Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2004, 05:12 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had my IP cluster replaced twice in the past 2 months.

Now and with the first replacement, I noticed that the speedometer needle takes almost 5 seconds to return to zero after I have come to a complete stand still. I can't recall if the original IP did this.

Is this something others notice? Maybe it is normal for this design and I just didn't notice it before I started having IP troubles?

Marty
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2004, 05:12 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Now and with the first replacement, I noticed that the speedometer needle takes almost 5 seconds to return to zero after I have come to a complete stand still. I can't recall if the original IP did this.

Is this something others notice? Maybe it is normal for this design and I just didn't notice it before I started having IP troubles?

Marty
Old 12-04-2004, 04:19 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2004 W22 is in hibernation until we head to Florida in a couple of months. I do not recall mine acting this way. I'm on my 2nd instrument cluster. I sure wish Workhorse would provide an update for its customers on the instrument cluster issue. And, due to the extremely high failure rate of these, are they going to replace these under warranty when our normal warranty runs out???????

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:09 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't noticed mine doing that, and since I used to design electronic speedos I think I would have.
We will be moving farther south tommorow and I will check it out and let you know what I see.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:53 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clay L: You designed electric speedos, I was the Senior Applications Engineer for the leading semiconductor manufacturer of "Hall-Effect" sensors. To my knowledge nearly 100% of todays speedo use a Hall-Effect based module on/in the transmission to generate the speed signal. Not sure if we ever talked business or not.

UltraPower ECM Program
Old 12-08-2004, 05:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Gilbert:
Not sure if we ever talked business or not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Cool! A focus group! We do it all...
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:30 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M&MHome2:

Additional info:
Took the MH out twice in past two weeks once without a wrangler in tow. ABS light comes on with tone signal during faster then normal acceleration from standstill. Then goes off after 3 or 4 seconds. While towing Wrangler, it takes more effort to get the ABS light on due to heavier load but I can make it happen then too..Wonder if same speed sensor is common to speedometer and ABS.

Marty <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
M&MHome2: The ABS system uses wheel speed sensors. I've never looked for these on my W22 however, in general you can see these on the inside of each hub and the sensor consists of a sloted disk (gear like) with a sensor looking at the slots or teeth. The sensor provides a signal for each passing tooth. Each sensor output goes to the ABS computer which compairs wheel speeds and decides how best to apply (or not apply) each break. I doubt the IC affects ABS function but don't really know.

If you have an ABS problem it is likly a sensor problem (though these are extremely reliable). Bring you RV to your dealer if you really have an ABS issue.

UltraPower ECM Program
Old 12-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Joe,
MH is at dealer now and will be tested for ABS codes etc. Just a thought.. that both need to sense wheel speeds and maybe shared common input from one of the wheels.

Marty
Old 12-08-2004, 07:21 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
M&MHome2

Took a look at my speedo on the trip down to Quartzite and it returns to zero in tune with the actual speed.
In answer to another of your questions, I believe the speed sensor is on the transmission and is independent of the ABS system.
It is possible that there is some sort of interaction though since so much stuff is now interrelated via the databus used by much of the electronics.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe Gilbert
Joe,
I was Chief Engineer for the Dixson Inc Heavy Duty Division. I designed the HD5 series of instuments. I investigated using hall effect devices, but at the time magnetic sensors won out.
It's sure possible we talked if you were around back in the dark ages (70s/80s).
Old 12-10-2004, 08:50 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clay L: I was around. I worked 40 years for Sprague Electric Co, which became Allegro Micro Systems. Allegro has the best Hall-Effect technology and has much of the worlds Automotive business. Their Gear-tooth sensors are used for ignition and cam timing for many engines and Hall Sensors are used in most speed sensors. These are all solid-state, magnetic sensors. Also, if you own almost any brand Flip-Phone the switch which senses when you open the "flip" is an Allegro Hall-Effect sensor. They were shipping about 1 million of these per week into the cell-phone industry when I retired nearly three years ago.

UltraPower ECM Program
Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diagnosis for ABS light issue was speed sensor in one of rear wheels and a problem with ABS cpu. Parts had to be ordered.

I thought there was only one rear sensor located in the diff housing???

Speedometer issue needs to be addressed with weirdness update recal when it becomes active.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:50 AM   #14

your problem may not be the same as the I had. my motorhome is a 1993 bounder on a w22. My speeddometer pointer was sticking when we first got . After I lot of shearing around it turned ut to be the face plate was touching the pointer. A couple of shims on the screws holding the plate and it stoped. I checked it by putting a sucktion cup on the plate anf pulled it out while driving.
having fun down is offline   Reply With Quote