Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Driver or 007. I just read an article that said if I have noisey brakes to pour maple syrup on them and it will cure the squeeks? Seems to me it would cure the brakes also? Don't you think that would be a mistake?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Driver or 007. I just read an article that said if I have noisey brakes to pour maple syrup on them and it will cure the squeeks? Seems to me it would cure the brakes also? Don't you think that would be a mistake?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't you think that would be a mistake? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NOT if you wanted to attract a LOT of ants! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Where did you hear that one? I going to write a book on all these cures and fixes.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think my Workhorse W-22 brakes are made from maple syrup. Had left front caliper hang up before the recall. Had right rear hang up during recall, was given a bit of a hard time because it was more than 3 years old. Just had right front hang up on the way to Lazy Days Rally park. Feels like I am rotating tires, left front to right rear to right front. Is the left rear going to go next. DW thinks we really should have opted for the Ford Chassis.

2002 Dolphin 5356
erpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">was given a bit of a hard time because it was more than 3 years old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't say WHO gave you a hard time, but there is no time limit when the problem is subject to a recall campaign. If your WCC chassis was involved in the ZOPS issue, then WCC would have inspected and repaired/replaced any defective parts, if you took it in to a service center. Were you subject to the recall?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dengraham:
I just read an article that said if I have noisy brakes to pour maple syrup on them and it will cure the squeaks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I can't comment on that article since I haven't read it but suffice it to say that your rotors and pads should be kept clean from outside contaminants including and not limited to maple syrup.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by erpa:
Is the left rear going to go next? DW thinks we really should have opted for the Ford Chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We often hear of the ZOPS Bosch Brake Campaign being accomplished in stages or sometime not properly at all. I have to say that if your still having problems with your brakes you may want to consider a 2nd dealership perhaps Turning Wheel RV in Plant City if you're close by. Sorry to hear about your brake problems but about that let me say this.

Last Sunday we were coming home from Ocean Lakes here in Myrtle Beach and my DW was in front driving the toad when some person without brake lights just suddenly came to a stop to make a right turn. Well DW got hard on her brakes and I had to get on mine. Although a lot of stuff in our cabinets was plastered up against the forward bulkheads and the mattress was askew on the bed frame my motorhome came to a full and complete stop in I believe a record distance because I didn't even come close. It startled me but the motorhome came to a controlled stop in a distance shorter than I would have ever given it credit for.

The ZOHT brakes that are currently installed that replaced the ZOPS units work extremely well. The only other system that would work better than that would be the quad-hydraulic brakes on the W-24.

About your DW you may want to suggest to her that although the brakes on your Workhorse may be giving you fits that the option she might be suggesting is even worse.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
okay, the quote is from the VIP Insider magazine written for people with Good Seem Insurance:
"Did you know?
Have you ever been annoyed by the sound of squeaky brakes? It's a common problems that has a very easy and effective solution. Just grease the bakes with a little maple syrup and the squeaks will disappear."
I am so perplexed at the idea that I was trying to find out if it is true.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:36 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">magazine written for people with Good Seem Insurance: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am absolutely AMAZED that an insurance company would (even remotely) endorse any practice that would "grease the brakes". Maybe their claims adjusters don't have enough to do??? ED (amazed!)
Old 03-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver.
Thanks. The first break repair B4 recall was done by Chevy dealer in Dade city back in 11/03. MH was towed there from Lakeland (NRV Repair Center where I was having some work done).
The second time I had a problem was back in 12/04 and MH was towed to Bill Shultz Chevrolet in Ft. Pierce. MH's right rear brake caliper hung up coming back from Lk.O and we were in our driveway when I moticed it. Wasn,t as bad as first time. The ABS light didn't come on that time. The brakes didn't heat up enough to burn the sensor.
This time the ABS light came on again as we were near our destination (Lazy Days Rally park).I thought rather than being towed to Plant City I would have it taken care of right here. Hopefully it will be done right and we won't have any more problems. It has reached the point were I hesitate going anywhere with it. Wondering when will the next problem occur.
The WH person on the phone when I called about the repair in 12/04(Recall) was the one who basically gave me a hard time about the repair under the recall, also gave me a difficult time about the towing fee. He came back after discussing it with someone else and agreed that all would be taken care of.
As for the Ford, we had an F-53 on our previous MH and although the WH rides much nicer and has more power, we never did have any problems with it. As a matter of fact in all the years driving many hundred thousand miles, I've never had any problems with brakes like we have encountered with the WH chassis.Never once did we ever have any calipers lock up on us.
I wonder how many WH owners have had problems B4, during and after the recall. Since we were part of the reason for the recall (problem B4 the recall), I start to wonder if the fix was the proper one since we have encountered the same problem after all was supposed to be fixed.

Guess this one will probably cost us MUCHO DINERO , because the paper work indicates that the recall work was done.

Ps. I agree the brakes are great when they aren't broken!!!

2002 Dolphin 5356
erpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:54 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dengraham:
okay, the quote is from the VIP Insider magazine written for people with Good Seem Insurance:
"Did you know?
Have you ever been annoyed by the sound of squeaky brakes? It's a common problems that has a very easy and effective solution. Just grease the bakes with a little maple syrup and the squeaks will disappear."
I am so perplexed at the idea that I was trying to find out if it is true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dennis,

If they are talking about drum brakes maybe a little carmalized maple syrup between the shoes and backing plate could help reduce the little squeeks caused by the shoes rubbing against them however keeping them properly adjusted and maintained will do that also.

As for doing this on a disk brake I can only see it causing the calipers to stick and lead to premature failure. Disk brake quite applied to the back of the pads along with the correct silicone grease applied to the slides and guide pins works very well and when properly applied will extend the life of your brake pads.

It may be true but it would be inadvisable.

I know that if someone hit me or any of mine because they had brake failure due to the application of maple syrup to the brakes, I would seriously consider sueing them and the person that told them to do so.

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #13

The Affinity group (camping world, goodsams, ect...) has probably just bought out a maple syrup company and this is an attempt to move product
Old 03-31-2006, 05:20 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by erpa:

Guess this one will probably cost us MUCHO DINERO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eric

I spoke to Mike "DriVer" last night about your brake situation.

You might want to go to Turning Wheel RV in Ocala (352"¢368"¢6645 ) or in Plant City (813"¢752"¢6814). Try calling the Orlando dealership and ask for Armando. Mike said Armando will tell you where to go and what you need to do. Tell him you got his number from Mike Pelchat.

Good luck.

Eric,