Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #1

Steering Wheel

I know the subject of the 18" leather wrapped steering wheel on the WCC has been covered in previous threads. I'm just posting this for anyone that might be interested in replacing the standard steering wheel with this upgrade. I ordered a 18" steering wheel from a company by the name of "VIP". It looks exactly like the WH custom piece and comes with the correct column hub already installed for a bolt on fit, even includes a horn button (not Workhorse insignia). Price including UPS shipping to my door was $129. I was looking for a wheel with a fatter grip diameter due to my arthritic fingers aching after a couple hours of gripping the skinny stocker and this fit the bill. Very good quality item
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That wheel is OEM on a lot of newer coaches. I have one of the smart wheels and they are nice. Only thing I wish was that mine was heated, we travel year round.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would like to replace mine with one that isn't as big in dia. Has anyone done that?
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Hi mocotom. Can you elaborate on the company you found this wheel at? I don't see anything that will fit the bill under just VIP. Thank you.
pwheelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwheelock View Post
Hi mocotom. Can you elaborate on the company you found this wheel at? I don't see anything that will fit the bill under just VIP. Thank you.

maybe this: Aftermarket Products | Vehicle Improvement Products Inc.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Your going to love that 18" wheel. I really like mine.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #7

The link posted is correct, the part number I bought was VP13-WH1. That is the leather wrapped wheel
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the smaller wheel but sold it a while back. You'll love the 18" wheel. When I bought my 05 that was the first thing I changed out.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #9

Saw your message about wanting a smaller steering wheel. I bought a 16 inch wheel from VIP and am very happy with it. I also have a 15 inch Workhorse wheel that I'm willing to sell.
Rivrman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I ordered a 18" steering wheel from a company by the name of "VIP". It looks exactly like the WH custom piece and comes with the correct column hub already installed for a bolt on fit, even includes a horn button (not Workhorse insignia).
What is the diameter of the OEM steering wheel, and does the replacement steering wheel come with disassembly and installation instructions?

Thank-you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #11

My 2008 W 22 came with a 18 inch wheel. I believe some of the older and smaller chassis came with a 15 inch wheel. Removal requires a puller. The swap only takes about 10 minutes. Remove the horn button, disconnect the wire from the button, remove the nut ( 3/4 I believe) from spline, attach puller and remove. Put new Wheel on spline, replace nut, hook up wire to horn button and replace button. VIP made the OEM wheel for the Workhorse chassis so replacement is pretty easy.
Call me picky but I felt the 18 inch wheel was too big and the 15 too small. I selected a VIP 16 inch wheel and think it's just right?
Rivrman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrman2 View Post
My 2008 W 22 came with a 18 inch wheel. I believe some of the older and smaller chassis came with a 15 inch wheel. Removal requires a puller. The swap only takes about 10 minutes. Remove the horn button, disconnect the wire from the button, remove the nut ( 3/4 I believe) from spline, attach puller and remove. Put new Wheel on spline, replace nut, hook up wire to horn button and replace button. VIP made the OEM wheel for the Workhorse chassis so replacement is pretty easy.
Call me picky but I felt the 18 inch wheel was too big and the 15 too small. I selected a VIP 16 inch wheel and think it's just right?
Thank-you for the updated information. I'll have to measure mine but I too would like it better if it was slightly smaller. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering