 is iridium
41-932 is platinum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by parts_expert:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HuskyJack:
the direct replacement plug is a AC 41-983 but in recent posts from Mike at Brazels Rv, his recommendation is the 41-932. He claims they work better, expecially when gapped at .045
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
some more info...
41-983 is iridium
41-932 is platinum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
=================================================
Good luck with finding the 41-932s. If you do find them, consider yourself
blessed..AC Delco doesn't make them anymore..all 41-932s are now old stock
on the shelves.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I am blessed as I recently purchased them at Advanced Auto Parts(formerly Western Auto) in KC Mo. I believe the replacement for these shows to be 41-993. The OEM's are the 983's.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #13

I have had nothing but trouble with my 03 workhorse chassis 8.1 the plug wires keep going bad and when i try to buy after market wires like taylor they are to short can some one give me some ideas the exaust manifolds get red hot
thanks Dean
gtxdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Exhaust manifolds should not get RED hot. If you see RED something is seriously wrong. Even when mine was burning plug wires it never got RED.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote