Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Starting Problems

Hi, I have mysterious problem that I can’t find the solution and need help. My 2004 Adventurer 35U had a starting .problem. Even though I have a 50 amp drop that I installed a year ago to keep the coach plugged in.
When Irma hit we got the coach ready and took off to avoid it. On the road I started having starting problems, But was able to make it back home. I checked the starting battery and it was toast. So I purchased two new house batteries and the engine battery. Now that the hurricane season is upon us I decided to get the coach ready just in case. Tried to start the coach but all that happened was could hear the solenoid click and all thje dash lights would dim. So I decided it must be a faulty starter. Put some blocks under the front leveling jacks the get room to work and jacked up the front. Got starter out and took it to Autozone to check it out and it failed all the tests. But they had the starter in stock for my 8.1 engine. Purchased and installed it. Now when I try to start I get nothing, no dash lights, no click, Nothing! Does anyone have any ideas.
Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #2

Perhaps I'm missing something in your post, but it seems to me you are assuming that just because you bought a new chassis battery a while back, IT can't be the source of your current non-start problem. Also, IMO, you shouldn't assume that just because you keep the coach plugged in the chassis battery will stay charged. MANY coaches don't do that, and even IF yours does, it is possible the converter is overcharging the chassis battery and that can ruin a new battery if done over a long period of time. I'm suggesting you have the "new" chassis battery load tested before looking for another culprit.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
in my post i did not mention the house batteries having any problem, all of the interior appliances including slides. so i not talking about house batteries just the engine battery and starter
Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Chassis battery is what you are calling an engine battery.
Ed said to check your chassis/engine battery because many coaches do not charge the chassis/engine battery when plugged in - my does not.
An easy check with a voltmeter - when plugged in the house batteries and chassis batteries will be between 14 and 13.2V if they are being charged. If 12.5 to 11.5V they are not being charged.

Rough Battery health status with no load: 12.5V fully charged, 12V is 1/2 charge, 11.5V is dead. Below 11.5V and a cell is bad within the battery.

Most coached have an aux start switch that will cross connect the house and chassis batteries - after verifying the battery voltages as I mentioned above, using this is an easy way to eliminate the battery as the culpert.

If the battery is good, you might start here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/stran...ch-284988.html
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #5

Look at the battery cable on the starter.

There may be a 10 gauge or so wire that got left off. That would be your power wire to the dash and fuses.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyes View Post
in my post i did not mention the house batteries having any problem, all of the interior appliances including slides. so i not talking about house batteries just the engine battery and starter
Everything I wrote pertains to your chassis (engine) battery.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

As stated above, many units do not charge the chassis battery when hooked to shore power. The answer is to hook up a trickle charger to the chassis battery through the converter.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20128.../dp/B000CQFWLY

Install a cutoff switch like this on your engine battery.

My coach does not charge the engine battery when plugged into shore power and the engine battery will run down after about two weeks of non use.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems