Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sparetire mount for Kodiak C5500

I have a 2007 Jayco Seneca 34SS it did not come with a spare tire or mount.
This is a 2006 Chev Kodiak C5500 chassis with the 6.6 D-Max/Allison drivetrain.
I have put together a spare rim and a used matching tire.
There is a spot behind the rear differential to put a spare but need to source
a mount. Can someone point me in the right direction, I have not had much luck with my online searching.
quadnkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

quadnkev: WELCOME to iRV2.com and the Workhorse forum. glad you joined and posted.

I doubt you will find a "source" for a "ready-made" spare carrier you seek...the market for such a device is just not big enough to interest a mass producer.

Since you have a "place" to put it, I'm thinking a business that sells / mounts trailer hitches may be willing to custom build and install what you need. Try your local yellow pages. Good luck , and again WELCOME.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check local welding shops. A welding shop in my area has built me a couple of custom parts for my MH.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
For the moment I will place the spare I have procured in the forward center bay
and strap down.
Since AAA-Plus RV will only change a tire or tow to a repair facility I want to be
able to have a spare changed out and be on my way.
The middle of Texas is a long way for getting anywhere or getting anything done
I figure.
I will make a hello in the introductions area, thought I had, been lurking a while...
quadnkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I know this post was from a 2011, but I just got a 2006 Seneca and was wondering the same thing about a spare. I called the local dealer and they told me that the 2006 Kodiak has three different wheels:
front
back inner
back outer
and they are not interchangeable.

When you got your spare to carry were you able to find something that fits in all three locations?
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #6

There is only one steel wheel for the C5500. It will fit in any location. You cannot put 2 aluminum wheels on the inner rear with a aluminum wheel on the outer. The thickness of 2 aluminum wheels will not leave enough stud length to properly install the lug nuts.
Get a steel wheel for your spare.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
There is only one steel wheel for the C5500. It will fit in any location. You cannot put 2 aluminum wheels on the inner rear with a aluminum wheel on the outer. The thickness of 2 aluminum wheels will not leave enough stud length to properly install the lug nuts.
Get a steel wheel for your spare.
That is good to hear, have you actually tried putting the spare on in all locations? and where do you carry it? I was thinking of hitting a junk yard for the wheel, but I think I found a decent price at Rickson Wheel. $189 with tire if I am reading the web site correct.

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #8

My spare came from the factory. It is mounted between frame rails. Just in front of trailer hitch. It has lift similar to a pickup, but heavier. I have used the spare on front and rear of MH. I have seen new wheels on EBAY for a little over $120 with shipping
Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why would you want to carry a spare? A cell phone solves the problem and less dead weight to carry. I dont care where you go, they have tire dealers. I know because I had to replace a couple of tires in the Yukon. Went sightseeing for a few days while they where shipped in but saw things we would have missed if not for the tires.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Why would you want to carry a spare? A cell phone solves the problem and less dead weight to carry. I dont care where you go, they have tire dealers. I know because I had to replace a couple of tires in the Yukon. Went sightseeing for a few days while they where shipped in but saw things we would have missed if not for the tires.
short answer, I am not retired and some times schedules need to be kept.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just carry an unmounted spare tire (suspended underneath all wrapped up) and let the road service mount it at the scene of the flat tire. Many others do the same. I don't want he added weight and expense of the extra wheel.