Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2004, 11:30 AM   #15

If my unit sits in storage for a long time (at least 30 days), I cannot move my lever out of park...It seems I have to wait awhile (5min) at idle and then everything is fine. I think this has something to do with vaccum (did I spell that right?)assist?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2004, 01:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Just about a year ago
I set out on the road
Seekin' my fame and fortune
And lookin' for a pot of gold
Things got bad, and things got worse
I guess you know the tune
Oh, Lord, stuck in Lodi again

Take your pick "Park" or "Lodi".
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:25 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Lanho,
There is an interlock between the brake pedal and the shift lever, so you cannot shift out of Park unless your foot is on the brake. I thought it was a simple switch on the pedal itself, but maybe it is dependent on vacuum? The chassis has an alternate vacuum pump to provide brake assist if the engine is not running. It should run when the key is on and charge the vacuum assist system. Starting the engine does the same. Shouldn't take five minutes, tho. 20-30 seconds should be enough.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RV Roamer:
Lanho,
There is an interlock between the brake pedal and the shift lever, so you cannot shift out of Park unless your foot is on the brake. I thought it was a simple switch on the pedal itself, but maybe it is dependent on vacuum? The chassis has an alternate vacuum pump to provide brake assist if the engine is not running. It should run when the key is on and charge the vacuum assist system. Starting the engine does the same. Shouldn't take five minutes, tho. 20-30 seconds should be enough. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I meant to say...vacuum assist of the brake pedal...It seems longer than 20-30 secs. I'll time it next time...I'm still under WC warranty for another year so I'm not too concerned today.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:42 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Today I went to the storage yard, to take the motorhome out and fill the gas tank with 1.83 per gallon gas just down the street. My space is totally flat and level.

When I arrived at the motorhome the first thing I noted was that the rear slide was extended about 1 or 1 ½ inches???

The chassis battery and the coach batteries were both disconnected through the master switches at the door, just as I had left them with the slides all the way in.

I turned on the batteries and checked them. The house batteries were at ¾ on the test panel scale. The starting battery was at 11.5 volts. The motorhome started without problem.

The problem was that I was unable to shift it out of park. It was totally locked up. I went through all the various exercises that came to mind but nothing worked. I had shut down the engine and re started it several times.

I held in the brake pedal while starting it and then I was able to take it out of park without problem.

I have not had this problem, before and I don't know what could have caused it. The last use was two weeks at Pismo Beach, a 400 mile round trip and no problem. It has been sitting in storage for about a month with morning lows at 30 degrees.

I note that the rear slide is about ½ inch from completely closing on the bottom on the front towards the door. Is there an interlock there that would preclude driving the coach if the slide is out or partially out. Why did not the hydraulic pressure left in the cylinder hold the slide in while it was parked? The front slide did not creep out any?

I know there is an interlock on the brake pedal to put the coach in gear. I could not see a interlock switch that I would guess is part of the brake light switch?? I Jiggled some wires around at the brake switch and this might have caused it to unlock.
The coach will be going into Leale's RV, our local WorkHorse Dealer shop the middle of next month for other warranty work. I will appreciate any imputes you might have before it goes into the shop that I can pass on to the personel there.
Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:41 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

The slide mechanism is the work of the coach body builder, not Workhorse. I doubt very much if they wired in an interlock for the slide, but I suppose it is possible. It might also be interlocked to the Parking Brake pedal, similar to the way the jacks are usually interlocked.

My Dolphin LX has no such interlock, but your Rexair may - different builders sometimes go about things in totally different ways.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:26 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I can start my motorhome with the slides out. I agree with Gary that there shouldn't be any interlock between the slideouts and the engine starter. There is an interlock on my rig that will keep you from operating the hydraulic system unless the parking brake is set.

Workhorse recommends that the parking brake not be set for extended periods of time such as for 3 or more months during winter storage. It's better to chock the wheels and leave the tranny in park.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:44 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd just like to add a few comments to this topic.

