Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

Spark Plug Wires

I have spark plug wires on my purchase list for over the winter and have been looking at the Ultraproducts wires and the Taylor TV50's. I don't expect any performance difference between the two but am looking at overall quality and longevity and how they hold up to heat. I plan on doing this along with the spark plug change. Anyone got any insight? I have read all the threads I could find on wires.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How many miles do you have on the current wires? Have you had a problem with burning them? I think Oem performance(aka Oemy) did a comparison on ohms per foot. Dale seems pretty knowledgeable and I have used a lot of his tips. Check out the new Accel wires at Summit racing, they look pretty stout.
gunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #3

I think they are originals so 50K miles. I don't have any service history on this part of the coach so new plugs and wires will give me a new baseline and won't hurt. Probably change the belt as well since a belt failure is not something I want to deal with on the road and it can cause other damage depending on how it fails.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree, you might want to change the tensioner pulley while you are at it just as a matter of maintenance. If the the originals gave you 50k and you don't have a problem with wire burning, you might want to just stay with what works. The after market wires look pretty, and you pay for that. I am a gear head and am always looking to upgrade when replace a part, but have never noticed a performance gain off wires. I think the Taylors have a solid spiral wound core which is good. I would definately get the socks to go over them just as a precaution. My delco wires went 37k and I replaced them due to a back fire that was related to a broken coil wire. I was sheepish after reading all the burnt wire problems on this forum, and changed them in my hunt for my "ghost". Wires are in my maintenance box for back up. I went with Taylors, and the blue wires look pretty when you open the hatch, but most of us don't show off our engines when we get to the camp grounds! I enjoy doing my own maintenance as I can dream of our next adventure, and get my body familiar with the angles needed to access parts while at home. Makes a big difference if you break down and have to fix something under stress.
gunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the original wires have lasted 50k miles without a problem, why would you want to go to an aftermarket performance wire set? Some of these "performance wires" don't have a very good track record, as well as being expensive. I have 52K trouble free miles on my oem wires, and intend to replace with a like set, or equivalent, when I change the spark plugs. The plugs are also original.

I would agree that the serpentine belt should be replaced as a preventative measure. You might also want to consider replacement of the belt tension idler pully when replacing the belt.