Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #1

steering play

Hi
Is there any way to adj. The free play in an 07 workhorse steering gear box
Thanks for any you can offer.
Gordon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Have you checked for worn out tie rod ends and idler arm joints, bushings? When worn they often create sloppy steering.

I don't know what gearbox you have, but these are general instructions: Raise the front axle off the ground and set the wheel in the straight ahead position. If you can turn the wheel more an an inch before the wheels move, it might need adjustment. On the steering box you should see a slotted or allen wrench threaded rod with a lock nut. Using the appropriate tool, keep the shaft from turning as you loosen the lock nut. Then turn the shaft clockwise (tighten) 1/4th a turn, and tighten lock nut. Drive and turn left and right, make sure there's no binding or tightness. If it still has play, repeat above. Never turn more than 1/4th a turn at a time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The locknut maybe left hand thread. Clockwise to loosen. Mine was on my 2002 P32 chassis.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 110K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Something to keep in mind before doing steering adjustments is your Caster setting. Your caster may have come from WH with a 3.5 degree setting and WH started authorizing a 5 to 5.5 degree setting. With 3.5 you may experience what I call "Bird Dogging" or wandering.
A 5 to 5.5 degree setting will/can solve a whole bunch of handling concerns and save a whole lotta bucks by avoiding some unnecessary steering add-ons.
I would bet that is your problem, IF you haven't already checked it. I assume you have ruled out tire pressure.

Just another thought.

Pat
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never attempt to adjust your steering box unless you have the proper knowledge and ability! An 07 should not have a worn steering gear so check all connecting point first with the engine running.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
Never attempt to adjust your steering box unless you have the proper knowledge and ability! An 07 should not have a worn steering gear so check all connecting point first with the engine running.

Amen
Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #7

steering play

The play is the gear box you can rotate the u joint on top by hand. I don't want to fix it my self. I looking for a shop to do it
Thanks
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The engine should be running when you check for play in the steering gear box. An 07 shouldn't have this problem but it could if it has a lot of miles on it.

Tags
steering