Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suspension Weirdness

I bought this 2003 Workhorse W22 chassis under a Rexhall 30' MH new in 2004. It had six miles on it when I picked it up at the factory. All the work done was viewed by me with the one exception when Beaudry RV put on the stabilizer upgrade sold by Workhorse for pre 2005 chassis. It added a 2.5 stabilizer bar and Bilstein shocks.

All the years it has pulled to the right (not drifted but pulled with weird wear on the outside of the front right tire. Many alignments and money resulted in no change. Thinking the stabilizer bar was put in under a side tension situation I decided to loosen the clamps and re-tighten when it was on the ground with a load on it.

That's when I discovered that three of the four ends of the front springs had a 3/8" plate BETWEEN the leafs of the springs. Both the left and right rear of the front springs have the plate(spacer). The pictures show the front of the right front spring has the spacer but the front of the left front spring does not.

I researched the FSM, did a search on here and elsewhere and nowhere can I find any reference or mention of spacers/plates between the leaves of the front springs. Anyone have any knowledge of what these are? BTW the coach has been four tire weighted and has less than 200 pound inbalance side to side and is way under axle and GVW limits. I have circled the plate/spacer in the picture of the front right and included the front left for comparison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165_1revised.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	137439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0166_1revised.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	137440  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have no experience working on a WH chassis. My comments are just observations and thinking out loud. Yes you do have a weird situation.

We had a 78 23' Class C on a Dodge chassis. the right rear spring sagged one year and they put a 1" spacer under that side of the rear leaf spring. No that was no on the end but in the middle and it was on the rear. I felt no driving or had no tire wear issues. Again that was in the middle and on the rear.

If the left side of the coach is 3/8" lower that might cause the right tire to be cambered in or negative causing inside tie wear. You reported outside tire wear.

Can you remove the shim from the front right side or add one to the left side and see what happens???
Old 08-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The items you are talking about are nylon spacers to reduce noise. Without them the springs can make a clanking sound. I had to have my replaced a couple of times as they will split and fall out eventually. They have nothing to do with the alignment of the front end.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Now (according to poster #3) we know they are plastic (that's easy to check and confirm with a knife). You can have them replaced and see what happens. Finding a shop that knows what they are may assure you that the shop knows a bit more than the other shops that have aligned it before.

Poster #3 knows what they are and has had them replaced. If missing one does not effect any alignment issues then you still have an alignment problem.

Tires won't wear out weird unless the wheel is not tracking correctly in relation to the frame and the other wheels.

You are getting some information and maybe a direction.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, these are steel 3/8 thick. I have the plastic shims from WCC and the plastic ones are not the ones I'm talking about. If you look closely between the spring leaves you'll see what I'm talking about. The plastic shims are to the side of the leaves.

I also had an old Scout that a spacer was put between the spring and the axle to get ride height the same but these spacers are between the spring leaves which makes no sense.

If someone with a W22 chassis look underneath and let me know if they have these plates I'd appreciate it. I could understand no or four spacers but three doesn't compute. To remove or add a spacer appears to be a big job in that the spring pack has to be disassembled. It can be done but I'd like to find out why WCC would do this. I'm pretty sure Rexhall didn't
Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did look closely and they looked like metal spacers to me. I was just going by what kennersonf said that they might be plastic. OK they are metal.

If you look at the top of this page under RV Forums you'll find a Workhorse Custom Chassis. Maybe a forum administrator can move this thread into that forum and you'll get some answers. Or you can just start a thread in that forum. Is there a workhorse chassis forum??

I asked someone to move this thread.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
scoutmstr,

I have the identical 2003 chassis on our 2004 Allegro. The spacers are on both front springs at the front and rear of the spring, I just went out and checked. Looks like you have one missing as you suspected.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
TeJay,

Wake up! scoutmstrs post is on the Workhorse Chassis forum.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
scoutmstr,

I have the identical 2003 chassis on our 2004 Allegro. The spacers are on both front springs at the front and rear of the spring, I just went out and checked. Looks like you have one missing as you suspected.

Thank you very much. Don't know why they are there but important thing is that there should be four. Thanks again
Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scoutmstr, I know about the plastic tabs between the spring and the spring mount. Have you tried scratching what you believe are metal shims with a knife or screwdriver. It looks like your springs and shims have been painted. My leave springs and suspension parts are black and the shims are white.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #11

Just looked at our 2003 W22 chassis. Spacers at all 4 corners of the front springs. Poking them with a screwdriver it appears they may be polyurethane, not steel.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Just looked at our 2003 W22 chassis. Spacers at all 4 corners of the front springs. Poking them with a screwdriver it appears they may be polyurethane, not steel.
Can you take a picture of what you're talking about? I hit mine with a punch and a 2# sledge and mine are definitely steel.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
Scoutmstr, I know about the plastic tabs between the spring and the spring mount. Have you tried scratching what you believe are metal shims with a knife or screwdriver. It looks like your springs and shims have been painted. My leave springs and suspension parts are black and the shims are white.
I was talking about between the spring leaves not between the spring and the spring mount. Those on mine are very thin plastic and are white. Can you take a picture of your spring leaves and post it?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
Can you take a picture of what you're talking about? I hit mine with a punch and a 2# sledge and mine are definitely steel.
I can take a pic but not sure it will tell you much, can't get a very clear shot at it. Mine are definitely black. A 1/4" to 3/8" square spacer as wide as the spring leaves. I just poked one with a sharp awl and doesn't appear to be steel. Just took a shower so maybe tomorrow I can crawl under get a better look.

Tags
suspension