Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2007, 05:18 AM   #1

I have just done the Koni shock upgrade and did it make a huge difference.

I have a 2004 W20 32' Allegro and am wondering which would be the next best upgrade a track bar on the front axle or a sway bar in the back. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2007, 05:18 AM   #2

I have just done the Koni shock upgrade and did it make a huge difference.

I have a 2004 W20 32' Allegro and am wondering which would be the next best upgrade a track bar on the front axle or a sway bar in the back. Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
There is a difference in a trac bar and a sway bar.

Front Trac Bar

Rear Sway Bar with a Rear Trac bar installed on a W18 Chassis. This is very similar to a NASCAR setup.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #4

That is a good question and I am hoping some of you with both trac bars and sway bars will comment on your observations between the benefits and cost of the various options.

I upgraded my 2003 to Bilsteins front and rear and though it made a huge difference in the stability I would consider doing additional mods if I better understood each one and its benefit.

Comments?
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #5

I have both front and rear trac bars. For me the rear trac bar took care of about 85% of my problem (18 wheeler push or yawl). Then I added Steer Safe and that helped with the constant wheel correction. The front trac bar took care of the last 10% or so. I can drive with little or no wheel correction.

Would I add sway bars? Not at the current time, as i have very little body roll.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Dale,
In your first picture, did I detect two Steer Safe's??

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruppr:
... did I detect two Steer Safe's?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #8

Yea... one for each side
Old 04-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
dnebout,
I added the Henderson Rear Track Bar and Tru-Center steering stabilizer at the same time and they made a tremendous difference in handling. There is little or no reaction to semi's passing plus much more stability in corners as well as much better tracking in cross winds etc. It's hard to say which helped the most but I think the track bar did the most good with stability with semi's and cornering and the Tru-Center keeps the coach in line in cross winds or crowned roads plus gives added security in case of a blow out etc.

Good luck with your choice,
Dave
Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davel:
... the Tru-Center keeps the coach in line in cross winds or crowned roads plus gives added security in case of a blow out etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dave, Please let us know when you purchased and installed your Blue Ox Tru-Center.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:25 AM   #11

Ok thanks guys. I'm going with the Track bar in the rear first. Just need to shop it at this point.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dnebout:
Ok thanks guys. I'm going with the Track bar in the rear first. Just need to shop it at this point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>But wait, there's more.

A track bar and anti-sway bar solve different problems.

A sway bar counters the rocking or leaning motion of the RV. These occur most as you turn a corner or enter/exit a driveway. They do not improve the ride or help much with side winds or rutted roads.

Track bars are designed to keep the chassis located above the axles. Vehicles with coil springs and solid axles MUST have track bars to stay together. Vehicles with leaf spring will often depend on the rigidity of the leaf springs to keep the chassis and axles aligned. With large vehicles like RV with big slab sides and weights that are close to maximum even when unloaded, side winds, rutted roads and what you are towing, can make the steering squirrelly.

This occurs because the front or rear of the big box is shifting sideways, which slightly modifies the steering angle and you need to make more steering control actions. The track bars counter this sideways push.

Ideally you would install track bars at both ends of a W20/22/24, but often installing only one will tighten up the control enough to become acceptable. I have only the front track bar and most of my problems were solved. I plan to add the rear, but it is not a priority.

Evaluation and upgrade list (test drives occur between each step):

1) Weigh the vehicle, all four corners, and adjust weight distribution as needed.
2) Determine correct tire pressure and apply.
3) Have the alignment checked and corrected.
4) How is the ride? Consider shocks.
5) Do you have problems with rutted roads, cross winds, passing vehicles or the toad pushing you around? Install a front or rear track bar.
6) Did the track bar help? Is it still a problem? Install the other track bar.
7) Does the vehicle lean too much in a corner, does it sway a lot when entering/exiting a driveway? Install a steering stabilizers (both ends).
8) Still want more stability in the steering wheel? Install a steering stabilizer. This is last because the other items will have more effect. A steering stabilizer before track bars only hides the root problem.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #13

Good steps
Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer,
I installed the Tru-Center last July, 05, just before we left for the Winnebago GNR.

Dave