Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Clearly, at 50% of the price of Sumo Springs, Sumo Solo Springs are a different animal. Can you, rapid rick, or someone else enlighten us. It appears to me that they might be a lighter version for smaller rigs than the typical Class A.

As far as the "standard" Sumo Springs, the rears are more expensive than the fronts. For example, Amazon's prices for the W22 version are $161.78 front and $547.88 rear.

For $161.78 the fronts are worth a try, just to see if they help, but I'd have to know more before spending $548 for the rears. I'd DIY the install.

Here's an ETrailer comparison:

https://www.etrailer.com/comparison....pc2=SSR-130-54
BCam,
the solo springs that e-trailer has listed is exactly what I have on the rear of my 22000lb chassis. $275. and 30 minutes to install.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 06:35 AM   #30

Installation time assumes no rust. If you have to wrench bolts off with limited access, your time goes up substantially. Taking the old ones off can be a bit of a pain because there is a center bolt that needs to be removed. Once loose, the spring just rotates. So it is difficult to grab the old spring to prevent rotation while loosening the bolt.

If you are trying to fix perceived looseness I the front end, surprisingly, a rear track bar will make a huge difference in control of the vehicle. It is the single best handling improvement that can be done to a W22 chassis.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
BCam,
the solo springs that e-trailer has listed is exactly what I have on the rear of my 22000lb chassis. $275. and 30 minutes to install.
Rick, I assume your 2013 is a Ford chassis. Just wondering if the solo springs will fit a W22?
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post
Rick, I assume your 2013 is a Ford chassis. Just wondering if the solo springs will fit a W22?
They should, but check the application before buying. The solo's are about twice as tall as the bump stops,so there is no gap between the bottom of the summo and the top of the rear end. But when sitting level they are compressed only about 1/4 inch. And yes, mine is a ford.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts about Sumosprings. Not knowing what they are I looked them up on the internet. They looked surprisingly familiar. It seems that my 2003 34' Georgetown on the Workhorse W22 chassis has these on the front only when I bought it.

My coach seems to drive VERY well and I believe that the suspension is stock other than the Sumosprings on the front and the Bilstein shocks I installed soon after I bought it. I don't perceive it needs much help.

I know it has no aftermarket sway bars, track bars or anything of that nature.

My question, has anyone placed these on the front only of their W22 chassis? How much difference did it make?
I started this thread with this post and question. I made the statement highlighted in red above.

After reading more posts and reading more on the internet I decided that what I had was the stock yellow bump stops.

So...I decided to order the Sumo Springs from Amazon. Everyone seems to have the same price for part number SSF-280-47 the ones I purchased. $165.38

I got some things that looked surprisingly like the original bump stops but were black and were not hollow like the yellow ones are. Turns out they are the same height as my yellow bump stops but bigger in diameter. The bounce characteristic reminds be of a superball!

I mounted them with no special problems. The original bump stops had about 1" space between the frame and the axle and so do these.

I won't drive it until spring so I won't know until then if I made an improvement or just traded my yellow bump stops for some black bump stops and spent $165.38.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts about Sumosprings. Not knowing what they are I looked them up on the internet. They looked surprisingly familiar. It seems that my 2003 34' Georgetown on the Workhorse W22 chassis has these on the front only when I bought it.

My coach seems to drive VERY well and I believe that the suspension is stock other than the Sumosprings on the front and the Bilstein shocks I installed soon after I bought it. I don't perceive it needs much help.

I know it has no aftermarket sway bars, track bars or anything of that nature.

My question, has anyone placed these on the front only of their W22 chassis? How much difference did it make?
The Sumosprings make a difference related to swaying and stability.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They make a difference. I installed them on the front (2003 National RV Dolphin). Noticed difference immediately driving over the speed bumps when leaving storage facility. Smoother on the road and less harsh when going over regular type road bumps. Noticably less sway.

About to install the Sumos on the rear - W22 chassis.

Any tips about this installation? It seems reasonably straight forward.
keef033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by keef033 View Post
They make a difference. I installed them on the front (2003 National RV Dolphin). Noticed difference immediately driving over the speed bumps when leaving storage facility. Smoother on the road and less harsh when going over regular type road bumps. Noticably less sway.

About to install the Sumos on the rear - W22 chassis.

Any tips about this installation? It seems reasonably straight forward.

Would love your feedback after installation. I only have the fronts right now and have no way to remove rear tires so I would need to install the rears with the tires in place.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Would love your feedback after installation. I only have the fronts right now and have no way to remove rear tires so I would need to install the rears with the tires in place.
Will do. I can't take my wheels off as well. We will see.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will be taking mine to a shop to get them installed. Just not enough room under there for me to do the job. Also, there is some equipment in the way on driver's side. Not sure what it is, but makes it makes the space to work even tighter. I can't take the wheels off either. Ah well.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181109_145221.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	225521Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181109_145130.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	225522
Old 11-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #39

In the rear, the Sumo Springs replace the old bump stop on the outside of the frame - not where your photos show. Yes, you have to take the wheels off, which is easy to do - you just have to buy a Dewalt electric impact tool for less than 200 bucks. You may want to use a nut spliter on the nut that holds the old bump stop on. While it may turn, it is difficult to hold the old bump stop from turning.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Sumos are bolted onto the frame in two places and also clamped onto the spring. The Sumos for front replace the bump stop. The rear is a bit more I think.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...-280-54-1.html
Old 11-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #41

I see, They mount like Air lift. They do then mount in the same location as the bump stops then, but use a different bracket on top. Mounting to the spring is the easy part. You will need to drill into the frame to mount the upper bracket.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Yes, you have to take the wheels off, which is easy to do - you just have to buy a Dewalt electric impact tool for less than 200 bucks. You may want to use a nut spliter on the nut that holds the old bump stop on. While it may turn, it is difficult to hold the old bump stop from turning.

I don’t see in the W22/W24 instructions where the wheels are removed, although it would provide better access.

The instructions do say to raise the wheels off the ground, but I personally would lift one side at a time and likely not off the ground and only enough to get the Sumo in place.

When I did the fronts, I used the jacks to lift the coach just enough to get the Sumo in place and the wheels were still in contact with the ground.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote