Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speed Bleeders

I am on a list at a Workhorse Service Center to have the recall on my brakes completed. I recently ordered and received a set of speed bleeders and I thought I could have the center install them as they install the new calipers. To my surprise the service manager told me that Workhorse would not stand behind the calipers if they modified them in any way. He said the bleeders come with the calipers and the speed bleeders would be a modification. Has anyone else experience this problem? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardrky View Post
He said the bleeders come with the calipers and the speed bleeders would be a modification. Has anyone else experience this problem? Thanks
No. That's just the dealer being anal. I had Speed Bleeders installed on my calipers.

Now that said, you are still going to have to go under the vehicle to crack the bleeder "so" just swap them out yourself. There won't be any problem replacing the bleeders since they will gravity bleed until you secure the Speed Bleeder.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
To my surprise the service manager told me that Workhorse would not stand behind the calipers if they modified them in any way. He said the bleeders come with the calipers and the speed bleeders would be a modification. Has anyone else experience this problem? Thanks
This guy is blowing SMOKE.... Ask for it in writing and see what he says.

Better yet ask him what the cost is to flush and bleed the brakes. Then tell him that your cost to do the same job is $49 and it includes 3 qts of Wal Mart's best DOT3 brake fluid and a set of Speed Bleeders. The next time it will only cost about $12 for the fluid and 30 mins of your time.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will the speed bleeders fit the calipers on my UFO chassis? I am getting quotes of $200 and up to change the brake fluid so I want to do it myself.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

I don't think so... The UFO uses a different caliper. Just do the 2 man method.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have just spoken with the service manager at Cummins in Evansville, IN. He said that he contacted Workhorse technical support and they told him "absolutely not". He could not install the speed bleeders. So, it is not the service center but Workhorse that is being "anal". Whu oh why is Workhorse so difficult to work with!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
He could not install the speed bleeders. So, it is not the service center but Workhorse that is being "anal". Whu oh why is Workhorse so difficult to work with!
This is a "Fedeally mandated recall" and when the vehilce leaves the service center it must conform to the letter of the law. Workhorse, the company, is not going to do anything that is not written in the Service Bulletin that NHTSA signed off on including installing an aftermarket "Speed Bleeder."

What if the aftermarket Speed Bleeder fails and compromises the performance of the brakes? Exactly who is on the hook for that?

51101-C Bosch Brake Caliper Service Bulletin.pdf

Your expereince may varry.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
What if the aftermarket Speed Bleeder fails and compromises the performance of the brakes? Exactly who is on the hook for that?
Give me a break... This sounds like the Fuel Filter Adapter argument.

You could "What If" us to death.

I assume that you will remove the Speed Bleeders from your brakes to comply with Workhorse's legal team.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Give me a break... This sounds like the Fuel Filter Adapter argument.
Dale, I respectfully would request that you would offer me a small amount of leniency in this matter "because" the fuel filter or the adapter nor any part of the fuel system was not under the observation of the Federal government and not subject to a recall. When if ever have you seen during the remedy phase of a Federal Recall that aftermarket parts could be installed on a vehicle in accordance with the technical requirements prior to the delivery of the vehicle?

Zero, None, Zip, Nada, Zilch

Answer the question ???? Who assumes the liability IF a Speed Bleeder fails if installed before the vehicle is released to the customer subsequent to the recall? Pick your option:

Workhorse
Bosch
NHTSA
The Service Center
Speed Bleeders
The SB Vendor
"All of the above"

Some one is going to go down if the vehicle leaves the dealer and the driver gets into a wreck and it is found that the SB or any other aftermarket part including and not limited to, ceramic brake pads, drilled and slotted rotors, aftermarket brake hoses, non standard brake fluid or any other non-installed Workhorse/Bosch part was at fault.

Quote:
You could "What If" us to death.
That's a little below the belt. You know I'm right. The requirement is to deliver the vehicle to the customer according to the TSB/Recall without installing after market parts.

Quote:
I assume that you will remove the Speed Bleeders from your brakes to comply with Workhorse's legal team.
Again not a fair question since you know the answer BUT No I will not! ... and it's not so much the Workhorse Legal Team that is of concern BUT the Federal Legal Team. This is their recall. Read paragraph #1 in the recall letter.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #10

First of all this is not personal.... You represent Workhorse Custom Chassis and as such the statements you make are "assumed" to those of WCC unless you express other wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Dale, I respectfully would request that you would offer me a small amount of leniency in this matter "because" the fuel filter or the adapter nor any part of the fuel system was not under the observation of the Federal government and not subject to a recall. When if ever have you seen during the remedy phase of a Federal Recall that aftermarket parts could be installed on a vehicle in accordance with the technical requirements prior to the delivery of the vehicle?
Ok... But, there was a lot verbiage about safety, extra openings, VOIDED WARRANTY etc. I ran my DIY version for 2 years with no problems. I have prototype #1 on my coach and it is going 3 years. Prototype #2 is in my Oemy's parts kit and prototype # 3 is on Glenn's coach. Of all of the adapters sold how many have failed when properly installed.

Zero, None, Zip, Nada, Zilch

Quote:
Answer the question ???? Who assumes the liability IF a Speed Bleeder fails if installed before the vehicle is released to the customer subsequent to the recall?
I will give that one... But, once the coach is off the property the owner can do anything he/she wants...

Quote:
That's a little below the belt. You know I'm right. The requirement is to deliver the vehicle to the customer according to the TSB/Recall without installing after market parts.
Don't take it personal... If I changed it to We or They it does not change a thing. Anything possible but what is the likelihood of it happening.

Quote:
Again not a fair question since you know the answer BUT No I will not! ... and it's not so much the Workhorse Legal Team that is of concern BUT the Federal Legal Team. This is their recall. Read paragraph #1 in the recall letter.
I think it is a fair question... You can't have it both ways...
Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
First of all this is not personal.... You represent Workhorse Custom Chassis and as such the statements you make are "assumed" to those of WCC unless you express other wise.
I do not make any claims that are already not in print in the public domain. If I repeat something, it's not me that's saying it. I'm just the messenger and I know you Texas cow pokes are a little quick on the draw.

Quote:
but, there was a lot verbiage about safety, extra openings, VOIDED WARRANTY etc. I ran my DIY version for 2 years with no problems. I have prototype #1 on my coach and it is going 3 years. Prototype #2 is in my Oemy's parts kit and prototype # 3 is on Glenn's coach. Of all of the adapter sold how many have failed when properly installed.
Dale, The entire previous paragraph does not apply to the Bosch brake recall.

Quote:
give that one... But, once the coach is off the property the owner can do anything he/she wants...
There ya go! Brilliant suggestion! Take delivery of the coach, drive it around the block, come back and have the dealer do what ever you want him to and they should be able to do the work legally.

Quote:
Don't take it personal... If I changed it to We or They it does not change a thing. Anything possible but what is the likelihood of it happening.
That's what they said about Pearl Harbor, Apollo 13, the Thresher and the Challenger.

Quote:
I think it is a fair question... You can't have it both ways...
What an individual owner chooses to do to their vehicle is up to them. Nobody is going to stop that from happening.

What folks need to know is that Workhorse has every right to tell owners that they will not install after market components during the remedy phase of he recall.