RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I was able to pick up a set off a fellow RVer that was moving up to a W24... he said the W22 version does not fit the W24.

What I need is the install instructions to verify my installation. Any one got a copy that they can scan and email me or copy and mail them to me? I tried the 800 number and got no answer. I also tried their email option and it failed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 AM   #2

I was able to pick up a set off a fellow RVer that was moving up to a W24... he said the W22 version does not fit the W24.

What I need is the install instructions to verify my installation. Any one got a copy that they can scan and email me or copy and mail them to me? I tried the 800 number and got no answer. I also tried their email option and it failed.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 AM   #3

I suggest you go to the Steer Safe web site. You will be able to get what you need there.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:37 PM   #4

In 3 days nobody has answered the 800 number.... all I get after 6 rings is a msg, "the machine is off". The web site is worthless... the contact us email mail fails with a smtp mail error. I have even tried a external email address that I found in a brochure and so far no answer on that.

So much for customer service!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Dale,

Sent you an email...Happy Thanksgiving...

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:56 AM   #6

I just tried the Steer Safe site worked fine.
http://www.steersafe.com
2010 Ford Flex
Old 11-24-2005, 05:13 AM   #7

rvten,

I don't have a problem getting to the site... The problem is there is nothing there that can help me. I tried the email function under "Contact US" and it fails with a SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) error. Also, they don't answer the 800 number that I have called multilple times over the last 3 days. Lastly there are no install files or info posted. Needles to say I am not impressed with their customer service.

I am a pretty fair shade tree mechanic (I designed, fabricated and installed my own Rear Trac Bar) and I can figure out the proper installation. But, I know from experience that the small things create large problems. Therefore I want make sure that I have done it correctly to factory specs.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may find that they have closed fro the week with it being a holiday. I'd try them again on Monday.

Ken
Old 11-24-2005, 05:29 AM   #9

Maybe shut down the Thanksgiving week? I would send them an e-mail. Ask for instruction sheet.
They have always been very helpful before.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 11-24-2005, 01:36 PM   #10

Ok... I will try Monday and report back.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:44 PM   #11

I installed the Steer Safe today after a phone call to my Texas Boomers buddy Hamie... He read the factory instructions to me over the phone.

Other than having the front wheels straight it was pretty much as I expected. One tip... there is a right way and wrong way to mount the axle bracket. The 2 clamps can be mounted upside down if you are not careful. One of the tabs is lightly longer than the other,
Old 11-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #12

Well once again my shoe does not taste all that good (foot in mouth). It seems I owe Steer Safe an apology. They just failed to update the phone msg to indicate they were close for Turkey day week. That being said, here is what I found out.

I talked with Mike (tech guy) at Steer Safe and he gave me all the necessary info on the IHC-800W kit. I called WHCC to validate the info Mike gave me to make sure that the kit would fit.

1) All W22 chassis (not model year) made up to about Apr of 04 will have the 48 degree steering cut. This means that all IHC_800W kits should interchange.
2) Apr 04 and later W22's with 50 degree steering cut take a different kit.
3) The W24's take different kit than the W22's due to a larger caliper.

The bottom line is be careful if you buy used. Make sure it will fit before you buy.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:00 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed Steer Safe prior to a MD to TX to NM to CO & back and I did not think it helped one bit. Still felt significant truck "blast" and still needed constant steering wheel "correcion."

Yes, my algnment is correct. From what I read here, the rear traction bar would have been a much better investment.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #14

Hummm... I don't think Steer Safe, Safeti+ or any other such add on will do much for truck blast. The real problem here is the difference in air pressure that is created when a big rig goes by. This forces the coach (the box on the frame) to move and the axles play catchup. The rear trac bar will help a bunch on most rigs. On some the front trac bar does the same job. It will vary depending on wheel base, coach size, weight, tire pressure, alignment and so on.

We are about to head out on a Texas Boomer Xmas rally, so I will have about 3 hr test drive to see if Steer Safe has any effect over my DIY rear Trac Bar. I will report back probably no later than Monday.