Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Stuck in Park after Ignition Switch replacement

Friends:

I need your expert advise. I have read all the other posts on ignition problems and getting shifter stuck in Park, however my problems seem unique.

I finished replacing the ignition switch and harness on my 2002 Damon Daybreak - 3270 on the Workhorse P32 Chassis (8.1L 496, Hydramatic Trany) and now I am unable to get the transmission selector out of Park or Neutral when the engine is running.

Key in off position rotated to the first position (On position?, no dash lights yet) I can select any gear I wish, can even start it in N or P, once started I cannot change gears. Also, I am able to shift gears WITHOUT the brake pedal being depressed.

Next key position turns on dash lights, trany locks in position.

Next position is start, engine starts right up in P or N. Unable to switch gears.

Tail lights are good, high beam dimmer switch works fine.

The solenoid plunger at the 10 o/clock position moves and clicks when the brake is applied only when in park prior to starting.

I am concerned that I damaged the lock out switch solenoid (cylinder structure in 10 o/clock position that gets hot) when I replaced the ignition switch, although it moves.

Also concerned that the actual ignition switch needs to be adjusted up or down the column and that the green post that extends from the key is mispositioned or the "hockey stick" end is in the wrong slot in the ignition switch.

Is there a fuse that could have been blown that locks the shifter when running?

Parking brake seems to function normally. No other electrical abnormalities on the dash or elsewhere. When I turn the engine off and return the key to off (where the key can be removed), it can go 1-2 mm passed the off position, but not accessory lights come on.

Batteries are well charged >12.5v, minimal drop when loaded. Fluids are all full, parked on level surface without prawl. I tried to reset the system as described in the other posts and the workhorse manual (Shifting into neutral then starting engine and changing gears to drive normally), with no avail as I get locked in N when I do that sequence.

Thanks for your help, I am trying to get this unit back in storage as my city is threatening to tow me for parking on the street in excess of 48hrs.
wooz34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #2

Lead from brake to ignition switch harness??

Is there a wire from the ignition switch harness that receives voltage from the brake pedal that allows the transmission to shift out of Park when engine is running, maybe I have a bad connection at the harness or wire connector. What color is that wire so that I can trouble shoot?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #3

Sounds like you have a problem with what they call the BTSI. I don't know a lot about it but have a bit of information. Contact me at oldusedbear@nwtec.com

Roger - - aka oldusedbear at the AutoPark Library
Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In addition to the wire the other poster mentioned, there may well be an interlock in the steering column, Part of the steering wheel lock set up.. This may have become "Dislodged" during the switch replacement.. Alas, I've never actually looked at that part of the interlock so I can't be sure how to fix it (I have looked at the wheel lock just never the shifter lock)
Old 06-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not familar with your exact steering column, but I have worked on GM steering columns, it sounds like the mechanical lever that connects the lock clynder to the electrical ignition switch may be out of adjustment. Can you adjust the ignition switchswitch up or down? Or what about the upper part of the mechicanical lever, is it in the correct position or posibly off a little bit. Just a thought.
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #6

Resolved

I ended up moving the ignition switch towards the steering wheel and it resolved my issues completely. Thanks to everyone that replied!!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update, they are very important.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooz34 View Post
I ended up moving the ignition switch toward the steering wheel and it resolved my issues completely. Thanks to everyone that replied!!
wooz34, I continuously see that day in and day out problem resolutions that that have been experienced by members are quick to turn a poor situation into a success story for other members. Please feel welcome to come back and visit us and share your experiences with the other members that participate here as well.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote