Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sumo Springs

Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts about Sumosprings. Not knowing what they are I looked them up on the internet. They looked surprisingly familiar. It seems that my 2003 34' Georgetown on the Workhorse W22 chassis has these on the front only when I bought it.

My coach seems to drive VERY well and I believe that the suspension is stock other than the Sumosprings on the front and the Bilstein shocks I installed soon after I bought it. I don't perceive it needs much help.

I know it has no aftermarket sway bars, track bars or anything of that nature.

My question, has anyone placed these on the front only of their W22 chassis? How much difference did it make?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #2

Sumosprings

I recently placed Sumos on the front of my W22 chassis. I think it’s made a huge difference in handling, especially on bumpy roads.
tjplue1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjplue1984 View Post
I recently placed Sumos on the front of my W22 chassis. I think it’s made a huge difference in handling, especially on bumpy roads.
Can you elaborate on the specifics of the "before and after" comparison. A huge difference in terms of what?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #4

Less play in the steering wheel on rough roads. Less up and down movement. The ride is much smoother.
tjplue1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed front Sumo Springs some years ago. I think they softened the bump that comes with tar strips, patches, etc. And lessened the noise, as well. Working theory is same as original "like air" snubbers, but I think the different material, and size, makes the compression more progressive. "Results may vary."
Old 08-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #6

Thanks, I haven't experienced any noticeable steering issues with mine but I do notice pretty sharp bumps from tar strips, patches, etc. They're more noticeable at lower speeds. I experienced some improvement when I fine-tuned my tire pressures after weighing but they're still harsher than I'd like.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:02 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everybody.

Next quetion: Why didn't you install them on the rear?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:35 AM   #8

Sumosprings

I just installed the fronts but haven’t driven it yet. I didn’t do the rears for two reasons, first the installation is a bit more involved and second the fronts are relatively inexpensive so if they don’t work out I am not out a lot of money. Also, not too sure on the rears because they are attached top and bottom and someone recently had them rip in two. Think the theory was the jacks overextended them. They do make a two piece rear, just not for the Workhorse chassis.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I just installed the fronts but haven’t driven it yet. I didn’t do the rears for two reasons, first the installation is a bit more involved and second the fronts are relatively inexpensive so if they don’t work out I am not out a lot of money. Also, not too sure on the rears because they are attached top and bottom and someone recently had them rip in two. Think the theory was the jacks overextended them. They do make a two piece rear, just not for the Workhorse chassis.
I'm anxious to hear what you notice from the front-only installation.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I'm anxious to hear what you notice from the front-only installation.
Hopefully will find out next week when we go to Maine now that my other repairs are done.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #11

My rig has had all 4 tires off the ground multiple times with no Sumo failure front or back.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
My rig has had all 4 tires off the ground multiple times with no Sumo failure front or back.

This is the thread I was referring to.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/sumo...re-399512.html
Old 08-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
This is the thread I was referring to.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/sumo...re-399512.html
That was my post. So you know I never raised the tires off the ground. Sumo said the springs were not glued properly. They replaced them no questions asked and gave me the option to replace with the same springs I had or the new two piece spring. Obvious from the pic I went with the new two piece.

Leaving on a two week trip soon so I'll be able to compare the difference between the two designs

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #14

Ahhh, ok. Needless to say when I walked into the Chevy dealership and saw my coach up on the leveling Jacks with no tires underneath it I was a bit surprised.