The W22 (mine anyway) uses a Bosch Hydro-Max power brake assist system that is hydraulically operated by the power steering pump. (See DriVer's post HERE.) There's no vacuum booster. If engine power is lost you'll still have braking assist if your key is on as there is an electrically operated pump built into the brake system that keeps the hydraulic pressure up in the event of a stall.

I don't think there's any kind of interlock that prevents the trans. from being shifted out of park if the slides are extended (at least not on Winnebagos). I watched as motorhomes were moved around on a dealer lot with the slides fully extended!
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 05:10 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Horsepowerfan:
I watched as motorhomes were moved around on a dealer lot with the slides fully extended! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You got that right!
Old 12-24-2004, 05:27 AM   #24

My friend had a 2002 Workhorse 8.1L P32 chassis with a 4L80E transmission. He called me to help get it out of park. We pulled/pushed on everyting, checked fuses and banged on linkages to no avail. Finally, by accident, I discovered a lever on the steering colum that goes thru the shift linkage that keeps you from taking out of park. The linkage is actuated by a pot at the bottom of the steering column. I pushed on this moving the rod and it came out of park. System worked after that, guess it was in a bind or something.

Bill Evans
bpe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:00 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer--Interesting statement about the parking brake. Could you tell us why WH made that statement? What harm are we doing by leaving the parking brake set? Extended time means what? One week or 3 months? I know when we are on the road and are at a park for over a week, I sometimes turn the key on to check everything out and charge the battery. I guess the jack alarm will let me know that the brakes are not set.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 03:05 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bigdaddy:
Interesting statement about the parking brake. Could you tell us why WH made that statement? What harm are we doing by leaving the parking brake set? Extended time means what? One week or 3 months? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll take a stab at this Bigdaddy. Since the parking brake is released using spring force I suspect it's possible that over time, if left on, the parking brake shoes could become fused to the inside surface of the driveline drum and it could be difficult to release them. Also, leaving the brake off reduces the constant strain on the cables and ferrules at the end of the cables which can break off over time. The Workhorse Chassis Maintenance Guide indicates that the parking brake should be left OFF during long storage periods such as winter hibernation. I don't think leaving it on for a few weeks at a campground will hurt anything. I may be off base on this so hopefully DriVer or Cruzer will enlighten us!

Back to being stuck in park, I have a tip to pass on to everyone that may be helpful if you seem to be having trouble shifting out of park as a result of improper Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) operation. There is a manual override procedure for the electric solenoid actuatuator that prevents shifting out of park without stepping on the brake. Follow these steps...

--Turn the ignition key to the "OFF-UNLOCK" position. (This is between "OFF" and "RUN".) You'll know the key's in the right position if your steering wheel is unlocked, but none of your dash warning lights are on and your gauges are inactive. Only the odometer or Driver infomation display will be on.

--Make sure your parking brake is set or you're holding your foot on the regular brake pedal to prevent unwanted vehicle movement during the next step.

--You should now be able to move the shifter out of "PARK" as the mechanical key cylinder interlock in the steering column is released and there's no power feed to the electric BTSI solenoid.

--You can start the engine with the shifter in the "NEUTRAL" position.

I tried this on my coach and it works.

There are a few things that can affect the operation of the BTSI system. They are improperly adjusted shift linkage and/or brake switch.

I hope you all find this information helpful and I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:01 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Horsepowerfan:
I may be off base on this so hopefully DriVer or Cruzer will enlighten us! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Horsepowerfan, No need, you accomplished a very clear explaination regarding long term application of the parking brake.

Bigdaddy, Please download the current version of the "Workhorse Motorhome Chassis Guide" available via link in the featured posts in this forum. You will find on Page 85 all the recommended proceedures that you have to consider for long term, &gt;3 months storage.

I knew that if I didn't respond to this immediately that someone would chime in on this issue. All that we see here is derrived from the Chassis Guide or from CDROM based Service Manuals.

Thanks for the question!
Old 12-26-2004, 06:08 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the tip on the BTSI, horsepowerfan. I'll try it the next time mine locks in Park.