Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #1

Spark plug heat shields

I just finished installing Banks Torque Tube headers on my 1999 Itasca P32 with Chevy 7.4 litre engine.

If I don't re-install the spark plug metal heat shields, will that cause problems with the plug boots? I can keep the wires away from the headers but worry about the boots melting?

Thanks in advance...

azrider84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider84 View Post
I just finished installing Banks Torque Tube headers on my 1999 Itasca P32 with Chevy 7.4 litre engine.

If I don't re-install the spark plug metal heat shields, will that cause problems with the plug boots? I can keep the wires away from the headers but worry about the boots melting?

Thanks in advance...
Engine builders don't spend any more $ or time then they have to, put them on.

I had heat shield on my 3.9L Dodge. If they are hard to put in; up a little anti seize on them.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #3

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I put "header wrap" insulation on mine. No plug wire problems.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Put them on...
Old 03-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider84 View Post

Thanks in advance...
Why would you not?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #6

The factory wouldn't have put them on for nothing. If they don't fit the wires, use the wires that they fit. By the way every 454 that I've had was hard on wires and cap & rotor. Change the cap & rotor every 2 years, they get corroded inside and are very hard to clean up. I always used a brass terminal cap from Napa, but they still get a build up on them.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #7

So I drove it 130 miles without heat shields and after it cooled, looked at the plug wire boots and they looked fine with no melting or anything. But, to be on the safe side, I went to local parts store and they wanted $20 for 2. That would be $80 for a full set. Well, I went on eBay and found a set of 8 rated to 1200 degrees for 11 bucks shipped. Should be here in a couple of days. Here's the ad for them: BLACK 8PCS 1200 SPARK PLUG WIRE BOOTS HEAT SHIELD PROTECTOR SLEEVE SBC BBC

I'll post whether they work or not...
azrider84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #8

GM heat shields...

Taylor boot covers

Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have an 8.1 that has had Taylor plug wires already installed before I got it last March. The fiberglass boots are on them but they also have splayed aluminum shields around the insulators that keep heat from the exhaust manifolds away from them. I assume they are a GM item but one on #7 is missing. No web searches have found a source of them to replace the missing one. Any hints for replacements? I discovered it when I replaced my plugs. I went with AC 41-101 iridium instead of the original 41-983 platinum. I also gapped them at .045 instead of .060. I will find out next week if it gains any performance. It had started getting lazy climbing hills. I also changed the fuel filter. I also have to replace the heat shield on the driver's exhaust manifold as it had corroded around the bolts and was just barely hanging on one of them.

Don't tell me I can't do it, just tell me it won't be easy.
vacationer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer04 View Post
I have an 8.1 that has had Taylor plug wires already installed before I got it last March. The fiberglass boots are on them but they also have splayed aluminum shields around the insulators that keep heat from the exhaust manifolds away from them. I assume they are a GM item but one on #7 is missing. No web searches have found a source of them to replace the missing one. Any hints for replacements? I discovered it when I replaced my plugs. I went with AC 41-101 iridium instead of the original 41-983 platinum. I also gapped them at .045 instead of .060. I will find out next week if it gains any performance. It had started getting lazy climbing hills. I also changed the fuel filter. I also have to replace the heat shield on the driver's exhaust manifold as it had corroded around the bolts and was just barely hanging on one of them.
Rockauto had the heat sheilds.... Plugs & wires will NOT give you any performance gain per se.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:02 PM   #11

there are better products out there like Titanium socks for the boots if you have headers. Stock plug shields for my 89 454 don't work with my Hedman headers.

Tags
heat