Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Exclamation STRANDED!! Need a brake line, any ideas?

Yes, this is one of those help, we are stranded posts. We are near Winchester, VA (actually Front Royal), and we had a blowout. We called emergency road service and they were able to put my spare on, and get me off the side of the highway.

Unfortunately, it was the inside tire on the rear right side, and the tire took out the rubber brake line that runs back to the metal line from the calaper. So, I'm looking for suggestions on the quickest way to get this part. Of course I realize it's labor day, and I was supposed to be back at work on Tuesday, but I've already emailed my boss to let him know my situation.

As always, any and all suggestions will be much appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I think I'd call Road Service back. -explain the situation and get help on the way. If that fails and you have a tow vehicle; unhook,find a auto parts chain store and see if they know of a reputable repair service in that area. Last suggestion would be find the local police dept and ask for help. They should know someone. You might try the last sugg. first.
Good Luck
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe - thanks for the quick reply. Actually I did get the road service back, they have been about as helpful as they possibly could have been, they called local International service, but they didn't have the brake line in their shop. The guy came out, took my brake line off, and took it back to his shop to try and find one that would work, but no luck. He said they had a local parts warehouse they deal with, but they won't be open until tomorrow. He din't charge me, and wouldn't even take the cash I tried twice to give him for his time and trouble!

We don't have a toad, but even if we were able to find a parts store open today, it's not likely that they would have a part such as this for an RV.

This truly is the downside of the RVing. Actually we were lucky...we had just came across I 68 from Morgantown, WV, across the Eastern Contiental Divide. When I thought about the possibility of this happening while going down one of those mountains and losing my brakes with my 2 year old son and also my wife I don't mind admitting I was pretty shaken up.

So, even though it's not looking so good right now, I was able to give some serious thanks to the lord above that it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Yes, this is one of those help, we are stranded posts. We are near Winchester, VA (actually Front Royal), and we had a blowout. We called emergency road service and they were able to put my spare on, and get me off the side of the highway.

Unfortunately, it was the inside tire on the rear right side, and the tire took out the rubber brake line that runs back to the metal line from the calaper. So, I'm looking for suggestions on the quickest way to get this part. Of course I realize it's labor day, and I was supposed to be back at work on Tuesday, but I've already emailed my boss to let him know my situation.

As always, any and all suggestions will be much appreciated!
Can you remove the damaged line? If so get it to a parts house they probably match it. You MIGHT find a NAPA, Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly's open but wouldn't count on it today.

Lee

'Retirement is grossly underrated '
Jo/Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Brake Line
Might also want to check a Chevy or GMC dealer for that hose since most likely their commercial vehicles use similar brake hoses. That said it's unlikely that they'll be open until tomorrow.

NAPA should be a good resource for you.

Here is a link to possibly some other useful resources:

Winchester Truck Dealers, Parts
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #6

Here is a RV repair center near you... hope this helps..

Joe
jerzeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Worse case, maybe you can cap off the line and proceed with the three brakes operational. Not ideal, and careful stops, but might get you home. Might try Home Depot or a Lowes for a cap or something to plug the line.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the great replies. Today I pinched the rubber line and put a screw in the end of it. I refilled the brake fluid and got my brakes back on three wheels. I cleared an extra vacation day tomorrow with my boss, so I'm hoping to at least be able to get a close match for the brake line with everything opening back up in the morning.

I already have a couple of phone numbers for shops that either may have the part, or something close enough for now. If these don't pan out, I now have a lot of other numbers to try, and that can only help.

Thanks again for all the great information, let's hope for a little luck in the morning!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try a search on "hydraulic line fabrication" without the quotes. You should be able to find a fabricator that will match the line that you have. You may even have one near you. Most cities have several places that will make a hydraulic line for you. They are regulated by codes if I remember correctly. Just ask what their guarantee is (or warranty).
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I contacted the local NAPA dealer by phone, he was unable to find any type of listing for a P32 chassis, but I am on my way now to try and see if what I have matches up with anything he has listed.

If ANYONE could get me part number information for a passenger side rear rubber brake line that runs from the caliper to the metal line, please post it and I would greatly appreciate it.

I will be checking back here if we have no luck matching something up at NAPA.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just about any hydraulic shop should be able to make a new hose with the proper connections in a short time. Check the yellow pages for Hydraulic sales and service.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

What is the last 8 digits of your VIN number? I can look up the Workhorse # for you.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I was able to match one up at NAPA. The guy there used a part number from a Workhorse listing that he did have, and it was an exact match. That brake line was sitting on his shelf some 6 miles away from where I got off the interstate!

I put it on, bled the back brakes and was on my way. We are now home safely, and of course I bought a spare brake line, just in case. Of course this means I will never again need one since I have a spare, but hey, I can always send it out if someone else is in a bind like I was.

Thanks again fellas, good to know you guys are out there!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool, A happy ending. I like when things go right once in a while.

Mike
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote