Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spark plug wires

i have a 2005 32v southwind with 1oooo miles. workhorse w20 8.1 engine. has any one had any trouble burning spark plug wires on this model? planning a trip out west in july and will be climging some sreep grades . haven't had any problems so far .
mabry
Mabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you haven't had any problems yet, don't worry about it. Some models do and some don't. I have a '04 Pace Arrow w/ the 8.1 and have driven it during some pretty hot weather, especially last summer. Have not experienced any spark plug wire problems. Did replace the fan clutch during a trip from Colorado to Oregon last July.

About the only thing you could do is have a spare set along with you. The only spare I carry is an extra V-belt.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabry View Post
... haven't had any problems so far ...
Mabry, I don't think I can say it any better than what Bob did. If you haven't had any problems and now having achieved 10,000 miles it is unlikely that you will have any problems with your wires.

I ticked off 25 to 30,000 miles before I upgraded my spark plug wires to Taylor Extremes. I did not have to install the Taylors however the properties of the wires make it a good investment over the stock units.

The upgraded wires are available from our sponsors Redlands and Brazels.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a known issue with Workhorse and burned spark plug wires, However evidence suggests to me it is NOT a Workhorse issue but a house problem... That is some Coach manufacturers do a proper job of venting the engine compartment and as a result the plug wires stay properly cool and calm and do not burn

Other coach makers restrict the air flow over the wires causing them to overheat

If you have 10K miles on your rig and no problems.. Odds are very good you will get to 100K and still have no problems.. at 100K you should be replacing wires anyway due to age (If you have not already done that) and going with high quality wires is always a good idea.

Oh, another "Workhorse" problem is water ingestion, The rig sucks water in via the air intake or "Tuba" Again, though Workhorse will assist you in resolving this problem... The fact is again, Some manufacturers seem to have the greater problem and others never seem to do this. This leads me to think it's a Coach maker issue.

I seem to have gotten lucky.. I have made two trips cross country (All the way to California and back) Driven in Rain, snow and other bad weather, Never burned a wire or sucked water (that I can tell) and only had one tank of bad gas.

Or perhaps Damon built mine right.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #5

I read about some problems, and I camped next to a '04 WH owner who had experienced burned wires. I replaced my stock wires with Taylors, but the OEM wires tested OK, so my coach had adequate cooling. The OEM spark plugs burned cold, however, so I think the change to 993 plugs was in order.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
You should be OK. Mine had the first burnt wire at about 600 miles and the next shortly after. They finally installed the Vent Kit and I now have 30,000 miles and have been all over the country with no more problems.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
You should be OK. Mine had the first burnt wire at about 600 miles and the next shortly after. They finally installed the Vent Kit and I now have 30,000 miles and have been all over the country with no more problems.
that is encouraging to me as I now have 10,000 miles and no problems with wires or plugs. ONly problem is the dash air won't start after 3 months of winter lay up.
This coach came with 1/4 in thick rubber around the cooling system out to the side walls probably to deflect all the air through the cooling system however it has now mostly disintegrated into small pieces and broken off. I hope this isn't going to be a problem.
Bebop in SanJose 2004 Rexair BSL3250 workhorse w22
Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
You may want read the write ups on Plugs & Wires on my Free Tech Tips site.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEBOP View Post
This coach came with 1/4 in thick rubber around the cooling system out to the side walls probably to deflect all the air through the cooling system however it has now mostly disintegrated into small pieces and broken off. I hope this isn't going to be a problem.
BeBop, It doesn't have to be a problem. The material can be ordered from Workhorse parts and installed in its original positions. I would encourage you to restore those fabrics that failed. Cooling is everything.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I am glad for the others who have not experienced a burned spark plug wire after 10 or 15,000 miles, my Southwind burned two plug wires at 20,000 miles. I was lucky that it was still in warranty and Mike installed in the vent kit up in Centralia. It can happen later on is all I am saying. You may notice it as a decline in mpg, loss of power before anything more drastic.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Although I haven't had any problems with the OEM wires and plugs (24,000 mi.), I had them replaced with Taylor Extreme wires and 41-993 plugs. Had Keith's "pro" techs install them for me at, Redlands Truck and RV Performance Center. Have increased a few hp and torque - nice.

Ed
Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Go to my Free Tech Tips Web site for more info.

Here is Oemy's version... Taylor TV 50' and Orange Heat Shields.

Here are the old style Taylor 409's Extremes with the Silver Heat Shields.

Here is the new style Taylor 409's with the Silver Heat Shields

Here is a standard Taylor 409's and a set of AC Delco 41-993's

Old 04-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky 2 View Post
While I am glad for the others who have not experienced a burned spark plug wire after 10 or 15,000 miles, my Southwind burned two plug wires at 20,000 miles. I was lucky that it was still in warranty and Mike installed in the vent kit up in Centralia. It can happen later on is all I am saying. You may notice it as a decline in mpg, loss of power before anything more drastic.
I have been exp a low mpg for awhile now and am wondering if I have a burnt or broken wire. Is there a way to tell. I understand they might break If I try to pull them off.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
I have been exp a low mpg for awhile now and am wondering if I have a burnt or broken wire. Is there a way to tell. I understand they might break If I try to pull them off.
jdsr, You will feel a miss in the engine most likely. The MPGs will drop off and yes they will most likely break when you take off the wire.

That said, if you give them a slight tug, they should stay in place on the plug. It has often been observed that a wire will be seen just hanging there and that's going to be a problem.