Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #1

Question Sway bar and Davis trac

Would adding the IPD sway bar for a W-24 and the Davis Trac bar up front aid in the drivibility of a coach that may have such issues? Newmar 2005, triple slide, 36' Mt Aire?

Thanks. Beautiful coach, ride/drive may be an issue without.

DrHumphrey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exactly what driveability issues are you having with your coach? Different problems need different solutions.

The first thing to check is alignment and tire pressures. Have the coach weighed (preferably all 4 corners) before setting tire pressures. Otherwise, you're just guessing.

We have a 2005 W24, and we cured our wandering issues by adding a rear track bar.

A sway bar will help roll or leaning when turning.

New shocks will help porpoising (excessive up and down motion).

paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I added front and rear sway bars and a rear track bar to my W24, it made a huge difference! Kind of sad they don't come from the factory pre-installed because they are truely needed!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_P View Post
I added front and rear sway bars and a rear track bar to my W24, it made a huge difference! Kind of sad they don't come from the factory pre-installed because they are truly needed!
Paul, The Workhorse SSC (Super Sport Chassis) did come with track bars, headers, horn button, logos and jackets (2). Expensive, "Yes." Are there some out there; Yes there are. Coachmen delivered a few SSC optioned chassis because I saw one on the ground at the Tampa Supershow back in 2006.

If a vehicle was delivered by Winnebago for instance with the equipment that you had installed on your rig, you could expect to bump up the MSRP by $4,000.00.

In our experreince we have seen where some rigs need a little this or that but not all drivers will tell you that they need anything to improve their ride performance. It's just as well that we each determine what our needs are and find our own solutions.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I added a Davis Track Bar on my Workhorse (Front) and a Blue Ox true center steering stablizer.. Never noticed any sway issues (Side to side rocking)

I'm told a rear track bar, if you don't have one, is better than a front one but trust me, the front + True Center made a word of differnece on this house.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't mind...what's the cost for Davis Track Bar on my Workhorse (Front) and a Blue Ox true center steering stablizer
JFGOBUCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I added a Davis Track Bar on my Workhorse (Front) and a Blue Ox true center steering stabilizer.. Never noticed any sway issues (Side to side rocking)

I'm told a rear track bar, if you don't have one, is better than a front one but trust me, the front + True Center made a word of difference on this house.
wa8yxm, I started from the rear and moved forward. In my application the yards of overhang that I have were more than attenuated by the addition of a track rear on the rear axle.

Now having the rear track bar and fully appreciating its performance via "Butt Dyno", the front axle began to feel squirrelly and slight steering corrections were needed to be cranked in under difficult road conditions. Addressing this I went with a front track bar and a Safe-T-Plus.

Subsequent to this install, the rig handled like it was on rails. In regard to the yaw that was dominant since the rig was new at the time the yaw went to practically 0 pounds of moment force. I do get a slight push from mother nature's wind when I get passed close-in by an 18 wheeler but I can recover so quickly that it's a non-event.

Currently the only axis that I need to resolve would be "Roll" where the box goes from side to side when hitting a big road surface change on one side of the other. Thank goodness that yaw only presents possibly 5% of the time that we are on the road but it would be nice to get it under control as well.

Koni FSD shocks have improved my previous "Pitch" situation which was annoying.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGOBUCS View Post
If you don't mind...what's the cost for Davis Track Bar on my Workhorse (Front) and a Blue Ox true center steering stabilizer
Davis no longer makes the Tru-Center I believe they sold the business to Roadmaster.

You can call Brazel's RV Performance about their line of Ultra-Track bars and the Safe-T-Plus.

If you are inclined to do business with Blue Ox, call the folks at RVUpgrades.com for pricing on Tiger Track and Tru-Center.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi:

Just a thought.

You might want to price Roadmaster steering systems from several suppliers. It is always good to get more than one bid on national products. I have Roadmaster products on 04 w22, front and rear, that really made a difference in ride and confort.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGOBUCS View Post
If you don't mind...what's the cost for Davis Track Bar on my Workhorse (Front) and a Blue Ox true center steering stablizer
I Could not tell you today, I did this in 2006 and prices have gone up up up
Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Davis no longer makes the Tru-Center I believe they sold the business to Roadmaster.

You can call Brazel's RV Performance about their line of Ultra-Track bars and the Safe-T-Plus.

If you are inclined to do business with Blue Ox, call the folks at RVUpgrades.com for pricing on Tiger Track and Tru-Center.
True-Track (Yes it is made by Roadmaster but it still carries the Davis name, no relation by the way (my name is also Davis)

True Center, That is the blue ox product

To the person who commented he started at the rear... Well, I THOUGHT I was ordering the rear bar when I got the front one.. My bad,, But the end result was more than pleasant.

I will likely do the rear in a few years when it becomes possible.. However that said.. I'm not sure how much improvement that one will make

I've only felt two trucks in six years.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will likely do the rear in a few years when it becomes possible.. However that said.. I'm not sure how much improvement that one will make .... I've only felt two trucks in six years.
wa8yxm, In as honest of a comment that I can make, I noticed the difference in the rear track bar as soon as I made the very first turn out of my parking location in Stamford, CT. The motorhome didn't go loose when I made that first turn like it did so many times before I installed the bar. My Butt Dyno told me so!

Morale of the story .... "No trucks required!"
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had SteerSafe installed after I drove this thing the first time. As far as I'm concerned that is all that is needed. I've never had a problem with the rear end flopping but I am considering a rear sway bar this Summer as a "just in case" type thing
Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I've never had a problem with the rear end flopping but I am considering a rear sway bar this Summer as a "just in case" type thing
Finhawk, In our discussions about Workhorse chassis dynamics over the past 10 years we have not yet encountered the term, "flopping". therefore I would offer kudos to the originator, Finhawwk, for the introduction of the term.

Could you please, in brief, please describe the properties of a "flop" if I may address the dynamic using that term as a noun.

Thank you.